Tre Coleman Commits to Nevada

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
2 hours ago, btownqb said:

Hearing Luce (Jeff HC) will be fired as early as tomorrow. 

Really?...I know a lot of people wasn't fans of him down here but this seems crazy....Jeff has a team that can contend for a title this year...next coach would be the 6th in the last 13 years...I love Jeff basketball just as much as I love IU basketball 

I get that sometimes administrators need to step in on coaches and there are legit reasons why but often they need to just make sure the coach is following the rules and get out of the way and let them run their program. Sorry just a touchy spot for me as a FORMER HS coach of 16 years in another sport.

1 hour ago, BADGERVOL said:

I get that sometimes administrators need to step in on coaches and there are legit reasons why but often they need to just make sure the coach is following the rules and get out of the way and let them run their program. Sorry just a touchy spot for me as a FORMER HS coach of 16 years in another sport.

Did you stop coaching?

I agree on admins staying out except in cases of rule breaking. I heard something along those lines (admin wanting too much control) happened at my HS recently  and it bothered me. They lost a good coach because of it. 

2 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

That doesn't apply here. 

1 hour ago, BeerBQ said:

Did you stop coaching?

I agree on admins staying out except in cases of rule breaking. I heard something along those lines (admin wanting too much control) happened at my HS recently  and it bothered me. They lost a good coach because of it. 

Hung it up. A pair of athletes who were very talented decided they didn’t like me anymore and would do everything subtle to undercut the program along with their parents. Admin basically kept saying “the parents are bad apples but kids just reflecting the parents so they can’t be kicked.” Hung on for two years and by the time I hung it up the entire program is screwed up now. Now the mindset is if you don’t get everything you want just be a jerk everyday until the coach leaves. TONS of parents are pissed but I’m not going to coach with two sets of rules one for those two and one for everyone else. Sad because I’m known in town as being the only coach who knows a healthy balance of teaching character and work ethic but also being hardcore and successful and the feedback I’ve gotten for 16 years from families is tops among all coaches at the HS in that span. But it’ll my philosophy can’t work this way so I walked away just as my son who runs (it’s XC and attack) was a freshman. He understands tho. It’s just so sad.

Hmm...unless there are violations or something serious between coach/athlete I don’t know why admin would want to get in the way of success. There aren’t too many revenue generating programs and if a coach has success why take a chance and ruin it. Schedule the games he asks and get out of the way. Too much politics in local schools. Sad.

8 hours ago, dgambill said:

Hmm...unless there are violations or something serious between coach/athlete I don’t know why admin would want to get in the way of success. There aren’t too many revenue generating programs and if a coach has success why take a chance and ruin it. Schedule the games he asks and get out of the way. Too much politics in local schools. Sad.

The admin isnt in the wrong here. 

Archived