18-19 Roster Depth

We take a look at the 18-19 roster depth, which at least for me might be the best we've had in decades, albeit with some unproven freshmen.  If Juwan Morgan returns IU will have 13, and maybe 14 B1G caliber players.  If you click through here you'll see we also have a separate article up on Evan Fitzner, who IU met with yesterday and who could be that 14th piece.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/indianas-2018-19-roster-should-be-talented-long-and-deep/

i'll be interested to see how CAM deals with that depth.  i always hated how Crean had a 14 man rotation in close games.  i will forever argue that no more than 10 should play in a close game and that #9 and #10 shouldn't necessarily get much time in close games.  so i guess my stab at how those 3 men out would be is 3 of Moore, Thompson, Anderson, and Forrester?  of course if Davis is out longer and/or Morgan were to leave, i could see only two of those guys without a role.  

22 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i'll be interested to see how CAM deals with that depth.  i always hated how Crean had a 14 man rotation in close games.  i will forever argue that no more than 10 should play in a close game and that #9 and #10 shouldn't necessarily get much time in close games.  so i guess my stab at how those 3 men out would be is 3 of Moore, Thompson, Anderson, and Forrester?  of course if Davis is out longer and/or Morgan were to leave, i could see only two of those guys without a role.  

I think Thompson will be a big part of the rotation, considering that we’re going to be very young and he’s a talented kid that’s going to be in his second year in the program.  Anderson, Forrester, and I guess Moore seem like the most likely candidates to average fewer than 10 mpg.

i guess to be fair, i haven't done any research on Thompson.  maybe i am selling him short.  it's just so rare to redshirt these days.  i didn't realize he was recruited by Michigan, Marquette, Minnesota, and Iowa St.  not bad.  i also see that he was at least considered a top 150 kid depending on where you look.  factor that in with another year of maturing physically and mentally and being in the system and maybe we have more size depth than i realized.  

6 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i guess Forrester was recruited by Pitt, GT, VT, and Xavier.  not bad either.  i see him listed as small as 6'7'' and as big as 6'10''.  pretty big difference.  Anderson was recruited by ND, Purdue, Mich St., and Michigan.  i like it.   

Thompson will be in the rotation if not starting. Forrester is also 6'10.

1 minute ago, DC2345 said:

Thompson will be in the rotation if not starting. Forrester is also 6'10.

I've heard he looked good in practice this spring. Anything else that you know about how he is developing and what to expect from him?

BTW, welcome to HSN!

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i've probably missed it, but any reports on how Thompson was in practice compared to Moore?

Miller made several comments during the season highlighting how pleased he was with Thompson's development.  I agree with what others have said that he is a dark horse here and will surprise a lot of people.  He won't start over Morgan/Smith IMO, but if Davis is still coming back it could leave an opening.

10 hours ago, Reacher said:

I've heard he looked good in practice this spring. Anything else that you know about how he is developing and what to expect from him?

BTW, welcome to HSN!

Thanks I was a member of HSN 2.0 before the change. I know I saw some pictures a few weeks ago that showed how much his body has changed over the last year and he has been pretty impressive this spring from what I've heard as well. 

Good Dakich has been talking for a few days about a phone call recently with CAM.  Over those days at various times talking about how IU stacks up in the conference Dak is acting like a prognosticator, saying that Justin Smith is going to be a beast and to watch out for Race.  I'm thinking he was told good things by Arch.  

2 hours ago, rico said:

No, he will get less.  I bet Priller never sees the floor.

A chill ran down my spine. I literally had a moment I thought he had another year of eligibility somehow. 

Then I googled it and found the grace of God’s truth. Thank Jesus the Priller scholar-suck is over.

4 minutes ago, zerawkid said:

A chill ran down my spine. I literally had a moment I thought he had another year of eligibility somehow. 

Then I googled it and found the grace of God’s truth. Thank Jesus the Priller scholar-suck is over.

I like Priller as much as the next guy, but
I do not believe that this is what Archie meant when he said all scholarships not being 'used'.

Archived