Pitino: Adidas Won Battle to Keep Romeo Langford

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/2018/05/16/rick-pitino-adidas-tried-keep-romeo-langford-company-sponsored-school/615426002/

Not surprised that this scumbag is going to the media with this info now.  Don’t think this will have any effect on Langford’s eligibility, but interesting nonetheless.  Every single top recruit and every single school recruiting them is “playing the game.”  Just have to figure out how to play it without getting burned.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read this version https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/sports/colleges/before-romeo-langford-chose-indiana-adidas-made-sure-he-stayed-under-its-tent/2018/05/16/2c77d384-539e-11e8-a551-5b648abe29ef_story.html?noredirect=on

Agree with you that Pitino action not surprising and that it doesn't appear that Langfords have done anything to compromise his eligibility but man this is too close for comfort for me. 

Pay attention to scandal #3.  And then ask yourself, if Pitino isn't carrying an axe to grind.

3 scandals that tainted Rick Pitino’s legacy at Louisville 

All the more ironic, when one looks back at scandal #1, and recalls that Pitino was the one who paid off Karen Sypher.  Only to regret it, when she extorted him for more money.  Which then resulted in his admitting that he had sex with her. 

11 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Guys its legal to take money from shoe companies to start AAU teams. Why the drama?

Wasn’t posting this to be dramatic, and like I said, I highly doubt this will have any effect on his eligibility.  But I do think it’s illustrative for some fans that think IU would never go anywhere near this type of situation.  This is the kind of stuff that happens with every high-level recruit, and it’s the kind of thing a program like IU has been involved with in the past and will be involved with going forward.  Nothing wrong with it, just the way recruiting elite talent works.

But it does also make me chuckle a little about all the fawning over the Langfords’ C-H-A-R-A-C-T-E-R.

28 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Guys its legal to take money from shoe companies to start AAU teams. Why the drama?

It depends if there is more to the story and rather there is anyone with IU is involved with this.  It also depends how Tim Langford handled the money and actually used it for his AAU team.. Again this is why I am leery recruiting these one and done players and everything that might come with that.  There might not be anything to this but now we will have to worry if Romeo is eligible and rather IU could be implemented with this situation.  I would just rather have IU recruit like Beilein and UM because you never here there name in these kind of situations.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It depends if there is more to the story and rather there is anyone with IU is involved with this.  It also depends how Tim Langford handled the money and actually used it for his AAU team.. Again this is why I am leery recruiting these one and done players and everything that might come with that.  There might not be anything to this but now we will have to worry if Romeo is eligible and rather IU could be implemented with this situation.  I would just rather have IU recruit like Beilein and UM because you never here there name in these kind of situations.

Because Nike has not been hit yet.  Michigan recruits well too, they just pull Nike kids and the FBI went after Adidas first.

I skimmed the article and didn't notice if they showed evidence that Tim Langford actually took a cut (director's fee?).  I'm not really crazy about how things like this, but it does appear to be both legal and common.

I assume the Langford AAU team was formed/financed before Pitino was nailed (and IU wasn't even involved).

38 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Because Nike has not been hit yet.  Michigan recruits well too, they just pull Nike kids and the FBI went after Adidas first.

This is the recruiting rankings for the last 4 years for Villanova, UM and UNC. all of these schools have been to multiple final fours in the last 5 years without having top recruiting rankings every year.

UNC
2017-19th
2016-14th
2015-70th
2014-10th

UM
2017-43rd
2016--31st
2015-107th
2014-30th

Villanova
2017- could not find their ranking
2016-45th
2015-29th
2014-48th

It doe snot look like UM recruits as well as you think and they don't cheat.

21 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

This is the recruiting rankings for the last 4 years for Villanova, UM and UNC. all of these schools have been to multiple final fours in the last 5 years without having top recruiting rankings every year.

UNC

2018-8th

2017-19th
2016-14th
2015-70th
2014-10th

UM

2018-10th
2017-43rd
2016--31st
2015-107th
2014-30th

Villanova

2018-14th
2016-45th
2015-29th
2014-48th

Every school that has landed a 5* has had a shoe company involved.  I guarantee it.  Also, you left off the most recent recruiting rankings.  I think I know why but I added 2018 for you.

And at this point it is hard to say that anyone is not doing stuff that would have been labeled cheating even 10 years ago, including IU.  I would not want to go out on a limb for Michigan (whose history is known) no matter how clean you think their coach is now.

6 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Every school that has landed a 5* has had a shoe company involved.  I guarantee it.  Also, you left off the most recent recruiting rankings.  I think I know why but I added 2018 for you.

Because they have not played in college and I was going by how these team's has done the last 5 years.

22 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

UNC
2017-19th
2016-14th
2015-70th
2014-10th

UM
2017-43rd
2016--31st
2015-107th
2014-30th

Villanova
2016-45th
2015-29th
2014-48th

Those classes at least Nova still had 5 stars in them 

Just now, dbmhoosier said:

Piston Honda did warn us that Romeo's camp was looking for a payout.

Nothing illegal went on here 

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Because they have not played in college and I was going by how these team's has done the last 5 years.

They recruit pretty well.

How much you willing to lay money that 4* Top 100 kids have parents who are getting some kick backs from the shoe companies as well?  Probably not as much as the 5* guys but the shoe companies are businesses, I am sure they hedge their bets.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Low 5 stars who were not going to be one and done players.

I'm confused of your point? Those schools at least UNC and Nova aren't low in those rankings because of star power... they are lower because of numbers. 

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

Again....no secret here. It's no different than my daughter's travel softball team being sponsored by Demarini. We got some free bats, bags and hats. No biggy...

Archived