Pitino: Adidas Won Battle to Keep Romeo Langford

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BoomBaby said:

There is very little quality journalism today, and probably none in the Washington Post.  Tabloid journalism at its worst, as exemplified by the Pitino article.

While there is a lot of shoddy journalism coming out of the Washington Post and other national newspapers, the Langford story isn’t an example of that.  It’s a relevant topic that’s very much related to a national scandal that’s resulted in a number of federal indictments, and the story seems to be thoroughly researched and sourced.  Just because you don’t like the story or the info included doesn’t mean it’s bad journalism.

10 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

What did Evan say?

Of course. This entire story was blown out proportion. Everything was within the NCAA rules, which Pitino even said, but that didn't make the headlines. Parents getting $$ from shoe companies for an AAU team is far from a new thing.

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I am ashamed to know that Kravitz is an IU alum.  Having said that, Bob used to write for the now defunct Rocky Mountain News in Denver.  He was horrible.  Many felt he alone helped lead up to the death of one of the nation's great newspapers, before being run out of town.  Sadly for my Hoosier friends, and you as well, he wound up, back in Indiana.

Why Your Hometown Columnist Sucks: Bob Kravitz

One thing Kravitz and his paper know is that IU basketball sells rags.  They really should give Romeo a nice kickback for all of the articles they've written about him over the last several months (jk).

Kravitz came to the Star after Gannett bought it out and put it under their USA Today umbrella.  Almost all of local writers and columnist were let go or quit when that takeover occurred.  Since then they shuffle in reporters (mostly opinion/columnists) - most of whom just like to stir up controversy.

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

While there is a lot of shoddy journalism coming out of the Washington Post and other national newspapers, the Langford story isn’t an example of that.  It’s a relevant topic that’s very much related to a national scandal that’s resulted in a number of federal indictments, and the story seems to be thoroughly researched and sourced.  Just because you don’t like the story or the info included doesn’t mean it’s bad journalism.

Not to get political, but it's a big problem when our nation's leaders call things fake news just because they don't like the story. It creates a general distrust in journalism that is over the top. 

Is there some bad journalism out there? Yes, but reporting things someone doesn't like doesn't fall into that category. 

12 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

One thing Kravitz and his paper know is that IU basketball sells rags.  They really should give Romeo a nice kickback for all of the articles they've written about him over the last several months (jk).

Kravitz came to the Star after Gannett bought it out and put it under their USA Today umbrella.  Almost all of local writers and columnist were let go or quit when that takeover occurred.  Since then they shuffle in reporters (mostly opinion/columnists) - most of whom just like to stir up controversy.

Kravitz left the Star a long time ago. He writes for WTHR now.

16 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Not to get political, but it's a big problem when our nation's leaders call things fake news just because they don't like the story. It creates a general distrust in journalism that is over the top. 

Is there some bad journalism out there? Yes, but reporting things someone doesn't like doesn't fall into that category. 

I tend to be distrustful of most journalism relating to national politics these days.  Seems clear to me that there’s an agenda being pushed on both sides, which is leading to highly slanted “reporting” and outright falsehoods in many cases.   The pressure on media outlets to be the first to break “news” in today’s 24/7 social media environment also compounds the problem.

But you take each story individually.  I think stories like this that don’t have anything to do with politics are generally pretty trustworthy.

11 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I tend to be distrustful of most journalism relating to national politics these days.  Seems clear to me that there’s an agenda being pushed on both sides, which is leading to highly slanted “reporting” and outright falsehoods in many cases.   The pressure on media outlets to be the first to break “news” in today’s 24/7 social media environment also compounds the problem.

But you take each story individually.  I think stories like this that don’t have anything to do with politics are generally pretty trustworthy.

There's a difference in having an agenda but keeping it factual and reporting fake things though. When someone claims it is fake news, then admits that their definition of fakes news is things they don't like it's a problem. Anyway, enough of that. 

2 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Doh.  You're right.  But they shuffled in Doyel to perform the same schtick.

Doyel learned his lesson pretty fast. Fresh from his move to Indy from CBS he wrote an article about the need to fire Crean immediately after a loss. Mind you Doyel had been in town for about 30 minutes. His points might have had merit...but outsiders especially journalists need to get people to trust them. Once a consumer has trust in a journalist they believe most things that go from pen to paper. Doyel had no business writing that piece. 

I've always thought Kravitz has done a fairly good job at reporting things. He's been held hostage by the Colts who threatened press privileges during the Polian years. But this aricle was so out of character and his history. Hope he comes clean on realizing how poor it was...just like Doyel did.

6 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Journalism as a whole should simply be better. The media in general is an honest to God joke. 

20 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I am ashamed to know that Kravitz is an IU alum.  Having said that, Bob used to write for the now defunct Rocky Mountain News in Denver.  He was horrible.  Many felt he alone helped lead up to the death of one of the nation's great newspapers, before being run out of town.  Sadly for my Hoosier friends, and you as well, he wound up, back in Indiana.

Why Your Hometown Columnist Sucks: Bob Kravitz

Sad. That article is almost 13 years old and he hasn't shown any growth in his profession, possibly regression.

22 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

How about this kid openly attempting to blackmail Romeo and his family?!

1290013398_ScreenShot2018-05-21at2_27_40PM.png.3bed5db0110a1459e9a67b9de9114872.png

smh. where was this at on Twitter? 

This guys Twitter description: Michigan St alum (that explains a lot) and Special Education Teacher (I hope he isn't employed by a school)

32 minutes ago, btownqb said:

This guys Twitter description: Michigan St alum (that explains a lot) and Special Education Teacher (I hope he isn't employed by a school)

Yea, it was on twitter. Kind of ironic that he's telling Romeo to be concerned about jail time for accepting bribes when he's literally attempting to do the exact same thing lol. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I think he got confused and put Teacher instead of Student.

Archived