Expectations for Next Year

With so much uncertainty at Point Guard...I think some of the win the Big 10, Sweet 16 minimum type picks are setting themselves (or someone else) up for disappointment. Until we know that part I'd temper expectations a bit. Yes..Romeo is huge. If Morgan comes back it's big. That's 2 pieces. Still plenty of unknowns though. I like our parts don't get me wrong but the most important piece (point guard) is our biggest question mark. 

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

With so much uncertainty at Point Guard...I think some of the win the Big 10, Sweet 16 minimum type picks are setting themselves (or someone else) up for disappointment. Until we know that part I'd temper expectations a bit. Yes..Romeo is huge. If Morgan comes back it's big. That's 2 pieces. Still plenty of unknowns though. I like our parts don't get me wrong but the most important piece (point guard) is our biggest question mark. 

This is exactly how I feel. If Green plays up to his potential consistently, then we've got something. If he is inconsistent and RP is not ready for major minutes as a freshman, then we have a problem.  I guess I should throw Al in the mix too. Whoever it is, we need consistent pg play. 

To be completely transparent, while my expectations may be a touch on the aggressive end compared to some other (lean closer to a Top 3 finish in BIG / Top 4 in seed in dance / and second weekend of tourney)...my ultimate goal is what Glass what quoted on a couple years back. Annually compete for BIG title and make consistent deep runs in the tourney. Realistically, we all know the tourney is a crap shoot, but if I'm Archie and I'm looking to "get ahead" of expectations...I'm looking at this roster opportunistically and thinking this could be a year in which I make a deep tourney run. Not saying it's a requirement every year for me just because it's so unpredictable, but this is as good a year as any to make a splash. It's not every year you have a Romeo on your squad, gotta use them wisely IMO.

Will I be calling for Archie's head next year if we stub our toe in the tourney? Absolutely not, but this could also be a time for him to "get ahead" of my expectations for him long-term if he makes a deep tourney run. Ultimately don't care when these runs do happen, but I expect them to happen every few years. 

13 hours ago, zerawkid said:

“Why not?”

Because you’re setting yourself up for disappointment?

Manage expectations, my friend. It’s advice for the many, as well.

It's also struck me as a bit of a sad way to go through life to temper optimism when it is justified just because you are afraid of being disappointed. How good are the good seasons to you if that bad ones aren't disappointing? 

Live life to the fullest, my friend. It's advice for the many, as well. 

As for expectations, assuming someone steps up at PG the sky is the limit. If we get inconsistent PG play we should still comfortably be a tournament team.

Good PG play = competing with MSU for the conference crown and competing with everyone nationally in the tournament. 

Updated with Duke, Marquette, and Jacksonsville added 

We have 25 games set in stone as of now, I'll keep a running record of these and update my expectations and predictions accordingly:

Home games only:

Nebraska, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Louisville, Jacksonville, Marquette- I expect 6 wins. 6-0

Away games only:

Maryland, Minnesota, Penn State, Duke- I'll say win @UM, PSU, @Mary lose @Duke 3-1

Neutral site:

Butler- I expect to win, this will be a good game though (especially if Tucker can play). 1-0

Home/Home:

Illinois, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Northwestern, Purdue, Rutgers

2 Wins- ILL, NW, Rutgers 

1 win- Home Purdue, MSU, Iowa, UM 10-4

Brings my total to 20-5. Games @Iowa, @Mary, both Purdue, MSU, UM, and Butler are the "swing games" the 50-50 games. I realize Iowa isn't as good as us but they're still at home and are pretty good at home. 

We played 30 regular season games last year... so we are going to add 5 more games. I would say 3 of those will be cupcakes, 1 solid team (maybe Mississippi State or Arkansas level of team) and one more top notch game. UNC, UK, AZ, UCLA type team. 

Our non-conf breakdown would be: 

4 cupcakes- 4 games 

Marquette and another team at this level.- 2 games

UL and Butler- 2 games 

Duke and another team at this level- 2 games 

i think with the way the landscape is in college bball these days, a top 5 recruit in the nation usually comes in and makes a huge impact.  add Morgan coming back as one of the what.. top 3 players in the conference?  with the other pieces we have coming back and coming in along with all the players other teams in the conference and nation lost, and i don't see any reason we can't expect a lot.  definitely the PG question is big, but i don't like the argument that we are young.  that is college basketball these days.

To the guys worried about PG I say to that we had Josh Newkirk and still could have threatened 20 wins if a couple close ones fell our way. I get the tempered expectations and the PG position will determine if we’re able to be a team that can threaten the final four or not but sweet 16 and 1-3rd in then B1G isn’t unrealistic I don’t think.

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

It's also struck me as a bit of a sad way to go through life to temper optimism when it is justified just because you are afraid of being disappointed. How good are the good seasons to you if that bad ones aren't disappointing? 

Live life to the fullest, my friend. It's advice for the many, as well. 

Meh, po-TAY-to, po-TAH-to. There’s a fine line between unbridled optimism and realism based on pragmatism and experience. I have lived through the bad seasons, just as you, and have been thoroughly disappointed. So, too, did I live in exaltation, with my Grandpa by my side, himself an IU grad and lifelong fan, thoroughly surprised and thrilled at our championship game run in 2002.

I beg of you, KoB, I have never purported to lecture to or presume what’s in someone’s heart and how they should or shouldn’t live on a personal level, please do not take that tact and approach with me. Things don’t need to get that personal here.

I do live my life to the fullest and enjoy it a great deal. Because I choose to temper expectations of a team I enjoy following has no necessary implications on the way I approach things generally in my life.

17 minutes ago, zerawkid said:

Meh, po-TAY-to, po-TAH-to. There’s a fine line between unbridled optimism and realism based on pragmatism and experience. I have lived through the bad seasons, just as you, and have been thoroughly disappointed. So, too, did I live in exaltation, with my Grandpa by my side, himself an IU grad and lifelong fan, thoroughly surprised and thrilled at our championship game run in 2002.

I beg of you, KoB, I have never purported to lecture to or presume what’s in someone’s heart and how they should or shouldn’t live on a personal level, please do not take that tact and approach with me. Things don’t need to get that personal here.

I do live my life to the fullest and enjoy it a great deal. Because I choose to temper expectations of a team I enjoy following has no necessary implications on the way I approach things generally in my life.

There's also a fine line between realism and pessimism. I know many people that are pessimist masquerading as a realist, all because they are afraid of the hurt of things not working out. Maybe that's you, maybe it's not; I can't answer that question. 

What I do know is you took the time to have a problem with someone being optimistic then got upset when someone did the same back to you; with a very similar tone to what you used. 

I've got no issue you with you at all Zeraw, for the record. Just thought turnabout would be fair play but perhaps that was too optimistic of me ;) 

Alright so we’re all fans here, just because some don’t have unbridled questionless optimism for next season given that the point guard role - a key role for sure - is uncertain, and we really don’t have a good feel yet for some of the other teams, does not make them pessimists masquerading as realists! 

Sounds line we’re all optimistic, just some are not sure yet how optimistic 

23 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

There's also a fine line between realism and pessimism. I know many people that are pessimist masquerading as a realist, all because they are afraid of the hurt of things not working out. Maybe that's you, maybe it's not; I can't answer that question. 

What I do know is you took the time to have a problem with someone being optimistic then got upset when someone did the same back to you; with a very similar tone to what you used. 

I've got no issue you with you at all Zeraw, for the record. Just thought turnabout would be fair play but perhaps that was too optimistic of me ;) 

See, and I can appreciate a lot of what you’re saying here.

Except, I didn’t have a “problem” with the poster in question. I suggested tempering expectations. I think that’s a far cry from having a problem with him.

I am all about turnabout being fair and I can take as well as I give out. But, I want to be clear: that’s a misrepresentation of how you just handled things with me. You struck a very directly personal tone with me, my comments to the other poster were far more general.

However, I do think you’re a decent guy and appreciate you (sort of) walking back your indictment of me and my character from your previous post.

If Green and Smith developed as anticipated, Morgan returns and Davis returns healthy, I expect us to contend for the B1G. Also, I think that the experience and the talent is there to make a deep run in the NCAA tournament.

Yes, there are several variables, but I really like the makeup of this roster. 

When you bring in a talent like Romeo Langford, the expectations rise from being competitive in the upper echelon of the conference to contending for both the B1G and nationally. 

I legitimately expect an appearance in the Elite Eight.

Before you all tell me how I need to temper my expectations, let me tell you that I’m well aware that I’m setting the bar high. But that’s just how I roll... while it isn’t probable, I do believe it’s attainable! We just need some balls to bounce in the right direction, but the same can be said about any other program contending. They need to stay healthy and we need to develop. 

I think that it’s safe to say that Kansas, Nova and Duke are early favorites. But like I said previously, they need a little luck to win it all... we all do. 

I think we can be really, really good. I’m not a sunshine pumper either, so... 🤷🏻‍♂

1 hour ago, zerawkid said:

See, and I can appreciate a lot of what you’re saying here.

Except, I didn’t have a “problem” with the poster in question. I suggested tempering expectations. I think that’s a far cry from having a problem with him.

I am all about turnabout being fair and I can take as well as I give out. But, I want to be clear: that’s a misrepresentation of how you just handled things with me. You struck a very directly personal tone with me, my comments to the other poster were far more general.

However, I do think you’re a decent guy and appreciate you (sort of) walking back your indictment of me and my character from your previous post.

we'll have to agree to disagree about the tones not being similar, but I was simply trying to make a point with my OP not make it personal. 

Archived