McRoberts/Scholarship

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Ahhh.  What the hell do they know.

This is as close to definitive as I can find at the moment, but based on recollection of past discussions, I'm confident it is correct.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2018/02/22/iu-insider-mailbag-longing-romeo-running-finish/365493002/

"My understanding has always been that once a scholarship is awarded for an academic year, it can’t be transferred, even if the player it was awarded to leaves. So it will be available to fill either with a signing or a transfer in the spring, if IU so chooses."

Fouls, I swear you slept through that conversation as I'm confident it was discussed on this forum as well.:jumprope:

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

Here you go fouls...time to check into an Alzheimer's clinic.  You participated in this conversation.

To be fair, I participated in the thread BEFORE someone linked Osterman's statement.  There is no evidence that I read the thread after That information became known.  It's not like I'm on the board a lot.

That said, I still dispute it.  I realize that 'logical' and NCAA does not often go together.  But, I don't see how it makes sense that Curtis Jones could count against the scholarship limit for two different schools.

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

To be fair, I participated in the thread BEFORE someone linked Osterman's statement.  There is no evidence that I read the thread after That information became known.  It's not like I'm on the board a lot.

That said, I still dispute it.  I realize that 'logical' and NCAA does not often go together.  But, I don't see how it makes sense that Curtis Jones could count against the scholarship limit for two different schools.

I'm guessing it has something to do with disincentivising schools from booting kids halfway through the school year to pick up an attractive transfer prospect.  Doing that after the school year is only slightly better optically, but at least it's less disruptive for the student athlete.

...and not on the board a lot?  LOL...come on...

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Here's a comparable analogy in my area of expertise.  Let's say that you have a dedicated, dependable, intelligent woman to move in with you.  At first, it's a 'let's see how this works' type of thing.  Over time, however, you realize that she is even more than you ever dreamed.  She becomes a critical part of your life.  You depend on her for key successes in your life.  At some point, the opportunity for marriage presents itself.  She may not come out and directly ask, but you think she might be interested in the concept.  For your part, you love everything about her, everything she does for you.  But, you know that she's not going to leave you either way, so you decide to avoid commitment.  You're getting the same thing either way.  You have nothing specifically against marriage.  In fact, you've proposed marriage (offered scholarships) twelve other times.  But, knowing you can get what you want/need in this case without proposing marriage, you don't even ask her to see how she feels.  After all, when the relationship was originally formed, there was no promise of commitment.  

So, in other words, why buy the cow when the milk is free?

21 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

There is a difference with a school 'cleaning house' and a player deciding to transfer on their own.    IU did not create the scholly opening n the program.  Curtis Jones did.

No question he did. It's yet another example of everyone being punished for the misdeeds of a few. I'm guessing the NCAA simply doesn't want to police every mid-season transfer trying to determine whose idea it was. Kind of like eliminating plausible deniability for coaches.

This link does not explicitly state that the scholarship can be given in a situation like we had with McRoberts last year, but it does seem to imply that the school is no longer on the hook for the scholly if a player transfers.  

The school could also cancel the scholarship during the period of the award under the following circumstances:

• Student-athlete becomes ineligible
  • Student-athlete commits fraud
  • Misconduct
  • Quits the team for personal reasons

http://www.ncaa.org/about/frequently-asked-questions-about-ncaa

Hey, I just saw several Instagram pictures where McRoberts is in his cap and gown with Rojo, Priller, Newkirk and Freddie! I didn’t know Zach was graduating. Is that why he didn’t get the scholarship from CAM because he is done?! I know he didn’t use all his eligibility up when he transferred from Vermont to IU.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

This link does not explicitly state that the scholarship can be given in a situation like we had with McRoberts last year, but it does seem to imply that the school is no longer on the hook for the scholly if a player transfers.  

The school could also cancel the scholarship during the period of the award under the following circumstances:

• Student-athlete becomes ineligible
  • Student-athlete commits fraud
  • Misconduct
  • Quits the team for personal reasons

http://www.ncaa.org/about/frequently-asked-questions-about-ncaa

Canceling it doesn't mean it opens it back up to be awarded. It means the school has no obligation to the former recipient of said scholarship. 

26 minutes ago, hoosierfan615 said:

Hey, I just saw several Instagram pictures where McRoberts is in his cap and gown with Rojo, Priller, Newkirk and Freddie! I didn’t know Zach was graduating. Is that why he didn’t get the scholarship from CAM because he is done?! I know he didn’t use all his eligibility up when he transferred from Vermont to IU.

He isn't out of eligibility. He graduated and took a picture with his teammates; unless a statement comes out that he is done then there is no reason to assume he is. 

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Canceling it doesn't mean it opens it back up to be awarded. It means the school has no obligation to the former recipient of said scholarship. 

Correct.  It does not.  But, nothing in that information says it can't be used either.  

33 minutes ago, hoosierfan615 said:

A little off track, but isn't it great that IU is graduating 5 players, when other schools are proud of sending them off without a degree!

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Correct.  It does not.  But, nothing in that information says it can't be used either.  

I think youd need to look up how scholarships are awarded to get that information. I believe a scholarship can only be awarded once annually. 

31 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

He isn't out of eligibility. He graduated and took a picture with his teammates; unless a statement comes out that he is done then there is no reason to assume he is. 

Haha, I meant that he was done with the academic portion of IU. I believe that he still has a year of eligibility left that’s why he is still on our team. Next year he will do his senior speech...hopefully with a lot more games to be played in March!!

Just now, IU Scott said:

I 'll say that some of you are probably worrying about this a lot more than Zach and his family are.

True, but its a great talking point.

Its also whats at the heart of the discussion that makes it great.  Does the integrity and character of the coach match that of his player(s)? I think most of us agree that it does.

Archived