Archie getting it done where someone else wasn't...

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/columnists/jim-peters/jim-peters-iu-s-miller-making-immediate-recruiting-inroads/article_9a65a61f-fcdb-5a6c-a274-275467fadf65.html

"Landing Romeo's obviously a huge get for IU and coach Miller," Valparaiso coach Barak Coolman said. "Indiana produces a lot of good basketball players and they've had issues recruiting the state. As a high school coach and as a basketball fan, I like to see talent stay in state. It's a vote of confidence for Archie. It could help change the tide."

"I think it's a combination of everything," Coolman said. "Archie's the exact opposite of who he replaced, personality-wise, a mile deep instead of a mile wide. He's stoic, very business-like. He's not glad handing. He doesn't sweet talk you. There's not a lot of fluff. It's substance. He follows the same proven model as (Purdue) coach (Matt) Painter and that turned the program around for him. That has to be real refreshing to a lot of IU fans as well as high school coaches."

No a ringing endorsement of Tom Crean but I think it was an opinion shared by many of the coaches in the state.  I firmly believe that we finally have landed on the right fit for this program.  Archie exceeded my recruiting expectations in his first year, if this keeps up we are a perennial contender in the Big Ten.  Additionally, I know there was a comparison to Painter in the article, unlike Painter though, Archie actually gets the big names to sign the LOI's.

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

"He's very detailed," Coolman said. "There are used car salesmen and quality coaches. Some are good at selling, some are good at teaching. The great ones are a good balance of both."

Yeah, just a brutal article for the prior staff.

2 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/columnists/jim-peters/jim-peters-iu-s-miller-making-immediate-recruiting-inroads/article_9a65a61f-fcdb-5a6c-a274-275467fadf65.html

"Landing Romeo's obviously a huge get for IU and coach Miller," Valparaiso coach Barak Coolman said. "Indiana produces a lot of good basketball players and they've had issues recruiting the state. As a high school coach and as a basketball fan, I like to see talent stay in state. It's a vote of confidence for Archie. It could help change the tide."

"I think it's a combination of everything," Coolman said. "Archie's the exact opposite of who he replaced, personality-wise, a mile deep instead of a mile wide. He's stoic, very business-like. He's not glad handing. He doesn't sweet talk you. There's not a lot of fluff. It's substance. He follows the same proven model as (Purdue) coach (Matt) Painter and that turned the program around for him. That has to be real refreshing to a lot of IU fans as well as high school coaches."

No a ringing endorsement of Tom Crean but I think it was an opinion shared by many of the coaches in the state.  I firmly believe that we finally have landed on the right fit for this program.  Archie exceeded my recruiting expectations in his first year, if this keeps up we are a perennial contender in the Big Ten.  Additionally, I know there was a comparison to Painter in the article, unlike Painter though, Archie actually gets the big names to sign the LOI's.

I like everything that's said here, except the Painter reference (ugh).

The mile deep instead of a mile wide comment is an interesting one, goes to credibility and substance.

I said this when Archie got hired, we have a "basketball guy" as coach now. He's not trying to prove he belongs, he knows he belongs because he's spent his entire life in the gym. He relates to everyone involved in the process. Growing up in the gym, having a Dad as a coach, playing at a high level in the ACC, having a brother that played and coaches, etc., etc., allows Archie to comfortably sit with players, high school coaches, AAU coaches,  and parents and know that he's been in all of their shoes in some form or fashion. He's not trying to prove anything to all the players involved, he's just relating to them. 

He's just a flat gym rat that can play, talk and coach the game. 

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I said this when Archie got hired, we have a "basketball guy" as coach now. He's not trying to prove he belongs, he knows he belongs because he's spent his entire life in the gym. He related to everyone involved in the process. Growing up in the gym, having a Dad as a coach, playing at a high level in the ACC, having a brother that played and coaches, etc., etc., allows Archie to comfortably sit with players, high school coaches, AAU coaches,  and parents and know that he's been in all of their shoes in form or fashion. He's not trying to prove anything to all the players involved, he's just relating to them. 

He's just a flat gym rat that can play, talk and coach the game. 

And he's tough in everything everything he does. 

Thanks for this article.  I actually didn't know Barak was now coaching Valpo.  He and I went to the same high school in the Fort Wayne area (Leo High School) and I remember watching him play on some really good teams when I was a kid.

Archived