McRoberts/Scholarship

37 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

i don' t see any issue not giving a scholarship to a senior who has already graduated.  And i would also think less of a senior who graduated  and had only 1 year of eligibility left and took a scholarship from a potential future IU player.  I think we're exactly where we need to be with more front court which was needed.

You would think less of someone for not turning down a scholarship? I'm surely not understanding what you said. 

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

You would think less of someone for not turning down a scholarship? I'm surely not understanding what you said. 

That makes two of us.........I have no idea what Iowa just said.  Does he think McBob is on a scholly?

I think this is between the Coach and the Player and his family. Not any of my business. If they are fine with how things have happened, then so am I. If they are not, I bet we'd of heard about it by now in this twitter age. 

I like Zach a lot! But there's Nothing to see here.

22 minutes ago, ColtsIUDomer said:

I think this is between the Coach and the Player and his family. Not any of my business. If they are fine with how things have happened, then so am I. If they are not, I bet we'd of heard about it by now in this twitter age. 

I like Zach a lot! But there's Nothing to see here.

The best post in the thread, my hat's off to ya.

57 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

What i mean is that as a 5th year senior who has already graduated i would think less of him for taking a scholarship instead of allowing it to be used for a future Hoosier.  Now, if we had extra scholarships, then by all means take it.  But if it was him or some possible 4 year incoming freshman, i would want the freshman.

3 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

What i mean is that as a 5th year senior who has already graduated i would think less of him for taking a scholarship instead of allowing it to be used for a future Hoosier.  Now, if we had extra scholarships, then by all means take it.  But if it was him or some possible 4 year incoming freshman, i would want the freshman.

Okay........so how does that apply to McRoberts?

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Fitzner is a 5th year SR who has graduated..

16 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Fitzner is a 5th year SR who has graduated..

I don't disagree with this state and i didn't say i was in favor of it other than this kid if a 6'10 front court player, not another 6'5 - 6'8 wing like McBob.  And if this kids averages more than the 5 points a game he did with the Gales, then maybe he was worth the scholarship. 

Who is more deserving, i don't know.

And much like other, i should know better than get into a Hartman or McBob conversation.  No matter what i say about them, i am in the wrong.

Therefore i am out of the McBob conversation and now can't wait for him to leave the program

BTW you guys are relentless when it comes to this kid.  No matter what anyone says about him, if you don't say he is the greatest thing since Colin Hartman, you guys are all over people.  Its ok for people to have differing opinions without be jumped on

Thanks for clarifying. 

I don't disagree with this state and i didn't say i was in favor of it other than this kid if a 6'10 front court player, not another 6'5 - 6'8 wing like McBob.  And if this kids averages more than the 5 points a game he did with the Gales, then maybe he was worth the scholarship. 

Who is more deserving, i don't know.

And much like other, i should know better than get into a Hartman or McBob conversation.  No matter what i say about them, i am in the wrong.

Therefore i am out of the McBob conversation and now can't wait for him to leave the program

BTW you guys are relentless when it comes to this kid.  No matter what anyone says about him, if you don't say he is the greatest thing since Colin Hartman, you guys are all over people.  Its ok for people to have differing opinions without be jumped on

Ok

6 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Including redshirts like Race or medical redshirts like a Mo Creek?  You look down on them for taking a scholarship?  

Can we close this thread yet?

Theoretically, you have kids in the locker room who come from a lower socioeconomic home. I could see resentment building, maybe not perceptible, but still there, if Zach takes scholarship dollars that could have been given to an equally talented player who has more financial need.

Not saying it's right or wrong, but locker room dissension can kill a team. Who knows what goes on internally with any team but one less potential problem has seemingly been resolved by this decision 

8 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Theoretically, you have kids in the locker room who come from a lower socioeconomic home. I could see resentment building, maybe not perceptible, but still there, if Zach takes scholarship dollars that could have been given to an equally talented player who has more financial need.

Not saying it's right or wrong, but locker room dissension can kill a team. Who knows what goes on internally with any team but one less potential problem has seemingly been resolved by this decision 

What player has Zach's talent level and no scholarship? Otherwise that's a pretty wild straw man. 

Not saying there is one on the roster but if he had taken up the last scholly, we wouldn't have been able to sign Evan.

As well, who knows what other kids might be thinking. Anything that is a potential source of conflict within the locker room that can be avoided is a good thing in my opinion 

4 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

This is the most “college basketball message board in the month of May” thread ever.

I don't know.  The one about Blue's toenail fungus from a couple of years ago would probably take the trophy.

56 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I don't know.  The one about Blue's toenail fungus from a couple of years ago would probably take the trophy.

You will have to refresh my memory on that one............but is that the one where Blue's 1st cousin had a certain "fetish"?

10 hours ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Agree all day. Not that it happened this way but the possibility it could. People think just because they put on the same uniform that everything is unicorns and rainbows. Very rare to find a team where everyone meshes.

I don't want to derail this thread because of how important it is to the future of IU basketball and Archie's integrity....but many stories came from our early 90's teams. Not everyone got along. I'll stay on topic.

14 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

What player has Zach's talent level and no scholarship? Otherwise that's a pretty wild straw man. 

Zak Showalter walked on at Wisconsin and was a pretty highly regarded recruit.  He did end up getting a scholarship in his 2nd or 3rd year with them, but there have been players quite a bit better than McBob to not have a scholarship.  IMO, McBob isn't that talented, he just has a high bball IQ and works his butt off, which makes up for a lack of talent.

5 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

Zak Showalter walked on at Wisconsin and was a pretty highly regarded recruit.  He did end up getting a scholarship in his 2nd or 3rd year with them, but there have been players quite a bit better than McBob to not have a scholarship.  IMO, McBob isn't that talented, he just has a high bball IQ and works his butt off, which makes up for a lack of talent.

Oh course McRoberts isnt the most talented player to ever walk-on; we were talking about on IU currently. 

Without mentioning that he doesn't score as much as you like, can you explain why you don't think he is talented? 

16 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Including redshirts like Race or medical redshirts like a Mo Creek?  You look down on them for taking a scholarship?  

Can we close this thread yet?

Not sure what you're getting at. I said i would look unfavorably at a 5th year senior taking a scholarship.  Kids who already have scholarships when they reach their firth year is something different all together.  

I agree, shut this topic down

Archived