Trey Galloway Commits to Indiana

6 hours ago, 5fouls said:

What's their recruiting pitch?

"Trey, we would be really interested in you becoming a Jayhawk so we can recruit over you for the next 4 years."

Trey is a solid player.  But, he does not belong in a one and done environment.

I would hope we would recruit over him to. If he is the best player on the team going forward we are in trouble. I never under stood the recruited over thing. If you can't play with better players then dont play.

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Indykev said:

I would hope we would recruit over him to. If he is the best player on the team going forward we are in trouble. I never under stood the recruited over thing. If you can't play with better players then dont play.

So, are you promoting a one and done environment at IU?  One year (or 6 games) of Darius Garland over 4 years of Yogi Ferrell (or Rob Phinisee)?

Just now, 5fouls said:

So, are you promoting a one and done environment at IU?  One year (or 6 games) of Darius Garland over 4 years of Yogi Ferrell (or Rob Phinisee)?

I'm promoting getting the best players you can get to win National Championships.

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Then we should recruit like Virginia, Villanova, etc. and not like Kansas and Kentucky.

I don't care who we recruit like, as long as we win championships. My point is if Galloway is our best player in the future and isnt recruited over we are in trouble.

Trey is the kind of kid that would make any team better. I credit Kansas for seeing his potential....although I don’t think they have much a shot at convincing him it’s in his best interest to go there. 

Or Kansas decided to go clean and fire their money man....yeah never mind....it’s more realistic they see Trey as a great fit to their athletic guards then they stop paying for players.

Screw the  best players available. OAD's. I am over them. They contribute nothing to the future of our program.  Vonleh and even Romeo. Romeo was hampered by an injury. Granted that. But chose not to come back to prove he was more than his first year.  Wish you all the best in the NBA, Romeo.  But you could have come back, injury free to help our program to the next level this coming season. 

Give me a guy who has improving the program as his best interest first, and filling his  bank account next as his priority.

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Screw the  best players available. OAD's. I am over them. They contribute nothing to the future of our program.  Vonleh and even Romeo. Romeo was hampered by an injury. Granted that. But chose not to come back to prove he was more than his first year.  Wish you all the best in the NBA, Romeo.  But you could have come back, injury free to help our program to the next level this coming season. 

Give me a guy who has improving the program as his best interest first, and filling his  bank account next as his priority.

Question for you. At the end of Knights tenure even though we weren’t winning at the level we were accustomed do you think those teams could compete for a championship in today’s NCAA or they would still not be enough? Would they be able to use the grit and experience and execution that Knight taught to overcome today’s young talent or would they just not have the talent? There is no doubt these kids are coming into college now with more and more talent but it seems that there are less and less veteran teams come March. Why I think the Dukes and the UKs with super kids still can’t get over the top.

7 hours ago, dgambill said:

Question for you. At the end of Knights tenure even though we weren’t winning at the level we were accustomed do you think those teams could compete for a championship in today’s NCAA or they would still not be enough? Would they be able to use the grit and experience and execution that Knight taught to overcome today’s young talent or would they just not have the talent? There is no doubt these kids are coming into college now with more and more talent but it seems that there are less and less veteran teams come March. Why I think the Dukes and the UKs with super kids still can’t get over the top.

I believe you answered the question with your thoughts.

16 hours ago, milehiiu said:

.Keep being ranked 10th in the Big Ten. This isn't the 70's, its today's game. Get with it or have 30 more years of the same.

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

But UVA, Villanova and UW has shown you can go far without the OAD talent

Add Gonzaga to that group. With the exception of Zach Collins., in recent years.  Coach Few actually has gone the other way of OAD's.  In recent years, up to half of his roster is filled with redshirt players.  And with a career winning percentage of over .800%, Coach Few is proving a program can win without OAD's. Give me the Few way, any day. THAT is how to build a program. 

Chasing OAD's will leave IU in 10th place.  Actually 9th last season.  With a OAD draft pick to boot.

4 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Add Gonzaga to that group. With the exception of Zach Collins., in recent years.  Coach Few actually has gone the other way of OAD's.  In recent years, up to half of his roster is filled with redshirt players.  And with a career winning percentage of over .800%, Coach Few is proving a program can win without OAD's. Give me the Few way, any day. THAT is how to build a program. 

Chasing OAD's will leave IU in 10th place.  Actually 9th last season.  With a OAD draft pick to boot.

Don't forget how Beliein won at UM without OAD talent.  You also he left once a couple of his players left way to early

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Don't forget how Beliein won at UM without OAD talent.  You also he left once a couple of his players left way to early

True.  And talking about Belein.  Far from a OAD.  Andrew Dakich proved to be a very solid bench player for Michigan, during his time there.

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

But UVA, Villanova and UW has shown you can go far without the OAD talent

Depends on what we mean by 'chasing OAD's'? Was Tony Bennett chasing OAD's? No. But the core of his title team was stacked with highly rated talent.  

Kyle Guy: #37

Ty Jerome: #44

De'Andre Hunter: #91

Mamadi Diakite: #32

Those were their top 4 scorers, and outside of TJD, Guy, Jerome and Diakite would be the 3 highest rated players on the current IU roster. 

Villanova's 2018 title team: Spellman and Brunson would be the 2 highest rated recruits on the current IU roster. 

Omari Spellman: #20

Jalen Brunson: #22

Donte DiVincenzo: #124

Phil Booth: #75

Mikal Bridges: #81

I've said this back to the Crean years, for IU to be a consistent big ten title threat, the best way to achieve that is to consistently recruit in the 20-75 range. So no, not chasing OAD's, but chances you might have a few.

There's no reason with everything at IU's disposal, and the fertile recruiting grounds, that IU shouldn't have 2-3 guys a cycle in that 20-75 range, then you supplement with the other spot or two between the occasional Langford/Zeller, etc. and the Galloway's, Franklin's, Damezi Anderson's, Leal's, etc. 

Villanova's other title team had the top 7 scorers as:

Archidiacano: #57

Kris Jenkins: #76

Daniel Ochefu: #49

Josh Hart: #79

Brunson: #22

Booth: #75

Bridges: #81

Their top 7 were all top 100 recruits. It's definitely backloaded more towards the 50-80 range, but still that's not the 'little engine that could'. 

9 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Depends on what we mean by 'chasing OAD's'? Was Tony Bennett chasing OAD's? No. But the core of his title team was stacked with highly rated talent.  

Kyle Guy: #37

Ty Jerome: #44

De'Andre Hunter: #91

Mamadi Diakite: #32

Those were their top 4 scorers, and outside of TJD, Guy, Jerome and Diakite would be the 3 highest rated players on the current IU roster. 

Villanova's 2018 title team: Spellman and Brunson would be the 2 highest rated recruits on the current IU roster. 

Omari Spellman: #20

Jalen Brunson: #22

Donte DiVincenzo: #124

Phil Booth: #75

Mikal Bridges: #81

I've said this back to the Crean years, for IU to be a consistent big ten title threat, the best way to achieve that is to consistently recruit in the 20-75 range. So no, not chasing OAD's, but chances you might have a few.

There's no reason with everything at IU's disposal, and the fertile recruiting grounds, that IU shouldn't have 2-3 guys a cycle in that 20-75 range, then you supplement with the other spot or two between the occasional Langford/Zeller, etc. and the Galloway's, Franklin's, Damezi Anderson's, Leal's, etc. 

Never said you don't recruit highly ranked players but you don't go after guys who you know will definitely go after one year.  UNC has been great with getting guys ranked between 20-75 who stays for at least 3 years for the most part. 

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Never said you don't recruit highly ranked players but you don't go after guys who you know will definitely go after one year.  UNC has been great with getting guys ranked between 20-75 who stays for at least 3 years for the most part. 

Yeah, I think that is the best strategy. Unless there is a unique Langford case where it's a homegrown talent, the main targets should be in that 20-75 range. I do get a little worried though that we're more in the 100-150 range than in the 20-75 range. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, I think that is the best strategy. Unless there is a unique Langford case where it's a homegrown talent, the main targets should be in that 20-75 range. I do get a little worried though that we're more in the 100-150 range than in the 20-75 range. 

We are that way for 2020 but the 2021 class we are in on some top 75 players

We just need some talented freshman...but most importantly guys that take a step up each and every year. We need improvement. Rob was solid but he has to improve. Justin has to improve. Green has to be more mature. Al needs to be more consistent with his shot...we have to see growth! To me these 75-150 guys can do that every year for 4 years is much bigger impact than a OAD. We need to see these guys make a leap...Damezi too!

8 hours ago, IU Scott said:

They have been good with 20-75 players but UNC absolutely goes after one and dones. In the past few years Bradley, White and Little were UNC one and dones. They also went after OAD’s Romeo, Shittu, and Zion in 2018.  This year they have OAD Cole Anthony coming in and offered 4 of the top 5 2019 high school players (all considered OAD) including Anthony Edwards, Wisman and Carey. 

11 hours ago, IU878176 said:

They have been good with 20-75 players but UNC absolutely goes after one and dones. In the past few years Bradley, White and Little were UNC one and dones. They also went after OAD’s Romeo, Shittu, and Zion in 2018.  This year they have OAD Cole Anthony coming in and offered 4 of the top 5 2019 high school players (all considered OAD) including Anthony Edwards, Wisman and Carey. 

+1

I don't think UNC deliberately stacked its rosters with high 4 stars, but it was because they couldn't get as many 5 stars compared to Duke and UK. A few years ago Roy Williams complained about his inability to land top players due to the academic scandal, but still he had no problem landing players ranked 20-75. And accidentally, that gave him another championship; I don't think that was his intention to construct his rosters that way. He wants OADs. Maybe he learned something new along the way that he could actually win it all with bunch of 20-75 ranked juniors and seniors.

16 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

+1

I don't think UNC deliberately stacked its rosters with high 4 stars, but it was because they couldn't get as many 5 stars compared to Duke and UK. A few years ago Roy Williams complained about his inability to land top players due to the academic scandal, but still he had no problem landing players ranked 20-75. And accidentally, that gave him another championship; I don't think that was his intention to construct his rosters that way. He wants OADs. Maybe he learned something new along the way that he could actually win it all with bunch of 20-75 ranked juniors and seniors.

I think he has had only 4 or 5 OAD players while at UNC and two of them did not even start

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I think he has had only 4 or 5 OAD players while at UNC and two of them did not even start

These are the 5 star kids he brought in while at UNC. I'm sure many of them were projected as OADs out of high school, but not many of them panned out as such. Guess UNC's player development is not as good? Or simply UNC's rosters have been deep and Roy could give more playing time to upper classmen and didn't need to depend heavily on 5-star freshmen.  

2004: Marvin Williams

2005: Tyler Hansbrough

2006: Brandon Wright, Ty Lawson, Wayne Ellington

2008: Ed Davis, Tyler Zeller

2009: John Henson

2010: Harrison Barnes, Reggie Bullock

2011: James Michael McAdoo, PJ Hairston

2013: Isaiah Hicks

2014: Justin Jackson, Theo Pinson

2016: Tony Bradley

2018: Nassir Little, Coby White

2019: Cole Anthony

26 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

These are the 5 star kids he brought in while at UNC. I'm sure many of them were projected as OADs out of high school, but not many of them panned out as such. Guess UNC's player development is not as good? Or simply UNC's rosters have been deep and Roy could give more playing time to upper classmen and didn't need to depend heavily on 5-star freshmen.  

2004: Marvin Williams

2005: Tyler Hansbrough

2006: Brandon Wright, Ty Lawson, Wayne Ellington

2008: Ed Davis, Tyler Zeller

2009: John Henson

2010: Harrison Barnes, Reggie Bullock

2011: James Michael McAdoo, PJ Hairston

2013: Isaiah Hicks

2014: Justin Jackson, Theo Pinson

2016: Tony Bradley

2018: Nassir Little, Coby White

2019: Cole Anthony

It's a good list, but a lot of that pre-dates the current OAD era.  Also, hard to fault Roy for who he plays.  He's clearly figured out how to put a good team on the floor.

Last note:  Coby White was a relative unknown when Roy offered him.  Coby was already committed to UNC way before he started getting some attention.  I went to watch EYBL before his senior year.  I noticed the sleepy looking kid was by far the best on the floor, look him up and he was already committed to UNC.  At the time he was ranked somewhere in the 50s, but I see he was as low as 90s.  He finished ranked 25th in his class, but even still he was relatively unheralded.  I doubt you can find any mock drafts that had him going in 2019 before his freshman year at UNC.

As to the issue and Indiana...  We are all saying the same thing.  We want better players.  You need to walk the line of having players that excel in the college game, but not so good that they're scooped up by the NBA.  It's a tall order.  Those players in the 25-75 range have a better chance of meeting that standard.

Archived