Expectations for Next Year

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

I’ve seen this touched on in a couple of different threads, but I was wondering what everyone’s expectations are for next years team.  I think we make the tournament and play on the 2nd weekend.  What say you?

We're gonna be better than Nebraska and Penn State. That still pisses me off. Penn State is really going to miss Tony Carr and Shep Garner.

We're gonna be better than Wisconsin too.  The Michigans will be tough and Maryland too if Turgeon pulls off at least a mediocre coaching job.  Anyone else in the big ten is very beatable. 

10 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

I’ve seen this touched on in a couple of different threads, but I was wondering what everyone’s expectations are for next years team.  I think we make the tournament and play on the 2nd weekend.  What say you?

The whole enchilada.

That's what's I expect every year. Why not?

The whole enchilada.

Expect to be in the tournament.

Baseline to me would probably be borderline top 25 (so, let's say, 6 or 7 seed). Definitely opportunity to be better than that, but still too many unknowns for me to expect more.

Oh, and: with that, expect to be capable of winning a couple games in the tournament if things go right.

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Anything less than top 3 in conference and top 5 seed in ncaa will be disappointing.

This.  And honestly, I’ll be a little disappointed if we don’t win the Big Ten.  Would also like to see us in the BTT semis at least.

39 minutes ago, jimsorgi said:

Baseline to me would probably be borderline top 25 (so, let's say, 6 or 7 seed). Definitely opportunity to be better than that, but still too many unknowns for me to expect more.

Oh, and: with that, expect to be capable of winning a couple games in the tournament if things go right.

I'd be bummed if this is where we land. A combo of Romeo + Juwan with solid talent surrounding the team may not be available every year (well see if Archie makes a habit of reigning in Romeo level talent). It is very plausible that we have the preseason BIG Ten Freshman of the year and preseason BIG player of the year on the same squad. Juwan's leadership and passion will be huge in getting these young guys up to speed. 

We're not nationally known...yet. But I'd put some money down people will remember us by seasons end as a team to avoid in the tourney. 

I'll caveat this with Green will be a huge X factor in our success next year, much like this past season. We went as he did...or didn't 

4th place finish and 21 wins is the floor.  Thats only 2 spots better in conference and 5 more wins.  Not a huge step up.  The ceiling?  I do not see one.  Expectations....  Have to see how everyone progresses and how injuries effect the conference.  The only expectation I have is that every game is winnable.  We will have surprises and disappointments along the way.  An elite eight run is not out of the question.

56 minutes ago, Mac said:

The whole enchilada.

That's what's I expect every year. Why not?

The whole enchilada.

“Why not?”

Because you’re setting yourself up for disappointment?

Manage expectations, my friend. It’s advice for the many, as well.

48 minutes ago, jimsorgi said:

This.

This is a reasonable expectation. I’d be surprised if we underachieved based on this projection. Yet, I would be pleasantly surprised if we exceed...and wouldn’t be shocked.

Hard to predict a record right now because players still has to decide if they are coming back or staying in the draft.  Also with the semester just ending there could be some more guys transferring.  I think next years team should be a top 4 or higher and make at least the sweet 16.

Assuming Morgan comes back...

IU can definitely win the Big Ten and/or BTT. Top 3 in conference is the floor for me. I think we have the best team in the conference. MSU loses their top 2 players, Purdue most a ton, Michigan lost their top player, OSU takes a step backwards, Maryland coaching is a joke and they are now caught up with the FBI stuff. 

Win the Big Ten and we will get a solid seed (3 or better). That should be good enough for a second weekend showing. From there are bets are off. 

^^ I think I'm closest to Scott at this point. Maybe I'm 'managing expectations,' but I don't see a floor of top 3 in conference without having a better feel for where the other teams are, and how we look at the point. The point/primary handler is our position that remains an unknown. I think top 4, 20-wins plus, and a tourney run would be a good step forward. Hope to see better, can definitely see how we can get there with Morgan, Langford, jumps from Smith, Green, our new 40-plus 3-point shooting experienced transfer, frosh to soph jump for Al, etc., but the question at the point and lack of a good feel for how the rest of the conference looks has me holding back for now.

This time last year no one saw OSU looking that good, etc. So I'll take the patient road and wait and see, but optimistically.

6 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

^^ I think I'm closest to Scott at this point. Maybe I'm 'managing expectations,' but I don't see a floor of top 3 in conference without having a better feel for where the other teams are, and how we look at the point. The point/primary handler is our position that remains an unknown. I think top 4, 20-wins plus, and a tourney run would be a good step forward. Hope to see better, can definitely see how we can get there with Morgan, Langford, jumps from Smith, Green, our new 40-plus 3-point shooting experienced transfer, frosh to soph jump for Al, etc., but the question at the point and lack of a good feel for how the rest of the conference looks has me holding back for now.

This time last year no one saw OSU looking that good, etc. So I'll take the patient road and wait and see, but optimistically.

Yea, fair point on the PG position, could be a big swing either way depending on the production we get from DG or RP

43 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Assuming Morgan comes back...

IU can definitely win the Big Ten and/or BTT. Top 3 in conference is the floor for me. I think we have the best team in the conference. MSU loses their top 2 players, Purdue most a ton, Michigan lost their top player, OSU takes a step backwards, Maryland coaching is a joke and they are now caught up with the FBI stuff. 

Win the Big Ten and we will get a solid seed (3 or better). That should be good enough for a second weekend showing. From there are bets are off. 

I would not discount MSU. They definitely lost their two most talented players, not sure their two most important players though. They still return 3/4’s of that stellar 2016 class, which includes two backcourt players in Winston and Langford that have been starting for two years. They’ll be in the thick of the Big Ten race. 

Archived