Transferring My Support To This Team?

To be fair, I was a diehard UK fan up until about 14 years old. Melvin Turpin was my favorite player and I remember crying as a kid when UK got beat by UofL in the original dream game in ‘83.  Then, my Mom married a Hoosier fan and I started going to Bobby Knight’s basketball camp. Mostly let by Dan Dakich. We got to tour all the facilities and I was hooked. That was when Jay Edwards was playing. He was my favorite at the time.  My all time favorite is still Calbert.  I do think this guy is a troll, but it is possible to change. I have always lived in KY and never in IN.  It is nice living right outside Louisville because I always have the UofL fans cheering us on when we play UK and UK fans cheering us when we play UofL.  I can’t stand either of them though. 

10 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Guys.  I think we should require more evidence before we label someone a troll.  We all had to post the first time on the board.  The fact is that there are UK fans who are tiring of the Calipari way.  I'm not sure whether this guy is serious or not, but there was a better way to receive him than automatically labeling him a troll.  If he is truly a troll, then it would come out in the end and would be taken care of by the mods.  On the flip side, if he's not a troll, then we showed him our bad side, which is unfortunate.

One message to the OP.  If you want to be taken more seriously as you continue your quest to find another team, look no further than your screen name.  There is little hope to be taken seriously when your screen name still seems to pledge allegiance to the team you are wanting to leave.  There are billions of neutral screen names that are available for someone looking for a team to root for.

And yet one of our Mods has Bluegrass in it, Hmmm......

55 minutes ago, moneyman40 said:

To be fair, I was a diehard UK fan up until about 14 years old. Melvin Turpin was my favorite player and I remember crying as a kid when UK got beat by UofL in the original dream game in ‘83.  Then, my Mom married a Hoosier fan and I started going to Bobby Knight’s basketball camp. Mostly let by Dan Dakich. We got to tour all the facilities and I was hooked. That was when Jay Edwards was playing. He was my favorite at the time.  My all time favorite is still Calbert.  I do think this guy is a troll, but it is possible to change. I have always lived in KY and never in IN.  It is nice living right outside Louisville because I always have the UofL fans cheering us on when we play UK and UK fans cheering us when we play UofL.  I can’t stand either of them though. 

Welcome, welcome MM.  You joined our site in August of last year. And it took another former UK fan to bring you out.  Thanks for that.  As I said.  It only takes time to find if one is a troll or not. My history of over 10 years as an IU moderator tells me so.  Now, I have been elevated to even an high honor.   Still waiting on posts from WC.  But, golly. It's great to hear from you. And your story. Not sure if we will be hearing from WC again, However I   hope to hear much more from you. 

34 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Mu great aunt lives in Louisville for going on 60 years now and is a rabid die hard UK fan.  Her son, my 2nd cousin, graduated from UK.  She loves Romeo and will be cheering him on at IU.  She said, I don't like his hair, he looked cuter when it wasn't dyed.  

My Aunt was born and raised in Kentucky.  She has spent 50+ years here living in Northern Indiana.  My Uncle(RIP) was an IU grad and rabid IU fan.  But my Aunt never wavered from UK.  Ahhhh the memories of those two getting into arguments, not talking to each other for weeks!  Priceless.  Uncle Max has been gone for a few years now, but my Aunt survives and is still a big 'Cat fan.  She stopped over the other day sporting a UK sweater.  I about puked.  Did I mention that I hate Kentucky?

This thread makes me remember my concern about what I would do if IU hired Calipari (before fUK did). I certainly wouldn't have became an fUK or Turdue fan, and I'm sure IU would have been successful on the court, but I just can't see me being supportive of him as a coach. I guess I would try to root for IU, but not him, and always have the fear that any moment the success could be wiped away by the NCAA and our program being left in shambles and dealing with opposing fan bases calling us cheater. So glad it didn't come to pass, Sampson was bad enough...

38 minutes ago, cybergates said:

This thread makes me remember my concern about what I would do if IU hired Calipari (before fUK did). I certainly wouldn't have became an fUK or Turdue fan, and I'm sure IU would have been successful on the court, but I just can't see me being supportive of him as a coach. I guess I would try to root for IU, but not him, and always have the fear that any moment the success could be wiped away by the NCAA and our program being left in shambles and dealing with opposing fan bases calling us cheater. So glad it didn't come to pass, Sampson was bad enough...

Let me see......Adolph Rupp, Joe B. Hall, Eddie Sutton, Rick Pittino, John Calipari.  All crooked........in my lifetime.

If I were to move to another part of the country, I could easily see myself becoming a fan of a program in that area, without giving up my allegiance to IU.  For example, if I moved to Southwestern Montana, I would likely become a Montana State fan.  Among other things, it would make life out their more enjoyable.  Going to games, media coverage, talking sports with co-workers, etc. are part of the sports experience.

To me, it seems silly to only support a single team if that team is not your local university.  In that scenario, if the two teams played each other, IU would still get me full support,  

1 hour ago, cybergates said:

Sampson was the closest IU has had to hiring that kind of coach. 

I was one who thought the NCAA focus, and ludicrous 5 major infraction determinations, was just that, ludicrous, as all of it boiled down to phone calls, "phonegate," and primarily contacts that as I recall were acceptable under NCAA rules the very next year. It all stemmed from Sampson leaving Okla when the NCAA was taking action against his program, at Okla, and the NCAA officials involved who felt he had escaped. They were thrilled when IU did the right thing and self-reported, so they could then throw down the hammer on what was patently trivial.

But all of that said, what Sampson did at IU, particularly in the players he recruited with no regard for academics, the drug culture he permitted to develop, and the complete lack of accountability for grades, was a huge problem and while he and the idiocy of the NCAA effectively ruined the basketball program for multiple years, getting rid of him was absolutely the right call, irrespective of the sanctions issues.

Let's say IU had not self-reported and we continued on under Sampson. We very well might have another NC. He was/is an extremely good x's and o's coach, and he would have continued to bring in top flight talent, academics aside. I want no part of that kind of program. UNC can have its NC, with the stain of its decade-plus fake classes. Louisville can have its NC, with its strippers and other extreme violations. When we win, we'll win the "right way" -- yes, that matters a great deal, at least to me.

And I think CAM will be the guy that gets us there. It's been a long time trying to get fully back on track as a top basketball program. I think we're getting there. I'm not getting any younger in the process, but the reward is coming.

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

If I were to move to another part of the country, I could easily see myself becoming a fan of a program in that area, without giving up my allegiance to IU.  For example, if I moved to Southwestern Montana, I would likely become a Montana State fan.  Among other things, it would make life out their more enjoyable.  Going to games, media coverage, talking sports with co-workers, etc. are part of the sports experience.

To me, it seems silly to only support a single team if that team is not your local university.  In that scenario, if the two teams played each other, IU would still get me full support,  

No ex-wives in Montana? 

I do not understand the troll thing.  We have had guys on here with Hoosier or something like that in their names, pretending to be IU fans, all the while being Kentucky or Purdue or whatever fans, as they sit here and bash everything IU.  Who has that kind of time?  Is that really the best use of your resources as a human?

Agree with HH on Sampson. 

Hopefully, we never have any violations of significance again.  IU in my lifetime has prided itself on high minded ethics.  I don't want to lose that.  But, I will say, despite our best efforts, if we come across a minor infraction like the phone call scandal again, you fight it.  You don't lay down like sheep anymore.  We had to sit here and absorb two years of basketball where we didn't have a chance, all over stupidity.

As for Sampson, as HH put it so nicely, his basketball philosophy is actually solid.  But, the high percentage of kids who we don't want representing IU was the deal breaker.  Gordon was a great kid.  And I could see a mistake like the Bassett kid from Terre Haute.  But, it was way beyond that.  It's like Sampson did not even consider the "makeup" or character of his recruits, and we can't have that.  And if you have a Bassett, then you try to reach him as an educator.  Sampson was a zero on all that and brought shame to IU with the kids he brought in (not all; but too many).

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Agree with HH on Sampson. 

Hopefully, we never have any violations of significance again.  IU in my lifetime has prided itself on high minded ethics.  I don't want to lose that.  But, I will say, despite our best efforts, if we come across a minor infraction like the phone call scandal again, you fight it.  You don't lay down like sheep anymore.  We had to sit here and absorb two years of basketball where we didn't have a chance, all over stupidity.

As for Sampson, as HH put it so nicely, his basketball philosophy is actually solid.  But, the high percentage of kids who we don't want representing IU was the deal breaker.  Gordon was a great kid.  And I could see a mistake like the Bassett kid from Terre Haute.  But, it was way beyond that.  It's like Sampson did not even consider the "makeup" or character of his recruits, and we can't have that.  And if you have a Bassett, then you try to reach him as an educator.  Sampson was a zero on all that and brought shame to IU with the kids he brought in (not all; but too many).

I find the reference to lying down like sheep particularly relevant, in light of the Fouls discussion.

Archived