Mr. Basketball - Senior or any year?

Seeing Trendon Watford named Mr. Basketball in his recruiting thread got me thinking, with Indiana Mr. Basketball being eligible to only seniors and other states being open to multiple years, which does HSN 3.0 prefer?

I think given Indiana's tradition it would probably be a tough sell to change things, so I guess I'd prefer it to stay the same, but it would be more interesting if it was any years. Romeo his sophomore year winning a state title surely would have given Kyle Guy a run for his money. Would there have been any 4 year winners? Robertson, Bailey, Oden?

Just leave it the way it is and another thing with Indiana is that Mr. basketball gets to wear the #1 in the all star game.  With the all star game being just for seniors and the Mr. basketball not being a senior and not able to play in the all star game would not be good.

2 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I think Mr Basketball should be whomever is the best on a high school team.  Any year.  Just because its always been this way doesn' t mean its correct.

It's a big reason Romeo stuck around in Indiana though. He wanted to be Mr. Basketball... also having that #1 jersey for the All Star game means something. a lot. 

22 minutes ago, btownqb said:

It's a big reason Romeo stuck around in Indiana though. He wanted to be Mr. Basketball... also having that #1 jersey for the All Star game means something. a lot. 

Agree.  I saw the other day that becoming Mr. Basketball is one of Keion Brook's goals. 

1 hour ago, cybergates said:

Seeing Trendon Watford named Mr. Basketball in his recruiting thread got me thinking, with Indiana Mr. Basketball being eligible to only seniors and other states being open to multiple years, which does HSN 3.0 prefer?

I think given Indiana's tradition it would probably be a tough sell to change things, so I guess I'd prefer it to stay the same, but it would be more interesting if it was any years. Romeo his sophomore year winning a state title surely would have given Kyle Guy a run for his money. Would there have been any 4 year winners? Robertson, Bailey, Oden?

Interesting topic for sure.  I want it to stay the same, but it is an intriguing question.  I would have to go back and look at our former winners.  But I do know that Oscar had a team mate that won it, so he probably wouldn't have won it 4 years.  Bailey would be a good one for 4 but I think Edwards and Jones won it his frosh year.  Now Oden.....to me he could have won it 4 years in a row or certainly 3.  

1 hour ago, rico said:

Interesting topic for sure.  I want it to stay the same, but it is an intriguing question.  I would have to go back and look at our former winners.  But I do know that Oscar had a team mate that won it, so he probably wouldn't have won it 4 years.  Bailey would be a good one for 4 but I think Edwards and Jones won it his frosh year.  Now Oden.....to me he could have won it 4 years in a row or certainly 3.  

I did the same and figured Baily couldn't have won because of Edwards/Jones especially since they knocked him out of the tournament and won state. I agree that Oden is the best candidate for all 4 years without doing additional research. I think all of those could have possible won 3 out of 4 with Langford included.

6 minutes ago, cybergates said:

I did the same and figured Baily couldn't have won because of Edwards/Jones especially since they knocked him out of the tournament and won state. I agree that Oden is the best candidate for all 4 years without doing additional research. I think all of those could have possible won 3 out of 4 with Langford included.

The one thing I don't know about Oden is what kind of numbers he put up as a frosh.  But as dominate as he was he also played on a pretty good team.  That being said,  Eric Gordon could have challenged him for a couple of years.  

9 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

My question about the MR basketball.  @btownqb says is based on your accumulated 4 years of play.  I don't honestly know if this is true or not?  If it is, then i could see Senior only.  If it only based on the Senior year, meh, i don't really like it then. Just my opinion though 

I didn't say it was an accumulation.. I have no idea how they look at it. I just like the #1 in the IN KY series to be Mr. Basketball. It's meaningful in this state.  

2 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

My question about the MR basketball.  @btownqb says is based on your accumulated 4 years of play.  I don't honestly know if this is true or not?  If it is, then i could see Senior only.  If it only based on the Senior year, meh, i don't really like it then. Just my opinion though 

I don't know how they do it either.  You would have to do research on it to get some sort of answer.  But I do know this much.....there are several Mr. Basketball's that were not the best player in the state when they won it.  And in one particular case, he wasn't even the best player on his own team.

On 5/10/2018 at 11:10 AM, rico said:

Not sure about that. McRoberts won Gatorade Player of the Year Nationally his senior year, which was Oden's junior year.

EDIT: Nevermind - Oden won the award as a junior, McRoberts must have just won Mr. Basketball. 

15 hours ago, slojoe said:

I prefer the award going only to a senior.  First, reason is tradition.  Second, is the whether the voters see it as a career award, I like to view it that way.

Agree. To me, Mr. Basketball should be awarded to recognize a player's entire high school career, not just for a single great season. 

4 hours ago, hoosierBGH said:

Agree. To me, Mr. Basketball should be awarded to recognize a player's entire high school career, not just for a single great season. 

I quadrupled my season point total my senior year compared to my junior year and got absolutely no Mr. Basketball consideration.  Granted, it was 4 total points compared to 1, but still.....

Archived