Race Thompson

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Race could very well be like Justin Smith where about 4-5 games into the Big 10 season we as fans remember he was a 4 star recruit who is pretty good. I'm excited for Race to get going. Even if it's best for him for the long haul....being a redshirt (minus a season ending injury) has to be tough. All the demands of schedule, practice, film, workouts, post game workouts....and no reward when the lights go on.

I think that's a valid point.  Not only a top-70 type recruit, but one that has had a year to acclimate, develop, and learn.  The physical conditioning should give him a step up on what is expected of freshmen, but his talent and hard work on the court is what will determine his ability to contribute.

I see Race as the type of player that I can root for. Does the dirty work and is a key piece, even if unheralded, on a great team. Gets me to thinking of Horace Grant on the Bulls. Its going to be a crowded froncourt and not sure how long it will take Race to start firing cylinders, but I'm hoping he delivers beyond his rankings.

27 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I see Race as the type of player that I can root for. Does the dirty work and is a key piece, even if unheralded, on a great team. Gets me to thinking of Horace Grant on the Bulls. Its going to be a crowded froncourt and not sure how long it will take Race to start firing cylinders, but I'm hoping he delivers beyond his rankings.

Doesn't Race seem like the kind of player that Archie will admire? Just a punch you in the face mentality.

He fits the toughness profile I think of when I think of Archie.

No flash. Let's just go out to fight and compete.

51 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Doesn't Race seem like the kind of player that Archie will admire? Just a punch you in the face mentality.

He fits the toughness profile I think of when I think of Archie.

No flash. Let's just go out to fight and compete.

Yes, let's hope his talent matches his persona!

6 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Is this a fair analogy?

Race deciding to reclassify and head to college earlier (better treatment for injuries, better talent to practice against, more development physically) is the same or close to a borderline draft pick/early entrant deciding to stay in draft and get better, more development while practicing against better guys in G League/Overseas? 

Had this debate with a buddy last weekend and it seems pretty close to me. Was curious what people thought.

Great analogy; though you just made half the people on the board hate him for giving up a year of eligibility at his high school and do what is best for him. 

22 hours ago, ephul said:

I agree, I think A LOT of people are sleeping on this kid. His last year of AAU, one of the recruiting guys said he was the best low post defender in the class. And from my understanding, he can step back and hit a few threes.

The way he slimmed down, I think he is primed for a lot of PT. I think (and hope) he mimics Juwan's progression (maybe quicker considering the redshirt year and fewer injuries than Juwan).

I saw Race not to long ago, looked Lean and ripped.

4 hours ago, cybergates said:

Not sure why the traditional redshirt went away, but my best guess is that you don't want someone taking up a scholarship an additional year if theirskill level makes them a red-shirt candidate (need more time to be able to contribute). I would think that it might be more prevalent at mid-majors and below.

Race falls under the new redshirt style where a player reclassifies to get to school a year early but redshirts and doesn't play what would have been their senior year of HS. Instead of dominating inferior HS competition (playing D1 talent occasionally) they practice with D1 level talent daily, have access to world-class strength and conditioning and diet resources, and get one year of college life and academics under their belt a year early and are better equipped to deal with it when they are playing for the 1st time the following year. 

Great points 

5 hours ago, cybergates said:

Not sure why the traditional redshirt went away, but my best guess is that you don't want someone taking up a scholarship an additional year if theirskill level makes them a red-shirt candidate (need more time to be able to contribute). I would think that it might be more prevalent at mid-majors and below.

Race falls under the new redshirt style where a player reclassifies to get to school a year early but redshirts and doesn't play what would have been their senior year of HS. Instead of dominating inferior HS competition (playing D1 talent occasionally) they practice with D1 level talent daily, have access to world-class strength and conditioning and diet resources, and get one year of college life and academics under their belt a year early and are better equipped to deal with it when they are playing for the 1st time the following year. 

The basketball IQ of Hoosier Sports Nation members, and their willingness to share their treasures of knowledge with us all.... never ceases to amaze me.

Case in point.  This very post.  For that you have earned a coveted milehiiu........ WELL DONE !

Another reason the red shirt has went away is that the players today are to impatient to wait their turn and will transfer right away if they don't get playing time.  Also with kids leaving early you want to get as much out of a player before they leave so you don't red shirt them.

28 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Another reason the red shirt has went away is that the players today are to impatient to wait their turn and will transfer right away if they don't get playing time.  Also with kids leaving early you want to get as much out of a player before they leave so you don't red shirt them.

This is speculation and has no merit.  You have no idea why the red shirt went away in College Basketball.  But its your opinion.

24 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Not aggressive at all.  I just stated a fact.  He made a statement that is pure conjecture like it was fact and i said so.  Its my opinion, just like its his.

So do I need to put in my opinion on ever post I make.  I thought most on here knew that on a message board it is pure opinion on here and not just stating facts.  Ok in my opinion a couple of reasons why I think they don't redshirt enough is that kids don't want to red shirt or have patience to wait their turn.  Also in my opinion kids leaving early causes coaches to rethink about redshirting because they want to get as much out of that player as possible.

31 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So do I need to put in my opinion on ever post I make.  I thought most on here knew that on a message board it is pure opinion on here and not just stating facts.  Ok in my opinion a couple of reasons why I think they don't redshirt enough is that kids don't want to red shirt or have patience to wait their turn.  Also in my opinion kids leaving early causes coaches to rethink about redshirting because they want to get as much out of that player as possible.

If you notice, allot of people state that in their opinion they think something happens or IMO here is what i think.  When they just put a statement out there that the reason X is happening, you might assume they have inside information or an understanding that others might not have.  When you state you knew why red-shirts were not being used because kids are impatient and don't want to wait (your original statement), i feel like you assumed you know the motivations behind every kids to play basketball.  And since you consistently rail on how nothing should ever change and it was so much better in the past, i feel like in your statements are jaded and you should state that they are in fact your opinion and not some reasoned fact. There are many on here who do allot of digging and research on basketball and when they state something, we might be inclined to take it as a more informed fact/opinion.

But you are correct, an internet forum is usually full of just opinions.

IMO if you please

• 3 months later...

I see a lot of talk about people who should contribute this year. Any insiders heard anything about how Race is looking at practices and if we think he will be ready to help the team? I think we all forget about the kid but adding him to this recruiting class essentially could make it one we will remember for a long time that turned around Indiana basketball back to glory. I'm really excited for the kid! He looks to have a B1G ready body with all the work he put in.

18 hours ago, dgambill said:

I see a lot of talk about people who should contribute this year. Any insiders heard anything about how Race is looking at practices and if we think he will be ready to help the team? I think we all forget about the kid but adding him to this recruiting class essentially could make it one we will remember for a long time that turned around Indiana basketball back to glory. I'm really excited for the kid! He looks to have a B1G ready body with all the work he put in.

Lets not forgot the Race was rated #71 in the class. He's a top 75 talent with a year under his belt in the system. I expect him to contribute immediately this year. 

I am really looking forward to see Mr. Thompson play !! I am hoping that he { Race} is one of a few of the newcomers that rise to the top !! No one really knows how the new players will perform once the actual games begin !! However , IF The Hoosier NEWBIES perform up to 😀their press clippings , its going to be an AWESOME SEASON !! Go Hoosiers !!  😀

Archived