"Who do you wish......"?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, btownqb said:

It's honestly gross we didn't get all the Zellers...  Washington to Bloomington is 61 miles and one of the most beautiful drives ever. I'm fuming. 

Calm down killer!!!!!!!!  I was worried about my health, now I am worried about yours!!!!!  It does boggle the mind on how many guys we missed on that came from this state and had stellar college careers at other schools.  

3 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Macy was good, but Sichting actually wanted to play for IU

If that is the case then Bobby f#$ked up that one.  Am I right in thinking Jerry would have been a freshman on the '76 team?  If so, we sure could have used him in '77 and '78.  And that would have made us scary good in '79.  I loved Sichting's game.  

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

To me I didn't care about Montross so much because during that time I had so much confidence in Knight it didn't matter who we rolled out there (considering what 89 team did, fresh off title,etc...

Oden is (because Conley and his Dad were tied to his hip) the one I wanted. IU needed him so badly to boost our morale regardless of the 02 run. Couple others during Crean era but Oden is the one for me. 

If Montross was on those 92 and 93 I would be shocked if we did not win another title.  In 93 we lacked size especially after Henderson got hurt and we lsot to KU in the elite 8 because of our lack of size.

2 hours ago, rico said:

Not sure of the year......but anyway my former boss had a kid that was an Indiana All-star.  So I saw him play all the time.  But one day at work the boss told me I needed to go to his kid's game that night.  I told him I had seen his kid play enough.  He told me it wasn't to watch his kid but I needed to check out a kid on the other team.  Connersville was on the docket that night.  I watched in amazement what this 6-7 kid was doing.  My boss asked me what I thought.  I said I hope he comes to IU.  That kid was Matt Howard.  Would loved to had seen him put on the candy stripes.

The only time I saw Howard in HS was during the summer after his senior year at the Hoosier Gym.  Every year they have a Hoosier All star game there and that was the year with Gordon and all the guys going to Purdue.  I was impressed with Howard and Jeff Teague and wished IU was recruiting them.

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The only time I saw Howard in HS was during the summer after his senior year at the Hoosier Gym.  Every year they have a Hoosier All star game there and that was the year with Gordon and all the guys going to Purdue.  I was impressed with Howard and Jeff Teague and wished IU was recruiting them.

I saw Matt play against Pendleton Heights.  The Arabians had a 6-8 kid that went to Southern Illinois.  Howard schooled Nick Rogers.  Good thing Pendleton had Vaughn Duggins(my boss's son) and that Connersville was a 1-man show.  BTW......Vaughn committed to UNC-Wilmington but followed Brad Brownell to Wright St(Clemson now).  Yeah Matt was a "Hoosier".  Bobby would have got him.

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Regarding Matt Howard. I think one of the first calls Sampson made when hired was to him (besides Gordon). Was a really good one. 

He also made a call to the aforementioned Vaughn Duggins.  Btw, Vaughn's Dad(my boss and friend) was/is an IU fan.  Duggins ended up with over 1700 points at Wright State.  Howard scored close to 2,000 at Butler.  The ironic part about it is those two are were buds.  Howard committed to Butler and the Dawgs offered Duggins a scholly, but fo somer reason withdrew it.  Vaughn is playing over seas as is Howard the last time I checked.  Think Sampson missed out on a couple?  

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

We could have had: 

In 2010 

Harangody SR

Hayward SO

Matt Howard JR 

Tyler Zeller SO 

Idk if I want to talk about his anymore.... 

Harangody is especially perplexing to me.  In the fact that nearly his entire family went to IU.  Brothers, Mother, Father, Uncles.   With a legacy like that, there should never have been a reason he did not don the Candy Stripes.

21 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Harangody is especially perplexing to me.  In the fact that nearly his entire family went to IU.  Brothers, Mother, Father, Uncles.   With a legacy like that, there should never have been a reason he did not don the Candy Stripes.

More so than May?

1 hour ago, rico said:

More so than May?

Can't say for sure. As I have not followed the May family as I have the Harangody's, since the Harangody's are from "The Region". Lived in Scherrillville and attended Andrean High School. Not sure of how many Aunts and Uncles not named Harangody attended IU. But did read an article once, that said that Luke was the only member of the extended family not to go to IU.

Immediate family members, named Harangody :

Dad. David. Played football at IU

Mom. Margaret. Or Peg as her friends call her.  Attended IU

Brother.  Ty. Played football at IU

3 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Can't say for sure. As I have not followed the May family as I have the Harangody's, since the Harangody's are from "The Region". Lived in Scherrillville and attended Andrean High School. Not sure of how many Aunts and Uncles not named Harangody attended IU. But did read an article once, that said that Luke was the only member of the extended family not to go to IU.

Immediate family members, named Harangody :

Dad. David. Played football at IU

Mom. Margaret. Or Peg as her friends call her.  Attended IU

Brother.  Ty. Played football at IU

I understand.  Seems to me we should have had him locked up.  Sometimes all you can do is shake your head and as "Why?"  

4 hours ago, rico said:

If that is the case then Bobby f#$ked up that one.  Am I right in thinking Jerry would have been a freshman on the '76 team?  If so, we sure could have used him in '77 and '78.  And that would have made us scary good in '79.  I loved Sichting's game.  

For some reason I want to say that Knight later confessed that he should have taken Jerry.  I can't remember where I read or heard that.

1 hour ago, Zuckerkorn said:

For some reason I want to say that Knight later confessed that he should have taken Jerry.  I can't remember where I read or heard that.

Exactly right 

1 hour ago, rico said:

I understand.  Seems to me we should have had him locked up.  Sometimes all you can do is shake your head and as "Why?"  

I know why.  Upon getting a late scholarship offer to IU, the Harangody's traveled to Bloomington to have a face to face with Coach Davis.  When asked why Luke was offered so late, Coach Davis said he was too busy fending off rumors that he (Davis) was getting fired.  That is what caused Luke to choose an instate school. Closer to home.

45 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I know why.  Upon getting a late scholarship offer to IU, the Harangody's traveled to Bloomington to have a face to face with Coach Davis.  When asked why Luke was offered so late, Coach Davis said he was too busy fending off rumors that he (Davis) was getting fired.  That is what caused Luke to choose an instate school. Closer to home.

I never heard that before.....can't get this stuff on ESPN!!!!!!

2 hours ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Now I dislike Knight even more.  Geez.  I loved Jerry.  He might have been a Boiler but I respected him and his game.  Now i am really wondering how the classes of '77 and '78 would have looked.  Wow.  I am getting a 'chubby" thinking about it!  Beer me.

Archived