IU hosts Marquette in 2018-19

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Welcome to posting here Marq fan.

We're always up for good fan discussion from other teams and opponents, just bear in mind you'll probably have to deal a little with posts about the perceived relevance of your program, etc., kind of goes with the territory on a team's message board -- that said, we like to keep it civil here, plenty of room for discussion without a lack of civility!

IU has been up and down, with a fair amount of down since our last Finals appearance in 01, and the recovery from the Knight firing has been a long one, exacerbated by what our program went through with the NCAA investigation of Sampson and his firing. That said, and I say this with all respect, no one outside Marquette would put IU and Marquette in the same category of basketball programs. The program went through plenty of up and down under Crean, something you can probably relate to.

We are a blue blood that has been up and down recently, but even recently has been the nation's longest running #1 ranked program, has multiple B1G championships and several SW16s.

IU is primed to return with a strong incoming, #9 ranked recruiting class headlined by top 5 Romeo Langford, and returning players like Juwan Morgan, likely a first team all B1G this season. 

Looking forward to the game, and please feel free to keep the conversation going!

Thanks for the welcome! By no means did I mean to insinuate were on your level as a program, that's why I was very careful to point out the stretch since 2000. Trust me nobody in their right mind at MU would put them in the same category either! We know we're in that block of programs who are solid but lacking in the final fours department relative to NCAA appearances. 

Just here to find out about when to buy tickets, find places I must eat at and drink at before the game and correct what seemed to be some ignorance about the strength of our program over time (like comparing a program with 33 NCAA tournament invites which is tied for 12th to Loyola Chicago who has 6...) 

How are you guys on three point defense? Because shooting threes is what we do best if any of you have watched us over the past two years. Is the attitude Romeo is immediately ready or do you think this being so early in the year he might still be getting used to college ball? 

5 minutes ago, Marq fan said:

Thanks for the welcome! By no means did I mean to insinuate were on your level as a program, that's why I was very careful to point out the stretch since 2000. Trust me nobody in their right mind at MU would put them in the same category either! We know we're in that block of programs who are solid but lacking in the final fours department relative to NCAA appearances. 

Just here to find out about when to buy tickets, find places I must eat at and drink at before the game and correct what seemed to be some ignorance about the strength of our program over time (like comparing a program with 33 NCAA tournament invites which is tied for 12th to Loyola Chicago who has 6...) 

How are you guys on three point defense? Because shooting threes is what we do best if any of you have watched us over the past two years. Is the attitude Romeo is immediately ready or do you think this being so early in the year he might still be getting used to college ball? 

You are most welcome and hope you keep up the discussion as we get closer to the game!

Btw, I am not down on Marquette at all, definitely a solid program with a good basketball history.

You will get all kinds of food suggestions, and if you like pizza, you're going to enjoy yourself. My suggestion: Mother Bears, love their pizza.

Yes, Romeo will start from day 1, and is already considered a high lottery pick. He averaged over 35 ppg in high school and is in the top 5 all time of IN high school scorers.  Can score from anywhere. Many on here have seen him play in person and can fill in the details. He is genuinely exceptional, and we are very lucky to have him coming to IU.

What can you tell us about your program, best returning players, players you have the highest expectations for?

44 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

You are most welcome and hope you keep up the discussion as we get closer to the game!

Btw, I am not down on Marquette at all, definitely a solid program with a good basketball history.

You will get all kinds of food suggestions, and if you like pizza, you're going to enjoy yourself. My suggestion: Mother Bears, love their pizza.

Yes, Romeo will start from day 1, and is already considered a high lottery pick. He averaged over 35 ppg in high school and is in the top 5 all time of IN high school scorers.  Can score from anywhere. Many on here have seen him play in person and can fill in the details. He is genuinely exceptional, and we are very lucky to have him coming to IU.

What can you tell us about your program, best returning players, players you have the highest expectations for?

Mother bears, I'll keep that in mind! 

Best returning players are Markus Howard and Sam Hauser. 

Howard was a five star recruit before he reclassified to the class ahead of him. Averaging 20ppg, 3rpg, 3apg. He's a lights out three pt shooter at 55% his freshman year, had struggled in non con last year but brought it back up. Most notably he dropped 52pts against Providence last year. 

Hauser was a former top 100. He's mr do it all on our team. Statistically efficient in every category, averaging 14ppg, 5rpg, 3apg and has a couple 30pt outings to his name but was playing injured all year. If he rebounds from surgery he'll be our no2.

The rest are a solid cast of players, the only last noteworthy player would be Jamal Cain a former top 100 who shot above 50% from 3 in conference once his useage went up. If he puts on good weight he should be a huge improvement. 

We bring in:

Ed Morrow, transfer from Nebraska, former top 100 averaged 9ppg and 7rpg at UNL before coming to us. 

Joseph Chartouny, grad transfer from Fordham. Averaged 12ppg, 4rpg, 5apg in the A10, on a terrible team though. We expect his assist numbers to sky rocket in our offense with his scoring to drop a bit against better D. 

Joey Hauser, the younger brother of sam, was a 5 star on pace for AA before he broke his leg at the beginning of his senior year of HS. 

Brendan Bailey is a former top 100 and son of Thurl bailey, he was on a Mormon mission for two years though so question of rust there.

a lot of injuries to overcome but a lot of talent there essentially. 

4 minutes ago, Marq fan said:

Mother bears, I'll keep that in mind! 

Best returning players are Markus Howard and Sam Hauser. 

Howard was a five star recruit before he reclassified to the class ahead of him. Averaging 20ppg, 3rpg, 3apg. He's a lights out three pt shooter at 55% his freshman year, had struggled in non con last year but brought it back up. Most notably he dropped 52pts against Providence last year. 

Hauser was a former top 100. He's mr do it all on our team. Statistically efficient in every category, averaging 14ppg, 5rpg, 3apg and has a couple 30pt outings to his name but was playing injured all year. If he rebounds from surgery he'll be our no2.

The rest are a solid cast of players, the only last noteworthy player would be Jamal Cain a former top 100 who shot above 50% from 3 in conference once his useage went up. If he puts on good weight he should be a huge improvement. 

We bring in:

Ed Morrow, transfer from Nebraska, former top 100 averaged 9ppg and 7rpg at UNL before coming to us. 

Joseph Chartouny, grad transfer from Fordham. Averaged 12ppg, 4rpg, 5apg in the A10, on a terrible team though. We expect his assist numbers to sky rocket in our offense with his scoring to drop a bit against better D. 

Joey Hauser, the younger brother of sam, was a 5 star on pace for AA before he broke his leg at the beginning of his senior year of HS. 

Brendan Bailey is a former top 100 and son of Thurl bailey, he was on a Mormon mission for two years though so question of rust there.

a lot of injuries to overcome but a lot of talent there essentially. 

Mother Bear's for dinner before the game, then find a bar for dessert after the game. 

What I considered to have been one of the best college BB coaches, coached 13 years at Marquette.  And managed to put Marquette in the NCAAT 9 out of 13 of those years. Al McGuire finished with an overall record at Marquette of 295-80 and one national championship.  It was hard for me not to like Marquette during McGuire's years there.

Al McGuire 

Sorry if this has been covered but Marquette loses high scoring guard Andrew Rowsey to graduation and 6'11'' Harry Froling  & 6'5' Haanif Cheatham to transfer ! They do add 6'3'' Senior  Eligible transfer guard Joseph Chartouny who averaged 12.2 pts. , 5.6 reb. , & 4.6 assists per game for Fordham last season !!

I just went to Marquette's official website and they already have their entire 2018-2019 sixteen player roster posted with updated player numbers ! On paper they look Awesome ! Should be very tough home game !!! P.S. They have Seven players back who averaged between 3.9 & 20.4 points per game plus the Senior Eligible transfer who averaged 12.2 ppg !!!

15 hours ago, Marq fan said:

Let me start by saying, really excited to play you guys! Is it generally easy to get tickets or do you suggest buying them extremely early? I'm definitely making the trip with some college buddies. 

Second:

what do you define as relevant? We aren't what we were under Buzz or Crean, though we should be ranked preseason and have a good team this year. 

From where I'm standing the average college basketball recruit was born in 2000. Thus in the average recruit's lifetime IU and MU have the same amount of Tournament appearances, same amount of second weekend appearances, we've actually gone to the Elite 8 more, though granted in the final four we got embarrassed and you advanced. It seems pretty comparable to me. So in essence you're either saying to the average basketball recruit both IU and MU are no longer relevant, or you're completely lost on how we've been since 2000. 

Again, thrilled to be playing you all! 

I grew up in the 70's.......I am all too aware of Marquette basketball.  I am thrilled to be playing you guys.  

12 hours ago, milehiiu said:

What I considered to have been one of the best college BB coaches, coached 13 years at Marquette.  And managed to put Marquette in the NCAAT 9 out of 13 of those years. Al McGuire finished with an overall record at Marquette of 295-80 and one national championship.  It was hard for me not to like Marquette during McGuire's years there.

Al McGuire 

I loved him as a coach and cheered for the "Warriors".  But I think I loved him more for his broadcasting prowess.  He actually predicted, before the season started, that IU would win the '81 title.  When the Hoosiers stumbled out of the gate, Al compared them to his '77 team which won the title with 7 losses.

Hi everyone!  

I’m pretty excited our Warriors got IU in the Gavitt Games this year.  I have some connection to IU that have kept me following the team a bit over the years.  I spent a lot of weekends in Bloomington from 2000-2002 to visit my then-girlfriend.  I was even on campus the weekend that Knight got canned and later was set to transfer to IU (even had my classes picked out) in the Fall of ’02 before she and I broke up that August!     Side note… never base major life decisions on teenage “love.”  

I mainly just came around here to scope out your team more in depth, but if you welcome discussion from opposing fans I’ll definitely stop in occasionally.

That being said, I do have to ask one question.   Btownqb, if you do not consider Marquette a prestigious program and a yawn on your schedule, what exactly would make the cut?   Some of the current player info and team performance was covered above, here is some general program fun facts that I think put us at a pretty high level.

Men’s Basketball is the premiere sport at MU
MU is in the top 5 in the nation for total mens bball budget/spend 
Always in the top 20 for attendance (before our current rebuild, it was higher yet)
14th in country for number of NCAA tourney bids
Will be playing in one of the 5 best arenas in the country next year.  Currently under construction: http://wisconsinesc.com/live-webcam
Elite level facilities, training and sports medicine programs, etc

With our current incoming class of current and former 4/5* kids and only losing one major player from last year (Rowsey, who although was a prolific scorer was only an alleged 5’10” and couldn’t defend anyone of decent size) we are poised to be quite competitive.   

This should be a great early season challenge for two schools that are bringing in a bunch of great talent that will be working on meshing as one team.  

2 minutes ago, MU MKE said:

Hi everyone!  

I’m pretty excited our Warriors got IU in the Gavitt Games this year.  I have some connection to IU that have kept me following the team a bit over the years.  I spent a lot of weekends in Bloomington from 2000-2002 to visit my then-girlfriend.  I was even on campus the weekend that Knight got canned and later was set to transfer to IU (even had my classes picked out) in the Fall of ’02 before she and I broke up that August!     Side note… never base major life decisions on teenage “love.”  

I mainly just came around here to scope out your team more in depth, but if you welcome discussion from opposing fans I’ll definitely stop in occasionally.

That being said, I do have to ask one question.   Btownqb, if you do not consider Marquette a prestigious program and a yawn on your schedule, what exactly would make the cut?   Some of the current player info and team performance was covered above, here is some general program fun facts that I think put us at a pretty high level.

Always in the top 20 for attendance (before our current rebuild, it was higher yet)
Will be playing in one of the 5 best arenas in the country next year.  Currently under construction: http://wisconsinesc.com/live-webcam

With our current incoming class of current and former 4/5* kids and only losing one major player from last year (Rowsey, who although was a prolific scorer was only an alleged 5’10” and couldn’t defend anyone of decent size) we are poised to be quite competitive.   

This should be a great early season challenge for two schools that are bringing in a bunch of great talent that will be working on meshing as one team.  

I don't think they are a yawn on our schedule. I did not say that at all. I would guess we'll be a 2pt favorite in the game in November, absolutely could go either way. "5 best arenas" by who's standards? I'm certainly sure it's going to be a nice arena, just curious what we're going by. 

I simply said not relevant. As in a national scale.. and sorry I don't think you are. Kansas, Duke, Nova, UNC, UVA, Arizona, MSU, Michigan, Gonzaga, Wisconsin, Indiana, Florida, Xavier, UCLA, Oregon, Purdue, Ohio St, Louisville, UK, Texas, Oklahoma, Butler, Syracuse, Wichita St, West Virginia 

All of those teams are more relevant than Marquette. I realize that some of these schools you might have a better overall record than, that doesn't really change my opinion though because when I think of college BB I think of these teams, not Marquette. 

25 minutes ago, btownqb said:

"5 best arenas" by who's standards? I'm certainly sure it's going to be a nice arena, just curious what we're going by. 

Subjective opinion presented as fact.   Kind of like statements on the relevance of college basketball programs.   😉

Hey, at least I said top 5 instead of 2nd best (Madison Square Garden > All)

3 minutes ago, MU MKE said:

Subjective opinion presented as fact.   Kind of like statements on the relevance of college basketball programs.   😉

Hey, at least I said top 5 instead of 2nd best (Madison Square Garden > All)

I was just curious. Didn't know if it was going to be by size or by what

47 minutes ago, MU MKE said:

Hi everyone!  

Welcome MU MKE!

And we very much welcome opposing fan discussion as mentioned above. 

I don't think anyone here thinks Marq will be an easy game, and our team has some key unanswered questions going into next year, primarily how the point / primary ball handler role will be handled. We have a lot of talent, but that of course is a key question, especially early in the season. Should be a good game, and definitely feel free to continue to stop by for some good dialogue.

Of course you may get some push back at times, this being an IU board, but I think you'll find we enjoy good, spirited but respectful dialogue.

29 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I was just curious. Didn't know if it was going to be by size or by what

Nah, I was just being a bit tongue and cheek.   The point was just to show off the new digs, all in good fun.  I won't really be able to judge until November!    :-)

20 hours ago, Marq fan said:

Regarding tickets....this game will be a sellout as it will be part of the season ticket package and will not be a student break game.  So, unless you have swag at MU and can get tix from that very slim allotment, you're looking at the secondary market.  I suggest you keep your eye on a couple IU ticket forums as game day nears.  IU season ticket holders will not have their tickets "in hand" until a couple weeks before the opening game (date tbd) so don't expect tix to be showing up on ticket boards until a few weeks before the game. Here are links to boards to watch:

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/Board/Ticket-Exchange-BB-106112

https://indiana.forums.rivals.com/forums/ticket-exchange-forum.14/

Best of luck and Go Hoosiers!!!!!!!

3 hours ago, eddy4iu said:

Regarding tickets....this game will be a sellout as it will be part of the season ticket package and will not be a student break game.  So, unless you have swag at MU and can get tix from that very slim allotment, you're looking at the secondary market.  I suggest you keep your eye on a couple IU ticket forums as game day nears.  IU season ticket holders will not have their tickets "in hand" until a couple weeks before the opening game (date tbd) so don't expect tix to be showing up on ticket boards until a few weeks before the game. Here are links to boards to watch:

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/Board/Ticket-Exchange-BB-106112

https://indiana.forums.rivals.com/forums/ticket-exchange-forum.14/

Best of luck and Go Hoosiers!!!!!!!

Thanks for letting me know! As much as I pretend I have swag at MU I don't think my annual $50 donation will get me a ticket! I'll have to remember to keep an eye on those boards.  

5 hours ago, btownqb said:

I don't think they are a yawn on our schedule. I did not say that at all. I would guess we'll be a 2pt favorite in the game in November, absolutely could go either way. "5 best arenas" by who's standards? I'm certainly sure it's going to be a nice arena, just curious what we're going by. 

I simply said not relevant. As in a national scale.. and sorry I don't think you are. Kansas, Duke, Nova, UNC, UVA, Arizona, MSU, Michigan, Gonzaga, Wisconsin, Indiana, Florida, Xavier, UCLA, Oregon, Purdue, Ohio St, Louisville, UK, Texas, Oklahoma, Butler, Syracuse, Wichita St, West Virginia 

All of those teams are more relevant than Marquette. I realize that some of these schools you might have a better overall record than, that doesn't really change my opinion though because when I think of college BB I think of these teams, not Marquette. 

How a team from a smaller market, smaller school, with less NCAA success, zero final fours and less tournament bids is more associated with basketball to you than Marq i don't understand. UW coming to mind is 100% recency bias. 

Archived