McRoberts/Scholarship

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am sure that it would be such an honer for Zach to have received that scholarship and I don't care how much money you have getting free tuition is great. With that being said to me he seems like the type of guy that says if that makes our team better I will do whatever is best for the team.  I might be wrong on all accounts 

I hope at some point, we know the entire story.  With what I do know, what a great young man.  IU is lucky to have him and I suspect senior night is going to be pretty emotional for all three of our incoming seniors.

I hope no one leaves, but if someone does, it's a no-brainer that McBob gets the scholarship.

43 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I hope at some point, we know the entire story.  With what I do know, what a great young man.  IU is lucky to have him and I suspect senior night is going to be pretty emotional for all three of our incoming seniors.

I hope no one leaves, but if someone does, it's a no-brainer that McBob gets the scholarship.

It is a bit of a tricky question to ask, but I plan to ask it at the next media availability.

Should be a must read for every kid who feels entitled and that he is doing a coach a favor by considering his program.

I wish there were more Zachs in college hoops. It would make the game a much better place 

12 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Should have been given to him the minute Curtis Jones transferred.

As I understood it, they couldn't.  Scholarships being annual renewable or something like that.  I know we had the conversation anyway.

He was on scholarship at Vermont. Decided to not play basketball. We gave him the chance to play as walk on. End of story. I appreciate his play and his minutes...but the scholarship is a separate issue one that his family was fully aware of. No further explanation needed. 

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

He was on scholarship at Vermont. Decided to not play basketball. We gave him the chance to play as walk on. End of story. I appreciate his play and his minutes...but the scholarship is a separate issue one that his family was fully aware of. No further explanation needed. 

If Zach is good with this it's fine, otherwise it's a ridiculous argument. It's like saying you shouldn't ever ask for a raise or bonus,  no matter how much you've earned it, just because of what the initial agreement was.

Or to directly relate to college basketball, it's like saying a kid shouldn't ever lose his scholarship because of playing ability but we know that happens. Zach earned a scholarship, he should have had first right of refusal. (And maybe he did)  

There’s nothing stopping Archie from telling the kid “hey man, you earned it but with Davis’ injury situation and Moore’s lack of development we really need a proven post player who can stretch the defense. Take out a student loan and come talk to me in a year or two...I’ll take care if it.”

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

And your employer should underpay you if you you have family money...

The family money isn't the reason he isn't getting a scholarship, it's the reason he shouldn't care about the scholarship, and the reason we shouldn't be offended for him.

Most likely, Archie didn’t offer him the scholarship, and he didn’t want/expect it.  He came to IU with the expectation of not playing basketball at all, decided he missed it, and walked onto the team.  Anything he’s getting now is a bonus.  To act like Archie should have offered the extra scholarship to him first is silly.  Plenty of major college teams have walk-ons like McBob, and I’m sure he and the staff realized that.

2 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Most likely, Archie didn’t offer him the scholarship, and he didn’t want/expect it.  He came to IU with the expectation of not playing basketball at all, decided he missed it, and walked onto the team.  Anything he’s getting now is a bonus.  To act like Archie should have offered the extra scholarship to him first is silly.  Plenty of major college teams have walk-ons like McBob, and I’m sure he and the staff realized that.

If he is the hardest working kid on the team........you reward that.

Archived