Jump to content

Welcome to Hoosier Sports Nation | Indiana Basketball and Sports Forum

Welcome to HoosierSportsNation 3.0 -- our newest and best iteration.  We promise we won't bite -- come on in and register to join the party!


Sign in to follow this  
FW_Hoosier

Pitino: Adidas Won Battle to Keep Romeo Langford

Recommended Posts

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/2018/05/16/rick-pitino-adidas-tried-keep-romeo-langford-company-sponsored-school/615426002/

Not surprised that this scumbag is going to the media with this info now.  Don’t think this will have any effect on Langford’s eligibility, but interesting nonetheless.  Every single top recruit and every single school recruiting them is “playing the game.”  Just have to figure out how to play it without getting burned.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read this version https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/sports/colleges/before-romeo-langford-chose-indiana-adidas-made-sure-he-stayed-under-its-tent/2018/05/16/2c77d384-539e-11e8-a551-5b648abe29ef_story.html?noredirect=on

Agree with you that Pitino action not surprising and that it doesn't appear that Langfords have done anything to compromise his eligibility but man this is too close for comfort for me. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pay attention to scandal #3.  And then ask yourself, if Pitino isn't carrying an axe to grind.

3 scandals that tainted Rick Pitino’s legacy at Louisville 

All the more ironic, when one looks back at scandal #1, and recalls that Pitino was the one who paid off Karen Sypher.  Only to regret it, when she extorted him for more money.  Which then resulted in his admitting that he had sex with her. 

Edited by milehiiu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Guys its legal to take money from shoe companies to start AAU teams. Why the drama?

Wasn’t posting this to be dramatic, and like I said, I highly doubt this will have any effect on his eligibility.  But I do think it’s illustrative for some fans that think IU would never go anywhere near this type of situation.  This is the kind of stuff that happens with every high-level recruit, and it’s the kind of thing a program like IU has been involved with in the past and will be involved with going forward.  Nothing wrong with it, just the way recruiting elite talent works.

But it does also make me chuckle a little about all the fawning over the Langfords’ C-H-A-R-A-C-T-E-R.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This doesn't implicate IU in any way, but it does look bad for Tim Langford, depending on your moral compass. Nothing happened to Duke surrounding Bagley, nothing will happen to us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Guys its legal to take money from shoe companies to start AAU teams. Why the drama?

It depends if there is more to the story and rather there is anyone with IU is involved with this.  It also depends how Tim Langford handled the money and actually used it for his AAU team.. Again this is why I am leery recruiting these one and done players and everything that might come with that.  There might not be anything to this but now we will have to worry if Romeo is eligible and rather IU could be implemented with this situation.  I would just rather have IU recruit like Beilein and UM because you never here there name in these kind of situations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It depends if there is more to the story and rather there is anyone with IU is involved with this.  It also depends how Tim Langford handled the money and actually used it for his AAU team.. Again this is why I am leery recruiting these one and done players and everything that might come with that.  There might not be anything to this but now we will have to worry if Romeo is eligible and rather IU could be implemented with this situation.  I would just rather have IU recruit like Beilein and UM because you never here there name in these kind of situations.

Because Nike has not been hit yet.  Michigan recruits well too, they just pull Nike kids and the FBI went after Adidas first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I skimmed the article and didn't notice if they showed evidence that Tim Langford actually took a cut (director's fee?).  I'm not really crazy about how things like this, but it does appear to be both legal and common.

I assume the Langford AAU team was formed/financed before Pitino was nailed (and IU wasn't even involved).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Because Nike has not been hit yet.  Michigan recruits well too, they just pull Nike kids and the FBI went after Adidas first.

This is the recruiting rankings for the last 4 years for Villanova, UM and UNC. all of these schools have been to multiple final fours in the last 5 years without having top recruiting rankings every year.

UNC
2017-19th
2016-14th
2015-70th
2014-10th

UM
2017-43rd
2016--31st
2015-107th
2014-30th

Villanova
2017- could not find their ranking
2016-45th
2015-29th
2014-48th

 

It doe snot look like UM recruits as well as you think and they don't cheat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

This is the recruiting rankings for the last 4 years for Villanova, UM and UNC. all of these schools have been to multiple final fours in the last 5 years without having top recruiting rankings every year.

UNC

2018-8th

2017-19th
2016-14th
2015-70th
2014-10th

UM

2018-10th
2017-43rd
2016--31st
2015-107th
2014-30th

Villanova

2018-14th
2017- could not find their ranking
2016-45th
2015-29th
2014-48th

 

It doe snot look like UM recruits as well as you think and they don't cheat.

Every school that has landed a 5* has had a shoe company involved.  I guarantee it.  Also, you left off the most recent recruiting rankings.  I think I know why but I added 2018 for you.

And at this point it is hard to say that anyone is not doing stuff that would have been labeled cheating even 10 years ago, including IU.  I would not want to go out on a limb for Michigan (whose history is known) no matter how clean you think their coach is now.

Edited by IUCrazy2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Every school that has landed a 5* has had a shoe company involved.  I guarantee it.  Also, you left off the most recent recruiting rankings.  I think I know why but I added 2018 for you.

Because they have not played in college and I was going by how these team's has done the last 5 years.

Edited by IU Scott

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Things were so much better in the old days.

 

😎

When it comes to basketball, yes it was.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

This is the recruiting rankings for the last 4 years for Villanova, UM and UNC. all of these schools have been to multiple final fours in the last 5 years without having top recruiting rankings every year.

UNC
2017-19th
2016-14th
2015-70th
2014-10th

UM
2017-43rd
2016--31st
2015-107th
2014-30th

Villanova
2017- could not find their ranking
2016-45th
2015-29th
2014-48th

 

It doe snot look like UM recruits as well as you think and they don't cheat.

Those classes at least Nova still had 5 stars in them 

Just now, dbmhoosier said:

Piston Honda did warn us that Romeo's camp was looking for a payout.

Nothing illegal went on here 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, btownqb said:

Those classes at least Nova still had 5 stars in them 

Nothing illegal went on here 

Low 5 stars who were not going to be one and done players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, IU Scott said:

When it comes to basketball, yes it was.

Pleaseeee tell me you saw Kerr's sideline interview two nights ago

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Because they have not played in college and I was going by how these team's has done the last 5 years.

They recruit pretty well.

How much you willing to lay money that 4* Top 100 kids have parents who are getting some kick backs from the shoe companies as well?  Probably not as much as the 5* guys but the shoe companies are businesses, I am sure they hedge their bets.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Low 5 stars who were not going to be one and done players.

I'm confused of your point? Those schools at least UNC and Nova aren't low in those rankings because of star power... they are lower because of numbers. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×