Finish the sentence. De'Ron may be the most effective

milehiiu

28 minutes ago, Shooter said:

I like DD. I think he has a lot of potential. But since this thread is about comparing him to former IU big men, I'm going to throw this stat comparison out there:

Thomas Bryant, freshman year: 11.9 PPG, 5.8 RPG, 68% FG in 22 MPG for the Big Ten champs

De'Ron Davis, freshman year: 5.9 PPG, 3.1 RPG, 48% FG in 14 MPG for a 7-11 team

Thomas Bryant, freshman year stats per 40 minutes: 21 ppg, 10.2 rpg, 68.3% FG

De'Ron Davis, freshman year stats per 40 minutes: 17 ppg, 9 rpg, 48.5% FG

Bryant had a much better team around him his freshman year, which made it a lot easier on him.  And then regressed as a sophomore.  We're counting on Davis to make the jump that we hoped Bryant was going to.

50 minutes ago, Shooter said:

I like DD. I think he has a lot of potential. But since this thread is about comparing him to former IU big men, I'm going to throw this stat comparison out there:

Thomas Bryant, freshman year: 11.9 PPG, 5.8 RPG, 68% FG in 22 MPG for the Big Ten champs

De'Ron Davis, freshman year: 5.9 PPG, 3.1 RPG, 48% FG in 14 MPG for a 7-11 team

Fair enough.  However, I have got to ask who Thomas had ahead of him, his freshman year.  The answer is.... nobody. Thomas was the only true center on the team his freshman year.  And we all know who De'Ron had ahead of him, his freshman year. And that was Thomas.

So.... based on that.... I envision a big year for De'Ron.  This year, he is THE man in the middle, just as was Thomas, last year.

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Thomas Bryant, freshman year stats per 40 minutes: 21 ppg, 10.2 rpg, 68.3% FG

De'Ron Davis, freshman year stats per 40 minutes: 17 ppg, 9 rpg, 48.5% FG

Bryant had a much better team around him his freshman year, which made it a lot easier on him.  And then regressed as a sophomore.  We're counting on Davis to make the jump that we hoped Bryant was going to.

Bryant's numbers still look better. Significantly better, when considering efficiency. And to add one more stat, fouls per 40 minutes: Davis 6.9, Bryant 4.9.

Part of Bryant's regression last year was getting consistently double teamed when he did get post touches. De'Ron hasn't had to deal with that yet - hopefully he'll be a better passer out of the post than Thomas was - but that remains to be seen.

De'Ron did just fine for a freshman, particularly one who missed most of the summer. I'm not knocking him at all. I think he's going to be good. But like some others stated earlier in the thread, I think people are discounting how good Thomas Bryant was from day one. 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Fair enough.  However, I have got to ask who Thomas had ahead of him, his freshman year.  The answer is.... nobody. Thomas was the only true center on the team his freshman year.  And we all know who De'Ron had ahead of him, his freshman year. And that was Thomas.

So.... based on that.... I envision a big year for De'Ron.  This year, he is THE man in the middle, just as was Thomas, last year.

Davis has a high ceiling, I totally agree. It's reasonable to project big things for him. And I know you love your Colorado guys.

I guess I'd sum it up like this. De'Ron has the POTENTIAL to be a key player for a good team. Thomas already did it.

8 minutes ago, Shooter said:

Bryant's numbers still look better. Significantly better, when considering efficiency. And to add one more stat, fouls per 40 minutes: Davis 6.9, Bryant 4.9.

Part of Bryant's regression last year was getting consistently double teamed when he did get post touches. De'Ron hasn't had to deal with that yet - hopefully he'll be a better passer out of the post than Thomas was - but that remains to be seen.

De'Ron did just fine for a freshman, particularly one who missed most of the summer. I'm not knocking him at all. I think he's going to be good. But like some others stated earlier in the thread, I think people are discounting how good Thomas Bryant was from day one. 

Who's to argue with a member with a username of "Shooter" ?  Certainly, not me.  LOL.  I am pleased you pointed out that De'Ron got to campus late. Still nursing an injury. However, I would like to add that he played the first half of season with a carry over injury.  Crean alluded to  it, at times.  But did not make a major issue of it either. So some may have either forgotten, or were not aware.  And then .... there was the game, he had to leave due to injury. 

3 hours ago, Shooter said:

Bryant undoubtedly had a better freshman season than De'Ron did. Wouldn't say his numbers were significantly better on a per 40 minute basis.

Most of Bryant's production his freshman year came on the fast break and from easy buckets that Yogi got him.  When he had to be the man his sophomore year, he was exposed due to his total lack of physicality and any semblance of post moves.  Davis has already shown that he's a better player in the post than Bryant ever was, and he's bigger and stronger than Bryant was.  I'm pretty confident that Davis's sophomore season will be better than Bryant's.

Archived