"Who do you wish......"?

Well with all the Romeo speculation over and done with I thought I would post this topic for discussion.  "Who do you wish would have picked IU?"

I will always wonder about Oden and Conley.  What if they would have came here?  Jason Gardner?  Dominic James?  Robbie Hummel?  

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm thinking In State kids..

I wish we could've worked things out with Sean May - mainly from the legacy standpoint.

Scott Skiles - I watched him a few times in high school plus that great tournament run they had. I would've loved for him to go to IU. My Dad thought he and RMK would've killed each other. I thought the opposite, that with a bit of handling they would've matched up very well. I'm ever the optimist i guess!

Yes, Montross, (I couldn't remember his name, didn't want to look it up, Thanks!) that one hurt. 

The Big Dog would've had a better college career at IU, (Obviously!) less points, but way more wins. Not to mention how we would've benefited as well! Throw him on that 92-93 team? whoa! - banner time. I always liked that kid, even though he made a bad college choice! ha! 

I may add more as i think of them

Crazy no chance ones: Kevin Garnett, Kobe Bryant, LeBron James. Magic Johnson and if Bird stayed.

Guys that we were or should have actually been in on: Oden/Conley, Montross, Big Dog, other Zeller brothers, Plumlees, Harris.

The thing about Oden/Conley that is most interesting to me is if they would have picked IU and we made another run with Davis how many additional years would Davis have been at IU? The dominoes fall differently from there, probably no Sampson or Crean, but maybe Davis wears out his welcome after Butler makes their 2 NCAAT title game runs (if those still happen in this alt-universe) and we hire Stephens as Davis's replacement? Crazy to think about how one different choice by two kids in 2005 would have likely changed so many things.

36 minutes ago, ColtsIUDomer said:

Scott Skiles - I watched him a few times in high school plus that great tournament run they had. I would've loved for him to go to IU. My Dad thought he and RMK would've killed each other. I thought the opposite, that with a bit of handling they would've matched up very well. I'm ever the optimist i guess!

This is completely hearsay, so if others think this is false please correct me.  What I heard was that Skiles liked "puff the magic dragon" and that Knight was not OK with it.  I don't want to start false rumors and I am not particularly close to the situation, so correct me if I am wrong and delete this post.

He was one heck of a player though.

20 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

This is completely hearsay, so if others think this is false please correct me.  What I heard was that Skiles liked "puff the magic dragon" and that Knight was not OK with it.  I don't want to start false rumors and I am not particularly close to the situation, so correct me if I am wrong and delete this post.

HA! maybe. He couldn't of been worse than Edwards!  Also hearsay, as I personally never blazed up WITH him first hand. I couldn't inhale anyway, never could. Dang it. Had to stick with beer as a youth.

34 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

No, you are correct.  He also got pulled over with cocaine in his car.  Remember it well, it was big news around here.

3 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

I know, it was a joke.  :panic:

I understood.  But a lot of people forget Scott got into trouble with the law.  IIRC, he did a plea agreement.  He pled guilty to the weed charge and the state dropped the coke charge.

To me I didn't care about Montross so much because during that time I had so much confidence in Knight it didn't matter who we rolled out there (considering what 89 team did, fresh off title,etc...

Oden is (because Conley and his Dad were tied to his hip) the one I wanted. IU needed him so badly to boost our morale regardless of the 02 run. Couple others during Crean era but Oden is the one for me. 

Not sure of the year......but anyway my former boss had a kid that was an Indiana All-star.  So I saw him play all the time.  But one day at work the boss told me I needed to go to his kid's game that night.  I told him I had seen his kid play enough.  He told me it wasn't to watch his kid but I needed to check out a kid on the other team.  Connersville was on the docket that night.  I watched in amazement what this 6-7 kid was doing.  My boss asked me what I thought.  I said I hope he comes to IU.  That kid was Matt Howard.  Would loved to had seen him put on the candy stripes.

2 minutes ago, rico said:

Not sure of the year......but anyway my former boss had a kid that was an Indiana All-star.  So I saw him play all the time.  But one day at work the boss told me I needed to go to his kid's game that night.  I told him I had seen his kid play enough.  He told me it wasn't to watch his kid but I needed to check out a kid on the other team.  Connersville was on the docket that night.  I watched in amazement what this 6-7 kid was doing.  My boss asked me what I thought.  I said I hope he comes to IU.  That kid was Matt Howard.  Would loved to had seen him put on the candy stripes.

No reason he wasn't recruited.

Mine would be Luke Harangody, kids brother and dad both went to IU. Grew up with his room painted IU and Davis doesn't recruit him until he's a SR. Avgs 19 and 10 for his career. 3x All American. Big East POY as a SO, and stayed all 4 years. Good one Mike, good one. 

What about Gary Harris? He very possibly could have helped deliver a banner in '13 and it's hard to imagine falling off like we did in '14 if we have a backcourt of Yogi, Harris and then  Vonleh down low. Maybe a few others from the Movement would've gone elsewhere and we could've had Dunham in that class too. 

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

No reason he wasn't recruited.

Mine would be Luke Harangody, kids brother and dad both went to IU. Grew up with his room painted IU and Davis doesn't recruit him until he's a SR. Avgs 19 and 10 for his career. 3x All American. Big East POY as a SO, and stayed all 4 years. Good one Mike, good one. 

Yeah, Luke was a player for sure.  Mike f*#@ed up that one.  Great call btown.  You refreshed my memory and now I am pissed all over again!  LOL

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

What about Gary Harris? He very possibly could have helped deliver a banner in '13 and it's hard to imagine falling off like we did in '14 if we have a backcourt of Yogi, Harris and then  Vonleh down low. Maybe a few others from the Movement would've gone elsewhere and we could've had Dunham in that class too. 

Good call on both accounts.  Dunham, still has me shaking my head.  Why Crean?  Why?

7 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Least we lost him to MSU. I agree though... I'm saying MSU because they were really good then. 

4 minutes ago, rico said:

And yet another one........I am starting to think I shouldn't have started this thread.  My day is filled with "what ifs".  UGH.

Granted... Gordon was a late bloomer, but.... here's another Tyler Zeller 

Archived