Race Thompson

I think the player I'm most intrigued by next year is Race. He seems to be one of the least talked about players that could possibly be a very important piece. 

I get a lot of IU news and listen to quite a few podcasts, but still feel I'm somewhat in the dark about Race. What we know: he's in much better shape, he's acclimated to college, and he has a year of (practice) experience in Archie's system under his belt. All of this AND are we forgetting before he reclassified he was a top 75 recruit? 

Has anybody heard any info about his development last year? Does Archie view him as a major contributor next year? If Deron is still not recovered is it crazy to think he may be the 1st year player with the 2nd most minutes? 

I agree, I think A LOT of people are sleeping on this kid. His last year of AAU, one of the recruiting guys said he was the best low post defender in the class. And from my understanding, he can step back and hit a few threes.

The way he slimmed down, I think he is primed for a lot of PT. I think (and hope) he mimics Juwan's progression (maybe quicker considering the redshirt year and fewer injuries than Juwan).

I think the addition of Fitzner means we won't see much of Race or Jake this coming year UNLESS DD is taking longer than anticipated to recover.

If you leave out the position-less philosophy for a moment, I think we will see mostly Justin, Juwan, Fitzner, and Davis (if healthy) as the primary 4/5's.

We seem to have the most front court depth that I can remember on an IU team in forever when you are wondering if Clifton, Race, and Jake are going to get minutes as opposed to wondering which of our tall wings will be able to fill in at the 4 spot. Not complaining, just a good problem to have.

8 minutes ago, IUaic said:

I think the addition of Fitzner means we won't see much of Race or Jake this coming year UNLESS DD is taking longer than anticipated to recover.

If you leave out the position-less philosophy for a moment, I think we will see mostly Justin, Juwan, Fitzner, and Davis (if healthy) as the primary 4/5's.

We seem to have the most front court depth that I can remember on an IU team in forever when you are wondering if Clifton, Race, and Jake are going to get minutes as opposed to wondering which of our tall wings will be able to fill in at the 4 spot. Not complaining, just a good problem to have.

I think you'll see more of Race and Fitzner than you will Deron and Moore.

Just a hunch.

9 minutes ago, IUaic said:

Race seems more likely than Davis but yeah agree on depth, at this point the front-court depth looks pretty nice.

I’m expecting Race to see plenty of time at the 5, and I think him, Morgan, Smith, and Fitzner will be the forwards that get the most minutes.  Outside of Romeo, I think Race may be the freshman that has the most impact.

Not that it matters, but I’m kind of confused about his ranking.  I remember him being listed as a top 70-80 recruit as well, but 247 lists him as the #134 player in the Class of 2017.  Is that because he reclassified?

Agree.  The kid is working.  I remember reading his scouting report and watching his clips.  He seems ornery, which is always a plus.  Rugged kid who can play through contact, like he likes it.

Our rotation of bigs really reminds me of an Izzo rotation of bigs from years past.  Tough, physical kids with motors.  Forrester and Race both are supposed to be high motor guys.  

I also think Clifton Moore will end up being a good player, hopefully here.  He's long and can move his feet defensively.  He has touch with his shot and can even square up.  He's got to learn his assignments and get stronger.  I wish he redshirted.

8 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

Has anybody heard any info about his development last year? 

7 hours ago, JEFFVETTE said:

He's the one player that always gets looked over by the local radio guys when talking about next year. I'm just as curious as you are!

IIRC, Dakich about 2 or 3 weeks ago now said something along the lines of "now this kid Race Thompson is going to be factor, watch out, nobody is talking about him but he's got his body ripped up."  It was probably not too long after that pic camp out and right around the time Dakich was bragging how he was recently on the phone with CAM, if that tells you something.  He got the intel directly from Coach.  

20 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

IIRC, Dakich about 2 or 3 weeks ago now said something along the lines of "now this kid Race Thompson is going to be factor, watch out, nobody is talking about him but he's got his body ripped up."  It was probably not too long after that pic camp out and right around the time Dakich was bragging how he was recently on the phone with CAM, if that tells you something.  He got the intel directly from Coach.  

Dakich even tweeted to remember the name Race Thompson.

the thing i'm trying to figure out is that it seems so rare to redshirt these days.  obviously i get that he wouldn't have gotten time last year, but it's hard to think someone who redshirted will come in and play a big role.  i know it used to happen all the time, but not anymore.  so what's the story here?

Race could very well be like Justin Smith where about 4-5 games into the Big 10 season we as fans remember he was a 4 star recruit who is pretty good. I'm excited for Race to get going. Even if it's best for him for the long haul....being a redshirt (minus a season ending injury) has to be tough. All the demands of schedule, practice, film, workouts, post game workouts....and no reward when the lights go on.

19 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

the thing i'm trying to figure out is that it seems so rare to redshirt these days.  obviously i get that he wouldn't have gotten time last year, but it's hard to think someone who redshirted will come in and play a big role.  i know it used to happen all the time, but not anymore.  so what's the story here?

Remember he reclassified and he  had some lingering injuries was the main reason he red shirted and not talent level.

Is this a fair analogy?

Race deciding to reclassify and head to college earlier (better treatment for injuries, better talent to practice against, more development physically) is the same or close to a borderline draft pick/early entrant deciding to stay in draft and get better, more development while practicing against better guys in G League/Overseas? 

Had this debate with a buddy last weekend and it seems pretty close to me. Was curious what people thought.

2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Not sure why the traditional redshirt went away, but my best guess is that you don't want someone taking up a scholarship an additional year if theirskill level makes them a red-shirt candidate (need more time to be able to contribute). I would think that it might be more prevalent at mid-majors and below.

Race falls under the new redshirt style where a player reclassifies to get to school a year early but redshirts and doesn't play what would have been their senior year of HS. Instead of dominating inferior HS competition (playing D1 talent occasionally) they practice with D1 level talent daily, have access to world-class strength and conditioning and diet resources, and get one year of college life and academics under their belt a year early and are better equipped to deal with it when they are playing for the 1st time the following year. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Is this a fair analogy?

Race deciding to reclassify and head to college earlier (better treatment for injuries, better talent to practice against, more development physically) is the same or close to a borderline draft pick/early entrant deciding to stay in draft and get better, more development while practicing against better guys in G League/Overseas? 

Had this debate with a buddy last weekend and it seems pretty close to me. Was curious what people thought.

I think so. You're putting yourself at or as close to the next level that you can at the time.

3 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Not sure why the traditional redshirt went away, but my best guess is that you don't want someone taking up a scholarship an additional year if they're skill level makes them a red-shirt candidate (need more time to be able to contribute). I would think that it might be more prevalent at mid-majors and below.

Race falls under the new redshirt style where a player reclassifies to get to school a year early but redshirts and doesn't play what would have been their senior year of HS. Instead of dominating inferior HS competition (playing D1 talent occasionally) they practice with D1 level talent daily, have access to world-class strength and conditioning and diet resources, and get one year of college life and academics under their belt a year early and are better equipped to deal with it when they are playing for the 1st time the following year. 

This is spot on.  Why wouldn’t you expect a top 80 four star recruit that took this route to play a big role his first year?

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Honest believe he gobbles up all minutes Davis might have played. Fitzner and Thompson will each have nice roles off the bench and will supply the depth we need at the 4 and the 5 with Hunter possibly sprinkled in. 

You think Hunter will play more at the forward spot (like Smith did last year) or on the wing?  I read an article on Hunter a while back where they said he started out as a post player, and gradually developed his ballhandling and perimeter scoring skills throughout his high school career.  I’m really intrigued to see the role he’s going to have.

As for Race, for some reason I think he’s going to be very similar to Emmitt Holt.

7 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

You think Hunter will play more at the forward spot (like Smith did last year) or on the wing?  I read an article on Hunter a while back where they said he started out as a post player, and gradually developed his ballhandling and perimeter scoring skills throughout his high school career.  I’m really intrigued to see the role he’s going to have.

As for Race, for some reason I think he’s going to be very similar to Emmitt Holt.

Good comparison on Holt. If true, it'll be glorious. 

I think there will be times where we will hide Hunter defensively and the other team might have a weaker 4 man he can guard. He could create a lot of mismatches offensively at the 4. 

I think he is a year or 2 away from being able to play some 2 for us. Defensively and Offensively, but he potential is there. Green, Hunter, and Thompson are the wild cards this year. imo

Archived