Trey Galloway Commits to Indiana

2 hours ago, Moyeneeded said:

I fully expect Leal to come aboard, but have my doubts about Galloway. In his 'after offer' interview, he didn't seem too excited at the time.

Why would he be excited?? He has offers from MSU, Iowa, ND...big programs...getting an offer from IU isn’t what it used to be...this is just the latest good D1 offer he has received...now granted he might have wanted it and want to come here but this isn’t like a new thing for the kid. He has had big time attention before.

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, dgambill said:

Why would he be excited?? He has offers from MSU, Iowa, ND...big programs...getting an offer from IU isn’t what it used to be...this is just the latest good D1 offer he has received...now granted he might have wanted it and want to come here but this isn’t like a new thing for the kid. He has had big time attention before.

So an offer from Iowa carries as much prestige with an Indiana kid as one from IU??

4 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

So an offer from Iowa carries as much prestige with an Indiana kid as one from IU??

Iowa no way. Not sure ND is a big time basketball program either, football yes for sure, basketball not near the likes of IU, MSU, MU, etc in regards to basketball. 

3 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Iowa no way. Not sure ND is a big time basketball program either, football yes for sure, basketball not near the likes of IU, MSU, MU, etc in regards to basketball. 

Since Notre Dame joined the ACC six years ago, they’ve finished in the top 3 twice, made the Elite 8 twice, and won the conference tournament once.  I’d say that’s fairly big time.

4 hours ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Ok maybe not Iowa but then again they made the tourney and we didn’t. But ND and MSU for sure are incredible programs that would be just as attractive. If we are being objective it’s been before any of these kids were born since we in a final four....IU doesn’t hold the same clout it used to. We have to change that...and it has to be earned on the court and so far that hasn’t been happening. I hope Archie gets it going this year.

10 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Ok maybe not Iowa but then again they made the tourney and we didn’t. But ND and MSU for sure are incredible programs that would be just as attractive. If we are being objective it’s been before any of these kids were born since we in a final four....IU doesn’t hold the same clout it used to. We have to change that...and it has to be earned on the court and so far that hasn’t been happening. I hope Archie gets it going this year.

I hate that excuse about it's been before these kids were born since IU has been to the Final Four.  You know what a lot of teams haven't been to a Final Four since these kids were born, and some teams have never been, but yet they're still get talented kids to play for them.

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Your right, the results on the court will regain IU its cache 

Interesting that both ND and MSU are the programs being used in comparison here. Brey has been the HC at ND since 2000. Izzo has been HC at MSU since 1995. I can't help but believe that what has helped turn both of these schools into "incredible programs" is this long-term stability in the HC position. Now, compare those tenures to the turnstile that seems to exist at the doorway of the HC in Bloomington, and it's no wonder we suffer in comparison.

I don't agree with a lot of what IUScott posts, but his comments about the need for the program and the fan base to cool their jets and let Archie grow into his position sure makes a lot of sense to me.

1 hour ago, Madison22 said:

“The one thing I liked that (Miller) said was that Trey has the DNA that they’re looking for, that competitive grit, the will to win and the will to make plays for teammates,” Mark Galloway said.

Music to my ear! Hope we bring him in. 

49 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

“The one thing I liked that (Miller) said was that Trey has the DNA that they’re looking for, that competitive grit, the will to win and the will to make plays for teammates,” Mark Galloway said.

Music to my ear! Hope we bring him in. 

I hope that is not the only thing Archie said that they liked

1 hour ago, Cutter said:

I hope that is not the only thing Archie said that they liked

IMO, Galloway already has size, physicality, and developing skill sets that he can hone in at collegiate level. That should be the basic foundation, and without those aspects, he wouldn't be able to get high major D-1 offers. There are many players that come with good physical attributes and skills, but what really separates them is their mentality, the intangibles. I'm guessing Archie stressed that point to the Galloways. My 2 cents.

16 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

IMO, Galloway already has size, physicality, and developing skill sets that he can hone in at collegiate level. That should be the basic foundation, and without those aspects, he wouldn't be able to get high major D-1 offers. There are many players that come with good physical attributes and skills, but what really separates them is their mentality, the intangibles. I'm guessing Archie stressed that point to the Galloways. My 2 cents.

I didn’t make myself clear. I have been all about Leal and Galloway being Hoosiers while most were slobbering over Morton. I still don’t get the love fest for Morton. I was hoping that Archie made a larger impression on the Galloway family than just the dna content. I for one think that we can’t do any better than Leal and Galloway. I do feel they are very important for the long term health of the program. Just my opinion 

42 minutes ago, Cutter said:

I didn’t make myself clear. I have been all about Leal and Galloway being Hoosiers while most were slobbering over Morton. I still don’t get the love fest for Morton. I was hoping that Archie made a larger impression on the Galloway family than just the dna content. I for one think that we can’t do any better than Leal and Galloway. I do feel they are very important for the long term health of the program. Just my opinion 

Can you elaborate on the Morton comment?

41 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Can you elaborate on the Morton comment?

Yes it has nothing with him going to Purdue as you may have been hoping for a point of contention. Before Morton commitment I was and still am a believer that Leal and Galloway are much more important and better players for the IU basketball program. This is an IU basketball forum.

1 minute ago, Cutter said:

Yes it has nothing with him going to Purdue as you may have been hoping for a point of contention. Before Morton commitment I was and still am a believer that Leal and Galloway are much more important and better players for the IU basketball program. This is an IU basketball forum.

I understand that. I’m saying why do you feel that Leal/Galloway are better for IU than Morton? Take Purdue out of the equation. 

8 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I understand that. I’m saying why do you feel that Leal/Galloway are better for IU than Morton? Take Purdue out of the equation. 

I am a Hoosier homer. I really think building the program from from the in state talent that have the intangibles that these two players seem to have is very important. I also feel getting local players in this talent range is a much more sustainable approach than to try and build a roster with so called 5 star kids. Nothing wrong with adding out of state players I just feel IU is better with prioritizing the in state talent. Of course there are historic examples to argue against my thoughts I do believe times have changed enough to take this approach 

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Goes back to he inside-out recruiting philosophy.  Ethan Morton is a composite #60 at the moment.  Anthony Leal is a composite #88 and Galloway is #126.  IMO, there is not enough difference in ranking between Leal and Morton to get really excited about having Morton.  I can't say I understand Archie prioritizing him over Leal for as long as he did.  (At least it appears he prioritized Morton.)  Morton could easily end up playing better or worse than his ranking and so could Leal and Galloway.  All three were ranked higher than Victor Oladipo and O.G. Anunoby, so taking composite rankings as a guide only, Morton, Leal and Galloway could easily overlap in effectiveness.  I hate losing recruiting battles to the Toiletmakers, but if Leal and/or Galloway end up at IU, I'm not at all convinced Morton will be missed.  Link for composite rankings:

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Basketball/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool

10 minutes ago, Cutter said:

I am a Hoosier homer. I really think building the program from from the in state talent that have the intangibles that these two players seem to have is very important. I also feel getting local players in this talent range is a much more sustainable approach than to try and build a roster with so called 5 star kids. Nothing wrong with adding out of state players I just feel IU is better with prioritizing the in state talent. Of course there are historic examples to argue against my thoughts I do believe times have changed enough to take this approach 

Fair enough!

38 minutes ago, Cutter said:

I don’t think he was hoping for a point of contention I actually find STLboiler to be a very respectable member of this board and he has said before how much this is one of the best boards out there. Just because he is a Purdue fan doesn’t mean we can’t/shouldn’t respect him. P.s. STLboiler. LGB!!!!

3 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I don’t think he was hoping for a point of contention I actually find STLboiler to be a very respectable member of this board and he has said before how much this is one of the best boards out there. Just because he is a Purdue fan doesn’t mean we can’t/shouldn’t respect him. P.s. STLboiler. LGB!!!!

I don’t think I disrespected him I was stated what I see as facts, right or wrong 

Archived