Expectations for Next Year

1 minute ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I fully expect at least one or two of the non-Romeo freshmen to contribute as much as Smith did last year.  I’m as high on Smith as anyone, but it’s easy to forget that McSwain took his spot in the starting lineup for the last 8 games of the year.  He averaged 6.5 points and 3 rebounds in 15 mpg last season (7.5 points and 3 rebounds in 17 mpg in conference play).  Hardly played at all until DeRon went down right as the conference season started, then became a solid contributor for the rest of the season — but not a guy that was some dominant, game-changing player.

I think Hunter/Phinisee/Thompson can definitely have a season like that, if not a little better.

Right agree. And with our other pieces.. we'll have a plethora of weapons

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Not me...I've been pumping sunshine since Archie hit the campus.:nansplit:  IU has a monster class coming in and it was a very good class before Romeo.  I'll give you the unknowns, but there are players no one is even talking about that are going to be huge for IU this year. My vote is on Race Thompson.

Race is my under estimated player also...I think he can put in significant minutes.  It may be a year too early but Phinisee is going to be a scorer.  He has something to prove.

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Right agree. And with our other pieces.. we'll have a plethora of weapons

Definitely, that’s why getting Romeo and Fitzner was so huge, and dramatically changed our prospects for next season.  With two beasts like Juwan and Romeo on the floor next season, along with veteran guys like McBob and Fitzner and talented guys like Smith and (hopefully) Green, the freshmen can grow into their roles.  Thinking about what Juwan and OG provided in the tournament their freshmen year, a few of the freshmen this year could be even better than that by the end of the year.

12 hours ago, 5fouls said:

While only giving up 42, I suppose.  

Now I want to know what the highest point differential for a season in college basketball history is.

Edit - Undefeated team in 75-76 scored 82.1 ppg and gave up 64.8.  I would take that.

• 3 weeks later...

My expectation is top 3 in BIG and Elite 8 for now. This can be CAM's first big opportunity and also challenge. One thing I'm not comfortable about is our PG situation. We don't have a good PG in returning players, and our true PG is a true freshman. Obviously, Juwan and Romeo will have to live up to the hype, but to me, Devante Green is the biggest wild card. 

1 hour ago, addictedtoIU said:

My expectation is top 3 in BIG and Elite 8 for now. This can be CAM's first big opportunity and also challenge. One thing I'm not comfortable about is our PG situation. We don't have a good PG in returning players, and our true PG is a true freshman. Obviously, Juwan and Romeo will have to live up to the hype, but to me, Devante Green is the biggest wild card. 

Invariably, there is always someone quite unexpected, who makes an impact on the team.  Especially, as the season progresses.  To an extent, Victor was one of those players, who some questioned before his freshman season.  And it was a pleasant surprise to see the support McRoberts, who started 17 games for IU last season, gave the team ..  I hazard to guess no one saw Zach starting that many games, much less any games for IU, before the season began.

Who will it be this season ?  I don't know.  And that is the fun of it all. 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Not doing any research but here is how I look at the conference

1) MSU

2) UM

3) IU

4) Nebraska

5) UW

6) Iowa

7) PU

8)Minnesota

9) Maryland

10) OSU

11) PSU

12) NW

13) Illinois

14) Rutgers

This is pretty much how I see it. The top 3 will be a dogfight then a dropoff to the next tier. I'd say NE and WI have more downside than upside at 4-5.  Like seeing IL at 13- behind NW. 

I'm late to the party, but I said after the season that my expectations were

No Romeo or Morgan = 9-12 seed in tourney

Romeo OR Morgan = 5-8 seed

Romeo AND Morgan = top 4 seed

As KOB said (even though I don't like that guy :coffee:) we might have the best 2 players in the conference.  No reason (outside of injuries to Romeo or Morgan) that we shouldn't be top 3 in the conference.

Not too worried about the PG spot.  Romeo will have the ball in his hands an awful lot and I would guess he will be the one who initiates the offense a lot.

20 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

As KOB said (even though I don't like that guy :coffee:) we might have the best 2 players in the conference.  No reason (outside of injuries to Romeo or Morgan) that we shouldn't be top 3 in the conference.

My wife doesn't like him either. 

50 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Invariably, there is always someone quite unexpected, who makes an impact on the team.  Especially, as the season progresses.  To an extent, Victor was one of those players, who some questioned before his freshman season.  And it was a pleasant surprise to see the support McRoberts, who started 17 games for IU last season, gave the team ..  I hazard to guess no one saw Zach starting that many games, much less any games for IU, before the season began.

Who will it be this season ?  I don't know.  And that is the fun of it all. 

Indeed. There will be some guys who will surprise us. Smith and Durham could make a big jump (and they played decent minutes last season as freshmen), and we know what McRoberts brings to the table, and if he starts knocking down open 3s, he can be a starter over any other guy we have since he's such a force defensively. Undoubtedly, I think the biggest difference would be to have Romeo, and he will open the door for other guys for easier opportunities. 

And if Moore and Thompson turn out to be serviceable players, watch out! 

Archived