Expectations for Next Year

"T-Rank" which uses a system similar to KenPom has IU #19.   MSU #6, Wisky #18, Md. #20, and UM #21.  "T-Rank" uses adjusted (for tempo) offensive and defensive ratings with IU at #14 offensively and #59 defensively in the nation.  Interestingly for last season we wound up #58 defensively. 

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, slojoe said:

"T-Rank" which uses a system similar to KenPom has IU #19.   MSU #6, Wisky #18, Md. #20, and UM #21.  "T-Rank" uses adjusted (for tempo) offensive and defensive ratings with IU at #14 offensively and #59 defensively in the nation.  Interestingly for last season we wound up #58 defensively. 

Here's the Link:

http://www.barttorvik.com/

Another one to follow for changes during the season. Some interesting rankings on there.

Also, clicking on the team names takes you to a breakdown of player and team stats -- good for the season: http://www.barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Indiana&year=2019

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i expect much more than that.  i truly think top 10-15.

I don't think we would be ranked that high pre-season. I think 27 is fair considering the health of Deron is unknown and the uncertainty of the impact of the new class.

Something that these writers don't realize is how much easier it will be for Archie to coach this year. He doesn't have to teach every player how to run his offense/defense and now has players that fit exactly what he wants out of his team.

I think realistically we get into the top 20 at points this season and end up going into march somewhere between 20th-30th. 

1 hour ago, Hoosierdave said:

I had a tough time getting that poll to come up. Had to go straight to the site to get it.  That being said, the Big 10 looks to be pretty competitive if you believe those rankings.  I also found this comment to be hilariously spot on:

UCLA will underperform and won’t make the top 25 despite elite talent because Steve Alford can’t coach or develop his players.

This will be Alford’s last year and everyone, including Steve Alford, will breathe a long sigh of relief.

31 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Here's the Link:

http://www.barttorvik.com/

Another one to follow for changes during the season. Some interesting rankings on there.

Also, clicking on the team names takes you to a breakdown of player and team stats -- good for the season: http://www.barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Indiana&year=2019

Thanks for including the link. 

Another interesting thing is that we were around #31 behind Iowa, but when Romeo signed we jumped up to the top 20.  We also jumped a little when Fitzner joined us.

43 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

I don't think we would be ranked that high pre-season. I think 27 is fair considering the health of Deron is unknown and the uncertainty of the impact of the new class.

Something that these writers don't realize is how much easier it will be for Archie to coach this year. He doesn't have to teach every player how to run his offense/defense and now has players that fit exactly what he wants out of his team.

I think realistically we get into the top 20 at points this season and end up going into march somewhere between 20th-30th. 

Agree to a point. Two guys that are going to be counted on, one an incoming freshman, and the other a 5th year senior, have never played pack line defense. I don't purport to fully understand how that defense works, but I know enough to know that if one kid isn't in correct position, and others have to cover for him, it screws things up a bit. For this reason, I can see us struggling a bit defensively at the beginning of the season.

5 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Agree to a point. Two guys that are going to be counted on, one an incoming freshman, and the other a 5th year senior, have never played pack line defense. I don't purport to fully understand how that defense works, but I know enough to know that if one kid isn't in correct position, and others have to cover for him, it screws things up a bit. For this reason, I can see us struggling a bit defensively at the beginning of the season.

I think you're over selling the complexity of the pack line. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I think you're over selling the complexity of the pack line. 

Maybe. Like I said, I don't fully understand all the intricacies of the pack line. I do know that it took the team a couple of months last year to figure it out 

55 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Not totally unreasonable, but I don’t see how you can put Maryland #18 and IU #27.  Maryland was trash last year, and don’t have more coming in or coming back than we do.

Bro... do you even Turgeon?

15 hours ago, Hoosierdave said:

i would agree we shouldn't be top 10-15 in preseason, but i do think top 25 and i do think we can be a top 10-15 team when it's all said and done.  

My only expectation at this time is to be better than we were last year.  I wish/want IU to go the the FF and win a championship next year but, i dont think I should EXPECT it this early in Archie's tenure.

Better than last year entails:

+Finish in the top 4 of the big ten

+ Winning a game in the big ten tourney, but, winning 2 games should be the norm

+ Make the NCAA tourney

I am going to temper my expectations to these for the time being. If we accomplish those goals ive listed above this year, I will absolutely fall into the " we should be in the FF and win a championship" crowd.

5 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Ehhh, that’s about exactly where I’d put us without Romeo at this point.

Not me...I've been pumping sunshine since Archie hit the campus.:nansplit:  IU has a monster class coming in and it was a very good class before Romeo.  I'll give you the unknowns, but there are players no one is even talking about that are going to be huge for IU this year. My vote is on Race Thompson.

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

...which was ridiculous even without Romeo.

And is even more ridiculous given that it's May. I start paying attention to the "experts " around mid-February 

7 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

And is even more ridiculous given that it's May. I start paying attention to the "experts " around mid-February 

Wait, there are "experts" out there?  I thought they were all here?

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Not me...I've been pumping sunshine since Archie hit the campus.:nansplit:  IU has a monster class coming in and it was a very good class before Romeo.  I'll give you the unknowns, but there are players no one is even talking about that are going to be huge for IU this year. My vote is on Race Thompson.

Wouldn’t call it a monster class outside of Romeo by any means, more of a good class to build on.  Not many freshmen come into the Big Ten and play big roles right off the bat unless they’re the surefire one-or-two-and-done type, and I don’t think anyone in the class fits that bill outside of Romeo and potentially Hunter, I guess.  We also saw last year that Archie isn’t big on playing freshmen.  Maybe that will change now that the guys in this class are really his guys (and we know Romeo is starting from Day 1 regardless), but I wouldn’t be surprised if it doesn’t.

I’m not expecting much more than a Justin Smith-type impact out of any of the freshmen next year outside of Romeo and maybe Race, given his year in the program.  

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Wouldn’t call it a monster class outside of Romeo by any means, more of a good class to build on.  Not many freshmen come into the Big Ten and play big roles right off the bat unless they’re the surefire one-or-two-and-done type, and I don’t think anyone in the class fits that bill outside of Romeo and potentially Hunter, I guess.  We also saw last year that Archie isn’t big on playing freshmen.  Maybe that will change now that the guys in this class are really his guys (and we know Romeo is starting from Day 1 regardless), but I wouldn’t be surprised if it doesn’t.

I’m not expecting much more than a Justin Smith-type impact out of any of the freshmen next year outside of Romeo and maybe Race, given his year in the program.  

Agree with all that. I will say outside of Romeo, if one of those FR have a Smith like FR year... it'll be huge for our depth. 

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Agree with all that. I will say outside of Romeo, if one of those FR have a Smith like FR year... it'll be huge for our depth. 

I fully expect at least one or two of the non-Romeo freshmen to contribute as much as Smith did last year.  I’m as high on Smith as anyone, but it’s easy to forget that McSwain took his spot in the starting lineup for the last 8 games of the year.  He averaged 6.5 points and 3 rebounds in 15 mpg last season (7.5 points and 3 rebounds in 17 mpg in conference play).  Hardly played at all until DeRon went down right as the conference season started, then became a solid contributor for the rest of the season — but not a guy that was some dominant, game-changing player.

I think Hunter/Phinisee/Thompson can definitely have a season like that, if not a little better.

Archived