McRoberts/Scholarship

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, PoHoosier said:

True, but its a great talking point.

Its also whats at the heart of the discussion that makes it great.  Does the integrity and character of the coach match that of his player(s)? I think most of us agree that it does.

My thinking is that Zach came here to just go to school and then came in as a walk on.  He was never guaranteed anything so I don't see why anyone on here would be complaining that he was not given a scholarship.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

My thinking is that Zach came here to just go to school and then came in as a walk on.  He was never guaranteed anything so I don't see why anyone on here would be complaining that he was not given a scholarship.

Are a person's integrity and character to be ignored in this day.  I find these two qualities severely lacking in this era.  Worse than ignoring those traits is not acknowledging said qualities then taking advantage of the same.  Its what leads to many hating their jobs.  I am not implying that this is what will happen with McRoberts.  I only hate to see the atmosphere created where that can happen to him.  Fortunately, the staff and teammates are not creating that atmosphere.  Hopefully the fans are not either.

23 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

What does the original intent of the relationship have anything to do with how the story should play out? 

If an employee is hired into a business at minimum wage, but does a great job, should they not be promoted? 

If a kid has middling grades in high school until his senior year, but begins to buckle down on his academics, should he not be allowed to go college?

If the player who is the punchline of the trade labelled  'the steal of the NBA off-season' has an all-star caliber year, should he not be allowed to play in the NBA all-star game?

2 hours ago, PoHoosier said:

Are a person's integrity and character to be ignored in this day.  I find these two qualities severely lacking in this era.  Worse than ignoring those traits is not acknowledging said qualities then taking advantage of the same.  Its what leads to many hating their jobs.  I am not implying that this is what will happen with McRoberts.  I only hate to see the atmosphere created where that can happen to him.  Fortunately, the staff and teammates are not creating that atmosphere.  Hopefully the fans are not either.

Archie wouldn’t lack integrity if he never offered the scholarship to McBob.

10 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Archie wouldn’t lack integrity if he never offered the scholarship to McBob.

I had to refrain from posting but it seems 2-3 posters are bent on suggesting/implying or very close to implying without really implying this.

This is one of the most current subjects on the board? A week after Romeo? Grad transfer? Recruiting has serious momentum....and we are discussing whether or not a scholarship should or should not be issued, whether it has monetary value...whether it is comparable to I think I saw an example of dating someone and it turning into marriage???? ...to a kid who decided to quit Vermont and accept a WALK ON opportunity at IU.....and now since he walked the stage is he even coming back. 

6 hours per semester is all Zach needs to pay for to stay eligible. Grad school fees is $373.14 per credit. Or about $2,000 per semester. Add in mandatory fees of $500 we could be discussing as low as $2,500 per semester. Or about 1/10-1/15 of what it costs to send kids to private high schools in Indy.

But who the heck am I to tell what people to discuss so have at it.

Woo, glad I am not one of those posters implying that or coming close to implying that about Archie.

About recruitment, regardless of the scholarship decision and resultant discussion of this very thread, that decision allowed the staff to fill a very important need.  I am glad to welcome Evan Fitzner to IU.  

1 minute ago, PoHoosier said:

Woo, glad I am not one of those posters implying that or coming close to implying that about Archie.

About recruitment, regardless of the scholarship decision and resultant discussion of this very thread, that decision allowed the staff to fill a very important need.  I am glad to welcome Evan Fitzner to IU.  

Amen. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I had to refrain from posting but it seems 2-3 posters are bent on suggesting/implying or very close to implying without really implying this.

This is one of the most current subjects on the board? A week after Romeo? Grad transfer? Recruiting has serious momentum....and we are discussing whether or not a scholarship should or should not be issued, whether it has monetary value...whether it is comparable to I think I saw an example of dating someone and it turning into marriage???? ...to a kid who decided to quit Vermont and accept a WALK ON opportunity at IU.....and now since he walked the stage is he even coming back. 

6 hours per semester is all Zach needs to pay for to stay eligible. Grad school fees is $373.14 per credit. Or about $2,000 per semester. Add in mandatory fees of $500 we could be discussing as low as $2,500 per semester. Or about 1/10-1/15 of what it costs to send kids to private high schools in Indy.

Thanks for clarifying seeking! When I posted earlier, I meant to say that Zach doesn’t need but a couple classes to stay eligible so a scholly isn’t necessary for him to keep playing with the team. By “done” I meant his degree not his playing days at IU 😃

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

The only people making it about money are the people saying Zach shouldn't have been offered a scholarship. I've pointed this out repeatedly and yet you guys still keep making it about money. 

Why does it matter what the initial agreement was? Have you not ever asked for a raise or a promotion? IIRC correctly,  you don't have an issue when kids are pushed out despite the original agreement so it strikes me as extremely disengenious to now focus on that agreement. It almost seems like you're not at all interested in the kids, only in winning as many games as possible no matter what. Apologize in advance if I misrepresented your position on kids being pushed out

Interestingly enough,  it is very likely IMO that you are in opposition of Archie on this one. We honestly have no idea rather or not he and Zach had that conversation; all we know is that Archie consistently sung Zach's praises and wants to rebuild relationships in this state. Logic would say he gave Zach the first right of refusal and they're on the same page. 

For those arguing about McBob getting a scholarship, I ask, out of the kids incoming who would you have taken the scholly away from and not had them be apart of this class?  I think this is why I don’t see giving him the scholly as beneficial to the entire team.  Has he earned it?  Yes, but you would be sacrificing 4 years of a better talent for one year of McRoberts.

11 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

The only people making it about money are the people saying Zach shouldn't have been offered a scholarship. I've pointed this out repeatedly and yet you guys still keep making it about money. 

Why does it matter what the initial agreement was? Have you not ever asked for a raise or a promotion? IIRC correctly,  you don't have an issue when kids are pushed out despite the original agreement so it strikes me as extremely disengenious to now focus on that agreement. It almost seems like you're not at all interested in the kids, only in winning as many games as possible no matter what. Apologize in advance if I misrepresented your position on kids being pushed out

Interestingly enough,  it is very likely IMO that you are in opposition of Archie on this one. We honestly have no idea rather or not he and Zach had that conversation; all we know is that Archie consistently sung Zach's praises and wants to rebuild relationships in this state. Logic would say he gave Zach the first right of refusal and they're on the same page. 

For the sake of clarity I think I've been consistent on this point since December. I've never made it about the money...because this isn't a money discussion. I've said the same thing. Archie offered a walk on spot. Zach accepted. End of story. Everything else is conjecture/pure speculation.

To answer your other question. No. I'm not in opposition of Archie on this one. I'm 100% on his side how he's handled. Zach is a walk on. Just like Archie asked him to be. What's changed? Given the attention to detail and what I've read from numerous articles from families, players, recruits....Archie shoots it straight all  the time. Which is why plenty like him so much. While I have no proof...I do know that I doubt very highly that Archie would change from his norm for Zach.

With that said. I've spent more than enough time on Zach McRoberts and his scholarship situation. I'll focus on what we know. 

Thinking Zach deserves a sholly is not criticism of Archie.  And even if it was , its perfectly okay to support a higher cause (IU basketball) without blindly supporting everything about it.  This is a DISCUSSION board.  This is a discussion topic just as is what type of offense we run or who should be in the rotation.

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Thinking Zach deserves a sholly is not criticism of Archie.  And even if it was , its perfectly okay to support a higher cause (IU basketball) without blindly supporting everything about it.  This is a DISCUSSION board.  This is a discussion topic just as is what type of offense we run or who should be in the rotation.

What are we discussing?

Ever since this thread was started I have been chewing on a few things.  I will do my best to convey my thoughts to you fellas.

McBob is the brother of a star that played at Duke and went into the NBA.  I am sure Zach would have been on everyone's radar at some point in time.  He picks Vermont.  It ain't "bigtime" but it has been a pretty good b-ball for several years.  He leaves the school.  He then looks all over and decides on IU to further his education and becomes a walk-on at a traditional "Blue Blood".  Now one would have to ask, "Why IU?".  Why didn't he go to IUPUI, Ball St., Butler, etc.?  

Just throwing that out there.

Another random thought...Josh and Zach appear to be two very different personalities. I remember Josh taking a lot of criticism for developing a back problem after not getting Mr. Basketball. I'm guessing the same folks criticizing Josh back in the day would absolutely not question Zach's character and heart.

3 hours ago, rico said:

Ever since this thread was started I have been chewing on a few things.  I will do my best to convey my thoughts to you fellas.

McBob is the brother of a star that played at Duke and went into the NBA.  I am sure Zach would have been on everyone's radar at some point in time.  He picks Vermont.  It ain't "bigtime" but it has been a pretty good b-ball for several years.  He leaves the school.  He then looks all over and decides on IU to further his education and becomes a walk-on at a traditional "Blue Blood".  Now one would have to ask, "Why IU?".  Why didn't he go to IUPUI, Ball St., Butler, etc.?  

Just throwing that out there.

Well, IU is a demonstrably better school than BSU or IUPUI. Butler is a great school, but is private. 

3 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Another random thought...Josh and Zach appear to be two very different personalities. I remember Josh taking a lot of criticism for developing a back problem after not getting Mr. Basketball. I'm guessing the same folks criticizing Josh back in the day would absolutely not question Zach's character and heart.

Pretty giant age gap, can't imagine they are very close. Zach was the kid brother of an NBA player (similar to Devonte actually). Big age gaps. 

Only thing I'm going to say we should all agree on.... McRoberts isn't your usual walkon. 80% or more of schools he's a scholarship player. Cannot stand when I hear "if a walkon is good enough to start we won't be very good". Wears me out 

7 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Well, IU is a demonstrably better school than BSU or IUPUI. Butler is a great school, but is private. 

My point was that he could have got a scholarship at other schools in the state.

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

He wasn't planning on playing basketball at IU and even took a year off. 

That's a good point to remember. McRoberts walked away from the game, realized at IU that he missed it and wanted to play for nothing more than the love of the game.  His family was already prepared to pay tuition and there was no athletic scholarship in the master plan.  While I would have loved to see him get an extra scholarship if available, there is no such scholarship and I doubt one was ever promised or asked for.  The last scholarship filled a real need and I can't imagine a selfless player like McBob standing in the way of making the team considerably better by plugging a hole.

i don' t see any issue not giving a scholarship to a senior who has already graduated.  And i would also think less of a senior who graduated  and had only 1 year of eligibility left and took a scholarship from a potential future IU player.  I think we're exactly where we need to be with more front court which was needed.

Archived