Romeo's highest scoring game will be?

Whoever thinks IU isn’t a top 5 team in the B1G next season, as long as Morgan returns, is... well, clearly not paying close enough attention. I’m not saying that there won’t be bumps in the road, but we can and should most certainly finish top 5 in the conference. 

I’m ready for Archie and his program to start a new era of Indiana basketball dominance. As long as he continues to land the top studs in Indiana, our program will be in great shape. 

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I could not find individual game stats but Bracey Wright averaged 16.3 pts a game his freshman year.

Yes, he was one of the ones outside of that top ten that I looked up as well, but didn't post. He had 30GP-363FGA-141FTA-486PTS

14 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

...on 40 shots?

12.1 shots. I always found it odd how vilified Wright was when Gordon (13.3 shots) was beloved. I think a lot of it had to do with Mike Davis talking up Wright so much and Gordon being a homegrown kid who flipped from dUI. Oddly enough, they both shot .433 their freshman year. 

5 minutes ago, cybergates said:

12.1 shots. I always found it odd how vilified Wright was when Gordon (13.3 shots) was beloved. I think a lot of it had to do with Mike Davis talking up Wright so much and Gordon being a homegrown kid who flipped from dUI. Oddly enough, they both shot .433 their freshman year. 

Two things...

First, Gordon had a hand injury that hampered his shooting in the back half of the season. Gordon was much more efficient prior to the injury.

Second, that was Bracey's most efficient season. The two seasons after that, he scored a little more but with less accuracy. I think fans would have given him a pass if he has improved off a respectable freshman season. Not great but respectable at least. Bracey took a lot of ill-advised shots. That's what hurt his efficiency. It was frustrating that he did that even with more experience. 

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

Two things...

First, Gordon had a hand injury that hampered his shooting in the back half of the season. Gordon was much more efficient prior to the injury.

Second, that was Bracey's most efficient season. The two seasons after that, he scored a little more but with less accuracy. I think fans would have given him a pass if he has improved off a respectable freshman season. Not great but respectable at least. Bracey took a lot of ill-advised shots. That's what hurt his efficiency. It was frustrating that he did that even with more experience. 

Yes, I know I almost posted that in the previous post but deleted it. Even with the hand/wrist injury he continued shooting tons of shots at a now lower clip which is what most people get on Wright for. After the coaching change when I feel a lot of the players checked out (not Gordon) it was even worse because he seemed to be one of the few that still cared but his shot wasn't falling. Against Arkansas in the NCAAT he shot 3 of 15 (3 of 9 from 3) for 8 points. I know there are vastly different circumstances to both players (where they're from, their coach, injury, etc.) but if Wright had that stat line in NCAAT he would have been crucified, whereas Gordon remains a beloved Hoosier for life. I like Gordon more because he is a Hoosier Hoosier, but my original point was for having similar freshman seasons (I agree Gordon's was better) I'm not a Wright fan or hater, I just didn't get the Wright hate (I remember plenty of people hating him during his freshman season thinking he shot too much but Gordon ended up taking more shots without any hate).

I agree with your point (and stats back up) that Wright's freshman year was his most efficient and that people may have turned from haters into fans if he improved, but I just didn't understand the hate to begin with.

I really think that a lot of it was Wright personified Davis on the court. He was from out of state and didn't play ball the way we liked our players to play (we weren't as far removed from Knight's era as we were when Gordon arrived). Over time the fan base shifted (Sampson was to be the savior from Davis and Gordon the savior from players like Wright), and a similar but better player came along from Indiana and took more shots and was loved not hated.

I feel weird posting this because it seems like I'm against Gordon and for Wright, but believe me that's not actually the case. I really just want to convey that I didn't get the Wright hate from the start.

10 hours ago, Danomatic said:

I’m ready for Archie and his program to start a new era of Indiana basketball dominance. As long as he continues to land the top studs in Indiana, our program will be in great shape. 

Coming Soon: November, 2018

Ugh... 6 months away

12 hours ago, cybergates said:

Hey there! It annoys me too how vilified Bracey is. Glad to see someone else in here sticking up for him. 

I think there’s a generational gap with Bracey. I could see how people in their 40s dislike him but to people 25-35 he was one of the few players who seemed to have legit skills that impressed and we didn’t really ever see that.... I actually enjoyed him.

Archived