Trey Galloway Commits to Indiana

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I'm liking this recruit more and more...

Me too. However with Armaan already in the fold...I’m thinking only 1 of him and Leal will commit. I know I know theoretically we might go 3 guard lineup etc but are we realistically going to have 3 6’4 shooting guards from back to back classes? I still get the feeling we take one of the two and then turn our attention to a back up PG or at least CG and then to a big. I would be surprised we take more than 1 with how strong the 2021 class is.

12 hours ago, dgambill said:

Me too. However with Armaan already in the fold...I’m thinking only 1 of him and Leal will commit. I know I know theoretically we might go 3 guard lineup etc but are we realistically going to have 3 6’4 shooting guards from back to back classes? I still get the feeling we take one of the two and then turn our attention to a back up PG or at least CG and then to a big. I would be surprised we take more than 1 with how strong the 2021 class is.

I'd take both.  You could definitely play with two of the three on the floor...Armaan, Leal, and Galloway.  We have four scholarships available, and after last year's season, I really don't think we're in a position to be too selective.  Load up on guys like this, and maybe a difference maker emerges later on...or perhaps in 2021.   

4 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

Trey was fabulous this weekend. Had a chance to catch him and quite a few other kids. Now that his wrist is good to go, he just looked like a player that played with a lot more confidence and belief. And had two pretty special dunks. Fun to watch his progress. Wonderful player. 

IU has a lot of work ahead of them though... Some bigger names have started making contact. 

I know Kaufman just came back from a broken wrist.  Did not realize Galloway had a wrist problem  as well.

1 hour ago, Blazin Hazin said:

I'd take both.  You could definitely play with two of the three on the floor...Armaan, Leal, and Galloway.  We have four scholarships available, and after last year's season, I really don't think we're in a position to be too selective.  Load up on guys like this, and maybe a difference maker emerges later on...or perhaps in 2021.   

I know “WE” might want both but will the kids see enough immediate playing time to want to sign up for us. Technically they will be behind Durham and likely Armaan...I can see one saying sure I can get some spot minutes here and there until Durham is gone....but two of them?? Hard time seeing how they both get the minutes as freshman. Sure things might open up slightly with Durham graduating but then again 2021 class will likely have good recruits and do we want to clog things up for them? I’m predicting only one signs (like Franklin/Newman). My bet would be on Leal.

33 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I know “WE” might want both but will the kids see enough immediate playing time to want to sign up for us. Technically they will be behind Durham and likely Armaan...I can see one saying sure I can get some spot minutes here and there until Durham is gone....but two of them?? Hard time seeing how they both get the minutes as freshman. Sure things might open up slightly with Durham graduating but then again 2021 class will likely have good recruits and do we want to clog things up for them? I’m predicting only one signs (like Franklin/Newman). My bet would be on Leal.

I agree with you to a point but this is where I don’t. These guys are highly competitive athletes that have to have a lot of self-confidence or they wouldn’t be who they are nor will they make it at the next level. If every kid who’s a 3-4 star automatically assumed they’ll sit behind the other 3-4 stars in the grades above them then they don’t have the moxy they need. Now within reason I say this. But it isn’t an automatic that most kids assume they don’t have a shot at beating people out of positions. 

4 hours ago, IndySportsPartizan said:

I know Trey is listed as a 2, but I see him more as a 3. 

They are similar size with somewhat similar game. Both can push the break by getting out ahead or pushing the ball up as well. I just see Trey with slightly more of a Will Sheehey/Troy Williams type of all around skillset. So I see him more as a 3/wing with some guard skills as well. 

8 minutes ago, IndySportsPartizan said:

They are similar size with somewhat similar game. Both can push the break by getting out ahead or pushing the ball up as well. I just see Trey with slightly more of a Will Sheehey/Troy Williams type of all around skillset. So I see him more as a 3/wing with some guard skills as well. 

Theres virtually no difference between a 2 and 3 in anyones offense. 

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

This. You're either a guard, a wing or a big, and even then in many cases the lines are blurring considerably. Galloway and Leal would be wings, if I'm not mistaken? 

4 hours ago, BGleas said:

This. You're either a guard, a wing or a big, and even then in many cases the lines are blurring considerably. Galloway and Leal would be wings, if I'm not mistaken? 

I think we're getting to the point where you're either a wing or a big. Of course still have true points, but man it's getting to the point where positionless really means just that.

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I think we're getting to the point where you're either a wing or a big. Of course still have true points, but man it's getting to the point where positionless really means just that.

Yes guards would be primary ball handlers (pgs and combo guards), wings would play on the perimeter and may be shooters or slashers (shooting guards, sfs, and even stretch 4s). Then you have your bigs/bangers. (4s and 5s...might hit a jumper but mostly get their work done in the paint). I’d say right now Galloway and Leal will play on the wing...I have heard that Armaan might be able to play on the ball some so time will tell if he can be a strong enough ball handler but for now I still see him as a wing. Add in Al, Hunter, and Damezi and possibly Cross and it isn’t about beating guys out but just only so many minutes right away and most 4* kids want assured playing time right away.

3 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I'd go one step further and say there's "big" and "not a big", with "not only a big" muddled in between.  Examples: Big-Andre Drummond, Not Only A Big-Brook Lopez, Not A Big-Steph Curry. 

11 hours ago, CoachSS said:

Trey was fabulous this weekend. Had a chance to catch him and quite a few other kids. Now that his wrist is good to go, he just looked like a player that played with a lot more confidence and belief. And had two pretty special dunks. Fun to watch his progress. Wonderful player. 

IU has a lot of work ahead of them though... Some bigger names have started making contact. 

Do you know if he’s high on IU? Or are we just another school to him? 

17 hours ago, btownqb said:

I was using 2 vs 3 in the conceptualization of their game. 

Leal looks for a shot more. Even when he dribbles, a lot of the time he is dribbling to get space so he can get his shot off. He has really improved in that sense that he can create space with his dribble and take it to the rim or shoot, but more often than not he is shooting a jumpshot with it. 

Galloway, when he dribbles, its a little more in a wing/3 sense. He wants to get to the hoop. 

Its not a perfect explanation and its really splitting hairs, despite having similar games their "meta-games" have some important differences. Which is great because it allows them to play together at the same time very well. 

15 minutes ago, IndySportsPartizan said:

I was using 2 vs 3 in the conceptualization of their game. 

Leal looks for a shot more. Even when he dribbles, a lot of the time he is dribbling to get space so he can get his shot off. He has really improved in that sense that he can create space with his dribble and take it to the rim or shoot, but more often than not he is shooting a jumpshot with it. 

Galloway, when he dribbles, its a little more in a wing/3 sense. He wants to get to the hoop. 

Its not a perfect explanation and its really splitting hairs, despite having similar games their "meta-games" have some important differences. Which is great because it allows them to play together at the same time very well. 

That makes sense in terms of strengths and player focus. A shooter that can drive, versus a driver that can shoot.

Archived