"Who do you wish......"?

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

I know why.  Upon getting a late scholarship offer to IU, the Harangody's traveled to Bloomington to have a face to face with Coach Davis.  When asked why Luke was offered so late, Coach Davis said he was too busy fending off rumors that he (Davis) was getting fired.  That is what caused Luke to choose an instate school. Closer to home.

That's probably the stupidest reasoning I've ever heard. Jesus. Just tell them you messed up

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, btownqb said:

No reason he wasn't recruited.

Mine would be Luke Harangody, kids brother and dad both went to IU. Grew up with his room painted IU and Davis doesn't recruit him until he's a SR. Avgs 19 and 10 for his career. 3x All American. Big East POY as a SO, and stayed all 4 years. Good one Mike, good one. 

Or Dominic James.  According to Bloom his AAU coach we would've had him had we offered.  We badly needed a PG then too.  Instead Davis brought in Lewis Monroe and Earl Calloway.  It's amazing just how incompetent Davis was.  It felt like we were all on candid camera for much of his tenure here.

2 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Or Dominic James.  According to Bloom his AAU coach we would've had him had we offered.  We badly needed a PG then too.  Instead Davis brought in Lewis Monroe and Earl Calloway.  It's amazing just how incompetent Davis was.  It felt like we were all on candid camera for much of his tenure here.

Mike Davis has been to the NCAA tournament a lot more than IU has in recent years.  :jumprope:

9 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Don't blame Davis. What assistant wouldn't take this job if offered? Coaches who aren't prepared for this level are going to make those mistakes.

Blame the ineptness of IU administration at the time that thought this was a good plan. Myles Brand, Clarence Doninger, few of the trustees....a college basketball team program that was one of the elite during 70's/80's/90's...still reeling minus 3 seasons. 

12 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Don't blame Davis. What assistant wouldn't take this job if offered? Coaches who aren't prepared for this level are going to make those mistakes.

Blame the ineptness of IU administration at the time that thought this was a good plan. Myles Brand, Clarence Doninger, few of the trustees....a college basketball team program that was one of the elite during 70's/80's/90's...still reeling minus 3 seasons. 

Definitely on the IU admin.  He just wasn't the coach for us.  It should be pointed out that he got the ax at UAB as well, after doing a pretty decent job with the Blazers.  He looks to have found a home now and is doing quite well.

24 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Oh I've blamed the administration many times.  They are ultimately responsible for this mess we've been in the past 20 years.  But Davis was truly incompetent in a very, very unique way.  That famous Jason Whitlock article says it all.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

The administration caved because the players threatened to revolt if Davis wasn't named coach.

Inmates ran the asylum on that one. Administration had no backbone.

21 hours ago, rico said:

I understood.  But a lot of people forget Scott got into trouble with the law.  IIRC, he did a plea agreement.  He pled guilty to the weed charge and the state dropped the coke charge.

My dad went to Western Illinois back in the 80s when Skiles was playing.  MSU played a game at Western, and my dad went to the game.  He said that some students behind the basket brought in plastic bags full of flour and waved them around when Skiles was shooting free throws.  I guess Skiles just torched them, and that at one point after he made a basket, he flipped off the crowd as he ran back down the court.  Would be awesome if college basketball was still like that today, haha

2 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

My dad went to Western Illinois back in the 80s when Skiles was playing.  MSU played a game at Western, and my dad went to the game.  He said that some students behind the basket brought in plastic bags full of flour and waved them around when Skiles was shooting free throws.  I guess Skiles just torched them, and that at one point after he made a basket, he flipped off the crowd as he ran back down the court.  Would be awesome if college basketball was still like that today, haha

That is funny.  

13 hours ago, rico said:

Now I dislike Knight even more.  Geez.  I loved Jerry.  He might have been a Boiler but I respected him and his game.  Now i am really wondering how the classes of '77 and '78 would have looked.  Wow.  I am getting a 'chubby" thinking about it!  Beer me.

I believe Sam Alford was Jerry's coach at Martinsville.  Both Sichting and Steve Alford were excellent free throw shooters and I'd have to think the elder Alford was part of the reason why.  I've somewhat joked in the past that IU might consider bringing in Sam as a FT tutor.

12 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

I believe Sam Alford was Jerry's coach at Martinsville.  Both Sichting and Steve Alford were excellent free throw shooters and I'd have to think the elder Alford was part of the reason why.  I've somewhat joked in the past that IU might consider bringing in Sam as a FT tutor.

Ugh again!!!!!!!!  But you did bring up a certain thing that I read about years back.  Almost 100% sure that Sam went to Franklin College.......where he led the nation in FT%.

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I went to Bob Donewald's camp at Illinois St in the 6th grade. I showed up with my Green Converse (they were made for Bird) but Coach Donewald asked my why the Green shoes I said for Scott Skiles. Loved him as a player. Remembering him yelling at Antoine Joubert fat boy taunts all the time. Growing up in Illinois we only got about 7-8 IU games per year until Big Monday came around. Besides IU...Skiles was must watch tv for me. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I went to Bob Donewald's camp at Illinois St in the 6th grade. I showed up with my Green Converse (they were made for Bird) but Coach Donewald asked my why the Green shoes I said for Scott Skiles. Loved him as a player. Remembering him yelling at Antoine Joubert fat boy taunts all the time. Growing up in Illinois we only got about 7-8 IU games per year until Big Monday came around. Besides IU...Skiles was must watch tv for me. 

Another fun fact some may not know — Scott Skiles’ son has a law degree from IU.  He was two years ahead of me at Maurer.

1 minute ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Another fun fact some may not know — Scott Skiles’ son has a law degree from IU.  He was two years ahead of me at Maurer.

I actually did. Kirkland and Ellis is a great firm for the young. One of their old Managing Partner's took over my wife's firm for years about a decade ago.....she's since moved on.

2 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Closest thing to that recently would have to be Marshall Henderson at Ole Miss, right?

44 minutes ago, rico said:

Back to topic........

Earlier 'fouls said Oscar Robertson.  Why didn't he come here?  IU had already won 2 titles.  Hallie Bryant came here(HS team mate).  Why Cincinnati?

This article claims that Oscar wanted to go to IU. But when he met with Branch, did not feel welcome.

Oscar Robertson - On To Cincinnati 

32 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

This article claims that Oscar wanted to go to IU. But when he met with Branch, did not feel welcome.

Oscar Robertson - On To Cincinnati 

See Getting Open:  The Unknown Story of Bill Garrett and the Integration of College Basketball by Tom Graham and Rachel Graham Cody.  Tom Graham is a lawyer and IU grad, and Rachel is his daughter.  Some of the book can be found on-line.  According to the authors there was a tension between Robertson and McCracken.  Aside from the racial difference McCracken was a country boy and Robertson from the big city.  Garrett was from Shelbyville a more rural area.  McCracken had just "lost" Wilt Chamberlin, a big city guy, to Kansas, and he was wary (perhaps unnecessarily) of the same thing happening with Robertson.  In fact he had also "lost" Clyde Lovellette from Terre Haute to Kansas, and he led the Jayhawks to the 1952 NCAA title.  This story is in Getting Open, also.  McCracken was disappointed with the performance of Hallie Bryant at IU.  At any rate the book is a good read for Indiana High School basketball in late 40's and 50's as well as IU basketball for the same period.  The book also deals with race and basketball for the same period in Indiana and  at IU.

9 minutes ago, slojoe said:

See Getting Open:  The Unknown Story of Bill Garrett and the Integration of College Basketball by Tom Graham and Rachel Graham Cody.  Tom Graham is a lawyer and IU grad, and Rachel is his daughter.  Some of the book can be found on-line.  According to the authors there was a tension between Robertson and McCracken.  Aside from the racial difference McCracken was a country boy and Robertson from the big city.  Garrett was from Shelbyville a more rural area.  McCracken had just "lost" Wilt Chamberlin, a big city guy, to Kansas, and he was wary (perhaps unnecessarily) of the same thing happening with Robertson.  In fact he had also "lost" Clyde Lovellette from Terre Haute to Kansas, and he led the Jayhawks to the 1952 NCAA title.  This story is in Getting Open, also.  McCracken was disappointed with the performance of Hallie Bryant at IU.  At any rate the book is a good read for Indiana High School basketball in late 40's and 50's as well as IU basketball for the same period.  The book also deals with race and basketball for the same period in Indiana and  at IU.

Thanks for the info.

Archived