Finish the sentence. De'Ron may be the most effective

milehiiu

11 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

You ever heard of a guy named Cody Zeller?

Yep.  You remember Crean having him drive the ball from the top of the key and shooting threes?  I do.  You remember all of the plays designed to post him up and get easy baskets?  Me neither.  Like I said, Crean had his bigs on the perimeter too much for my taste.  That kept them from being as effective as they should have been.

1 hour ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Yep.  You remember Crean having him drive the ball from the top of the key and shooting threes?  I do.  You remember all of the plays designed to post him up and get easy baskets?  Me neither.  Like I said, Crean had his bigs on the perimeter too much for my taste.  That kept them from being as effective as they should have been.

Cody Zeller attempted two three point shots in his entire career. I actually remember being lamenting Zeller should have shot many, many more mid-range and even three pointers than he did. 

3 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Zeller took like 5 shots outside of 10 feet in 2 years. Did he handle the ball on the perimeter? Sure, but he had that skill set so why not use it? Zeller is not a back to the basket big, it's just not his skillset , doesn't mean he wasn't an excellent big. 

Im hopeful Deron will have a breakout year, but he has a lot of work to do before he'll be as good as Zeller or Thomas Bryant were. 

20 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

You ever heard of a guy named Cody Zeller?

Yes I do and I have a jersey with his signature on it that was given to me by my brother in law but in terms of playing and someone mentioned this I don't think he was a low post player but I do remember there were times when refs would not call things on other players when guarding him and we all remember his performance against Syracuse and what Trevor Mbakwe did against him when playing at Minnesota. 

I don't know if it's "Crean resentment" or what, but I feel like the fanbase, and this is just based of ready various message boards, is going to great lengths to minimize just how good both Cody Zeller and Thomas Bryant were. Neither players career ended how they wanted it too, but both were fantastic players. 

I'm excited about Deron, no doubt, but he has a lot of performing to do before I'm ready to say he's anywhere near Zeller or Bryant. Zeller was an All-American and top 4 NBA pick and Bryant as a freshmen was a huge cog (probably 2nd most important player) in IU winning the title and getting to the Sweet Sixteen. 

23 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don't know if it's "Crean resentment" or what, but I feel like the fanbase, and this is just based of ready various message boards, is going to great lengths to minimize just how good both Cody Zeller and Thomas Bryant were. Neither players career ended how they wanted it too, but both were fantastic players. 

I'm excited about Deron, no doubt, but he has a lot of performing to do before I'm ready to say he's anywhere near Zeller or Bryant. Zeller was an All-American and top 4 NBA pick and Bryant as a freshmen was a huge cog (probably 2nd most important player) in IU winning the title and getting to the Sweet Sixteen. 

Having personally watched De'Ron evolve since 8th grade... one  thing I know.  He is willing to work hard. And learn. 

What excites me most about this upcoming year, is how hard he has worked this summer to transform his body.  Excited to see how that transformation relates to his being able to step up his game as a low poster. 

15 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Having personally watched De'Ron evolve since 8th grade... one  thing I know.  He is willing to work hard. And learn. 

What excites me most about this upcoming year, is how hard he has worked this summer to transform his body.  Excited to see how that transformation relates to his being able to step up his game as a low poster. 

I'm not questioning Deron, just saying I have seen a lot of minimizing over the last few months on how good Zeller and Bryant were. Probably because their careers ended on disappointing notes and they played for Crean, but both were studs and fantastic players. 

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'm not questioning Deron, just saying I have seen a lot of minimizing over the last few months on how good Zeller and Bryant were. Probably because their careers ended on disappointing notes and they played for Crean, but both were studs and fantastic players. 

No.  I am actually agreeing.  De'Ron has a lot to prove this year. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

i'm with you here.  i feel like a lot of people are more negative about Cody than i would think, but clearly so about Bryant.  it seems many flat out bash him like he was from a rival team.  i think Davis will make a leap this year, but Bryant and Cody were McD AAs and pretty solid players.

I like DD. I think he has a lot of potential. But since this thread is about comparing him to former IU big men, I'm going to throw this stat comparison out there:

Thomas Bryant, freshman year: 11.9 PPG, 5.8 RPG, 68% FG in 22 MPG for the Big Ten champs

De'Ron Davis, freshman year: 5.9 PPG, 3.1 RPG, 48% FG in 14 MPG for a 7-11 team

Archived