Trey Galloway Commits to Indiana

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Last season was bad by any measure.  So you have the hangover from that.  Spring recruiting was very mediocre.  Yes, we added Brunk and I think that is a good pickup but we missed on every single other guy we went after in the spring.  There is no buzz around the team right now at all.  I have seen articles from the AD saying we are in a big rebuild.  Saw another one about ROI for the basketball program and we were in the bottom 10 for the past 10 years.

On recruiting, there is no buzz right now (or has not been lately)...just has felt like a funk up to this point.  I think the most rational expectation of next year's team right now is a bubble type of team.  It just feels like a blah summer, I would love to get a recruiting win to have something to get excited about.

You're not wrong on some of those things, but just my perspective is that is a very glass half (or fully) empty way to look at it. Brunk was a big get IMO, and I've said this before but TJD might be the least hyped McDonald's All-American that IU has ever had, at least in the modern era. People are almost just glossing over the fact that we have a 6'10" burger boy, with NBA pedigree, joining IU. 

I'm not arguing that the program is rolling right now, not by any means, but I think you're painting things in the most dire brush. Many of the things you posted are true, but to balance things, as mentioned we added Brunk, added a McDonald's All-American, will finally have a healthy De'Ron Davis with a full offseason of work under his belt, have a potential stud point guard returning for his sophomore year, Race Thompson will be healthy, and IU seems really close on Cross, Galloway and Leal for 2020. 

I don't pay any attention to the AD comments. That really has nothing to do with how the program is really doing and I see no need to get worked up about it. Clearly the big question marks right now are whether or not Hunter will be healthy (that's the big one), how much, if at all, the perimeter shooting will improve, and who will be the go-to guys next season. Will IU have an alpha player that can score when things bog down?

As far as recruiting in the Spring, yes it is disappointing that IU didn't add any impact '19 player or another grad transfer, but I also think it's a little off to say we "missed on every single other guy", as I'm not sure how hard Archie was really even trying to fill those spots. I think he tried with Quinoes and probably the kid that went to UNC, but after that I'm not sure he was desperately looking to fill those spots. 

I do agree that we're probably projected as a bubble team right now, but all this momentum stuff flips real fast if we get news that Hunter is cleared, some group of Cross/Galloway/Leal commit, and then IU turns out to be one of the 'surprise' teams next season. All of those things are entirely possible. 

19 minutes ago, BGleas said:

You're not wrong on some of those things, but just my perspective is that is a very glass half (or fully) empty way to look at it. Brunk was a big get IMO, and I've said this before but TJD might be the least hyped McDonald's All-American that IU has ever had, at least in the modern era. People are almost just glossing over the fact that we have a 6'10" burger boy, with NBA pedigree, joining IU. 

I'm not arguing that the program is rolling right now, not by any means, but I think you're painting things in the most dire brush. Many of the things you posted are true, but to balance things, as mentioned we added Brunk, added a McDonald's All-American, will finally have a healthy De'Ron Davis with a full offseason of work under his belt, have a potential stud point guard returning for his sophomore year, Race Thompson will be healthy, and IU seems really close on Cross, Galloway and Leal for 2020. 

I don't pay any attention to the AD comments. That really has nothing to do with how the program is really doing and I see no need to get worked up about it. Clearly the big question marks right now are whether or not Hunter will be healthy (that's the big one), how much, if at all, the perimeter shooting will improve, and who will be the go-to guys next season. Will IU have an alpha player that can score when things bog down?

As far as recruiting in the Spring, yes it is disappointing that IU didn't add any impact '19 player or another grad transfer, but I also think it's a little off to say we "missed on every single other guy", as I'm not sure how hard Archie was really even trying to fill those spots. I think he tried with Quinoes and probably the kid that went to UNC, but after that I'm not sure he was desperately looking to fill those spots. 

I do agree that we're probably projected as a bubble team right now, but all this momentum stuff flips real fast if we get news that Hunter is cleared, some group of Cross/Galloway/Leal commit, and then IU turns out to be one of the 'surprise' teams next season. All of those things are entirely possible. 

No disagreement on the majority of that.  I think, if I wanted to put a positive spin on things, that if we can make the tournament and see some development in the team in 2019-2020, that the 2020-2021 season could be the "turn around" year.

Why?  Because I think that a Jr. Phinisee should be really good at PG.  I would expect Hunter, if he can play next year, to be around for a RS Sophomore campaign.  Brunk and TJD would be a very solid 4 and 5 and then all we are looking to do is find a dynamic SG...whether that person already is on the roster or not.

Much of that depends on what happens this year though.  I think this year is pivotal because we may be set for Miller's 4th year but you need to keep bringing a pipeline of players behind that.  This was ultimately Crean's downfall.  He did not consistently recruit well enough to fill in behind his breakout squad.  I think a year that looks like the ship is turning positive will help solidify Miller's position and help the recruiting following it.  Another bad year starts to hurt in keeping a pipeline coming in IMO.

But I still think this offseason has been a bit of a bummer either way.

16 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

No disagreement on the majority of that.  I think, if I wanted to put a positive spin on things, that if we can make the tournament and see some development in the team in 2019-2020, that the 2020-2021 season could be the "turn around" year.

Why?  Because I think that a Jr. Phinisee should be really good at PG.  I would expect Hunter, if he can play next year, to be around for a RS Sophomore campaign.  Brunk and TJD would be a very solid 4 and 5 and then all we are looking to do is find a dynamic SG...whether that person already is on the roster or not.

Much of that depends on what happens this year though.  I think this year is pivotal because we may be set for Miller's 4th year but you need to keep bringing a pipeline of players behind that.  This was ultimately Crean's downfall.  He did not consistently recruit well enough to fill in behind his breakout squad.  I think a year that looks like the ship is turning positive will help solidify Miller's position and help the recruiting following it.  Another bad year starts to hurt in keeping a pipeline coming in IMO.

But I still think this offseason has been a bit of a bummer either way.

A bit of a bummer is a lot different than 'sucked worse than usual', so I'll take that 😀!

I think you're post here is pretty spot on. Let's not frame it in 'what does Archie need to do to keep his job', let's frame it as what needs to happen this season to get all the fans back onboard and get the momentum rolling towards returning IU to where we all want/expect. So what needs to happen?

At the most basic level, IU needs to make the tournament. That means some combination or ideally all of these things needs to happen, Phinisee needs to be the real deal at pg, Hunter needs to be 100%, full go, TJD needs to make a real impact, Green and Davis need to be healthy and play like seniors, Brunk needs to be that leader and energy guy that can galvanize the locker room and fans, then some group of Anderson, Franklin and Race Thompson need to be consistent contributors.  

As you said, if those things happen and then you have the core of that team mostly all returning and you add a few pieces in the 2020 class, then 2020-21 could be a big year. But man, Archie will save himself a ton of headaches if everyone stays healthy this year and he can get the pieces to come together to be the surprise Big Ten team in 2019-20. It would really go a long way everyone. 

51 minutes ago, BGleas said:

A bit of a bummer is a lot different than 'sucked worse than usual', so I'll take that 😀!

I think you're post here is pretty spot on. Let's not frame it in 'what does Archie need to do to keep his job', let's frame it as what needs to happen this season to get all the fans back onboard and get the momentum rolling towards returning IU to where we all want/expect. So what needs to happen?

At the most basic level, IU needs to make the tournament. That means some combination or ideally all of these things needs to happen, Phinisee needs to be the real deal at pg, Hunter needs to be 100%, full go, TJD needs to make a real impact, Green and Davis need to be healthy and play like seniors, Brunk needs to be that leader and energy guy that can galvanize the locker room and fans, then some group of Anderson, Franklin and Race Thompson need to be consistent contributors.  

As you said, if those things happen and then you have the core of that team mostly all returning and you add a few pieces in the 2020 class, then 2020-21 could be a big year. But man, Archie will save himself a ton of headaches if everyone stays healthy this year and he can get the pieces to come together to be the surprise Big Ten team in 2019-20. It would really go a long way everyone. 

I think everyone is living in an internet world these days, so when they don't get "good news" every/day/week/month or after refreshing the page, somehow things are going poorly. Just because it's boring right now, doesn't mean things are bad. Nobody's been arrested or hit by a car or caught drinking and driving, so I think it's been an ok summer. I also bet we get a couple of these guys we've been going after. I kinda of like it when expectations are low in the Big Ten, it takes some of the pressure off the team (which I think will help). Last year sucked bad for many reasons. I don't think we'll see a repeat of that. 

1 hour ago, OGIUAndy said:

I think everyone is living in an internet world these days, so when they don't get "good news" every/day/week/month or after refreshing the page, somehow things are going poorly. Just because it's boring right now, doesn't mean things are bad. Nobody's been arrested or hit by a car or caught drinking and driving, so I think it's been an ok summer. I also bet we get a couple of these guys we've been going after. I kinda of like it when expectations are low in the Big Ten, it takes some of the pressure off the team (which I think will help). Last year sucked bad for many reasons. I don't think we'll see a repeat of that. 

I'm only speaking for myself. Since the invention of the internet world we've been to 2 Final 4's. Just think some of us are out of gas sometimes. Missing on several Spring targets with ample playing time available on the back of last season. Some of us just are tired of the noise. Was having lunch with my aunt earlier today. In her 70's. Her question was this. Do you think we'll get this thing turned around before I die. My answer to her was I don't know. It's been 17 years since our last F4. I told her to lay off the sugars and bad foods just in case she needs to make it to 90.

4 hours ago, BGleas said:

With Davis, Brunk, TJD and Race, I'm curious how this affects Justin Smith.  It seems he should be freed up to play at the 3,  his more natural position. I hope he is more comfortable at this position and has a good year.

4 minutes ago, Lurker said:

With Davis, Brunk, TJD and Race, I'm curious how this affects Justin Smith.  It seems he should be freed up to play at the 3,  his more natural position. I hope he is more comfortable at this position and has a good year.

I gotta disagree with you on the 3 being Smith's more natural position. He hasn't shown any ability, at least not yet, to play on the wing, and that's what the 3 is, basically a wing position. So either Smith improves his handles, shooting, passing and ability to create in a major way this offseason, or there is going to be a pretty interesting logjam at the forward/center positions. 

8 hours ago, Lurker said:

Smith has shown zero ability to play the 3. 

1 hour ago, rico said:

A  6-5 #2 guard with a high basketball IQ.  

Just adding to that, a coach's son, intense player with a bit of an edge, high motor and good athlete, strong defender.  More of an intangibles guy early in career, needs to develop consistent jump shot and better off hand off the dribble.  A program guy that will be around 4 years and be a torchbearer for the culture.

2 hours ago, rico said:

A  6-5 #2 guard with a high basketball IQ.  

22 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Just adding to that, a coach's son, intense player with a bit of an edge, high motor and good athlete, strong defender.  More of an intangibles guy early in career, needs to develop consistent jump shot and better off hand off the dribble.  A program guy that will be around 4 years and be a torchbearer for the culture.

Thanks for the info above!  Very helpful. 

On 7/10/2019 at 4:16 PM, Lurker said:

Wish that was true but imo Smith will likely be our starting 4 again this year. He just doesn’t have the ball handling or shooting to play on the perimeter. That said he is our most athletic defender. I think he starts early in the season and if he doesn’t improve over last year we see Trayce quickly see time at the 4. I anticipate Brunk and Davis at the 5. I don’t see much from Race. He showed no offensive ability last year....heck he didn’t even look at the goal. He played hard on defense but he was very raw and saw such little time he is basically still a freshman to me because of all his injuries. The 3 should be Hunter and Damezi with some 3 guard lineups as well.

Agree with dgambill. Race really wasnt up to speed yet. He did guard effectively 1-on-1. But we need to be a better team, with each of the 5 guys on the floor contributing. Ideally we'll have some big leads and Race can get plenty of playing time.

I dont love that Justin Smith is vying for PT with another in-state 5*. He doesnt seem to play nice with others. I hope the other guys wont let him get away with causing trouble. 

Galloway? Bring him on! I'm going to try to catch as many of his games as possible this year. 

11 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

Agree with dgambill. Race really wasnt up to speed yet. He did guard effectively 1-on-1. But we need to be a better team, with each of the 5 guys on the floor contributing. Ideally we'll have some big leads and Race can get plenty of playing time.

I dont love that Justin Smith is vying for PT with another in-state 5*. He doesnt seem to play nice with others. I hope the other guys wont let him get away with causing trouble. 

Galloway? Bring him on! I'm going to try to catch as many of his games as possible this year. 

Quite a few of Trey's game were on channel 46(WHME) out of South Bend last year.  

13 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Maybe something maybe not. Zach Osterman tweeted out yesterday that Kansas told Trey they would be watching him in July and they did yesterday. Maybe that's been part of the delay??

I really don't think there is any delay.  Galloway has never said that he would be committing this early.  Kansas has been in contact with him for a couple months, along with other blue blood names.  There has been skepticism regarding how serious those schools are.  If Kansas follows up and starts recruiting him hard, then it will be noteworthy.

16 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Maybe something maybe not. Zach Osterman tweeted out yesterday that Kansas told Trey they would be watching him in July and they did yesterday. Maybe that's been part of the delay??

What's their recruiting pitch?

"Trey, we would be really interested in you becoming a Jayhawk so we can recruit over you for the next 4 years."

Trey is a solid player.  But, he does not belong in a one and done environment.

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

What's their recruiting pitch?

"Trey, we would be really interested in you becoming a Jayhawk so we can recruit over you for the next 4 years."

Trey is a solid player.  But, he does not belong in a one and done environment.

Agree all day. That's why it seemed odd to me that it was something relayed to a reporter via the recruit. Reminds of when Jordan Tucker chose Duke's bench instead of us. Some kids just don't belong at some of these OAD factories. 

40 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Reminds of when Jordan Tucker chose Duke's bench instead of us

Totally correct.  Then he transferred to Butler.  From the Indy Star:

At Duke, Tucker played 14 minutes in two games and totaled six points. 

Before, he had always been The Man.  At Duke, he was nobody. 

"It was a long four months," he said.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/butler/2018/12/13/duke-transfer-jordan-tucker-make-butler-basketball-debut-vs-iu/2282117002/

Archived