Pitino: Adidas Won Battle to Keep Romeo Langford

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, ephul said:

Right.... He seems to have raised a pretty good, down to earth son.

I have no problem with Romeo- seems like a great kid- doesn’t mean his dad isnt full of $h**.  Do as I say, not as I do type of thing.  And just because Romeo is coming to IU doesn’t mean I have to drink the Tim Langford koolaid that so many guzzle down.  Most people here don’t know Mr. Langford personally and neither do I, but this new evidence shows that this wasn’t about character or community, it was all about the cash. I can’t say I wouldn’t do the same as a father, but I certainly wouldn’t have subjected my son to that over the top announcement if I was on the Adidas payroll.

9 minutes ago, hoosier10 said:

After that announcement and now this news, I just think the guy is completely full of BS.  I don’t trust him- just my opinion.  You don’t go spouting off about character and have a ridiculous pastor speak for 20 mins at your sons announcement when you are out there collecting six figures from Adidas- classic misdirection by the holier than thou crowd.  Blind people with God and pointless fluff to cover up your indescretions- politicians have been doing it for decades.  I like Romeo a lot, Tim not so much.  

Let's be clear.. none of this is illegal. Quite honestly I don't even find it immoral. Btw you can still be a Christian and collect money legally. 

10 minutes ago, hoosier10 said:

After that announcement and now this news, I just think the guy is completely full of BS.  I don’t trust him- just my opinion.  You don’t go spouting off about character and have a ridiculous pastor speak for 20 mins at your sons announcement when you are out there collecting six figures from Adidas- classic misdirection by the holier than thou crowd.  Blind people with God and pointless fluff to cover up your indescretions- politicians have been doing it for decades.  I like Romeo a lot, Tim not so much.  

C’mon, I’m sure Abraham Lincoln, Oscar Robertson, and Jesus all would have done the same thing.

1 minute ago, hoosier10 said:

I have no problem with Romeo- seems like a great kid- doesn’t mean his dad isnt full of $h**.  Do as I say, not as I do type of thing.  And just because Romeo is coming to IU doesn’t mean I have to drink the Tim Langford koolaid that so many guzzle down.  Most people here don’t know Mr. Langford personally and neither do I, but this new evidence shows that this wasn’t about character or community, it was all about the cash. I can’t say I wouldn’t do the same as a father, but I certainly wouldn’t have subjected my son to that over the top announcement if I was on the Adidas payroll.

If they did not care about the community of New Albany, Romeo would have went to one of  those basketball factory prep schools.  Going to prep school would have gotten Romeo even more publicity like a lot of the top players do but they chose to stay in New Albany.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

If they did not care about the community of New Albany, Romeo would have went to one of  those basketball factory prep schools.  Going to prep school would have gotten Romeo even more publicity like a lot of the top players do but they chose to stay in New Albany.

Wow, so he stayed at his HS?  Such a sacrifice for the community.

People realize everything here is legal correct? People realize that IF you believe the article...it reads nothing about Romeo to IU. It says Romeo to Adidas. Again...LEGAL. Using Pitino as a credible guy?

I see some fans from other schools chirping just a little here and there. Most know there's nothing to see here. The remaining 1% I would l say to them "some people are so far behind they actually think they're leading the race"...

Just now, Seeking6 said:

People realize everything here is legal correct? People realize that IF you believe the article...it reads nothing about Romeo to IU. It says Romeo to Adidas. Again...LEGAL. Using Pitino as a credible guy?

I see some fans from other schools chirping just a little here and there. Most know there's nothing to see here. The remaining 1% I would l say to them "some people are so far behind they actually think they're leading the race"...

I 100% realize it’s legal.  My issue was how they have this huge announcement with pastors rambling about character and in the background Tim is collecting checks.  It shows poorly on him, and I can guarantee you he is pissed off that this was made public

2 minutes ago, hoosier10 said:

I 100% realize it’s legal.  My issue was how they have this huge announcement with pastors rambling about character and in the background Tim is collecting checks.  It shows poorly on him, and I can guarantee you he is pissed off that this was made public

Collecting checks for the aau team.. yes, you are correct. How this is categorized (by some) as immoral I'll never know.

6 minutes ago, hoosier10 said:

If Tim didn't do it someone else would have done it.  You realize that, right?  Literally someone had to do it to operate whatever AAU team Romeo played on.  Every single AAU team needs funding.

12 minutes ago, hoosier10 said:

Wow, so he stayed at his HS?  Such a sacrifice for the community.

You have no idea how important that decision was for the community.  And, it effectively took Duke out of the mix, which was significant for IU.  I dont like the whole shoe company angle, but it does not impact how I feel about Romeo.  Kid is first class all the way.  

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Collecting checks for the aau team.. yes, you are correct. How this is categorized (by some) as immoral I'll never know.

I’m not questioning legality- good for him profiting off his son, like I said can’t say I wouldn’t have done the same.  My big and ONLY issue is his dad sets up a lengthy announcement centered on character, community, and faith when he’s collecting huge pay days from Adidas.  If it was a short normal announcement without all the fluff I wouldn’t say a word about this, but don’t preach at people when you're making questionable decisions on your sons behalf.  If this was a UK or PU recruit everyone on this board would say 150K from Nike to the father of said recruit looks bad.  Don’t lie to yourselves because it’s Romeo.

How the shoe companies underwrite or subsidize AAU clubs is unrelated to the NCAA or individual schools.  If and when a college coach gets involved with the dealings only then does it come under NCAA rules.  All of this is made muddy by the fact that those same shoe companies have deals with individual schools.

In this particular case everything regarding the Langfords and their AAU team was legal and public. How the NCAA could control or police such practices seems like a sticky wicket, not to mention beyond their purview.   Now if Addidas were giving (impermissible) benefits to Langford, the NCAA could and should act - but there's nothing to suggest anything close to that occurred.

I took a look at the PU board, and of course they have a thread about it.  Naturally they take the massive leap of believing that this proves that something illegal happened with the recruitment of Romeo (with no facts other than it involves the school they wish they were).  My favorite comment on there is that because Romeo chose IU because of Addidas, it means Archie isn't much of a factor in the decision.  They really fear that CAM may be the coach many of us believe him to be.

1 minute ago, hoosier10 said:

I’m not questioning legality- good for him profiting off his son, like I said can’t say I wouldn’t have done the same.  My big and ONLY issue is his dad sets up a lengthy announcement centered on character, community, and faith when he’s collecting huge pay days from Adidas.  If it was a short normal announcement without all the fluff I wouldn’t say a word about this, but don’t preach at people when you're making questionable decisions on your sons behalf.  If this was a UK or PU recruit everyone on this board would say 150K from Nike to the father of said recruit looks bad.  Don’t lie to yourselves because it’s Romeo.

So your positfion is that doing something perfectly legal is a sign of poor character.  

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

So your positfion is that doing something perfectly legal is a sign of poor character.  

Perfectly legal yes.  Does it raise eyebrows-  hell yes. Especially in today’s climate and the ongoing FBI investigation.  The announcement was very preachy and after reading about this, I don’t think Tim Langford was in any place to preach about character. That’s all.

2 minutes ago, hoosier10 said:

He didn't make a questionable decision. He took advantage of an opportunity.

When you file you taxes with your accountant, do you tell him or her to get you as little back as possible? Or do you tell them to get every legal dollar back that they can?

Everything Tim did was legal. You can argue morality all you want, but you have no idea how much the Langfords got, profited, donated, etc. All we know is Romeo is a fantastic, grounded kid, and Tim let Romeo make his decision. We said before he chose, that IU made the most sense.

58 minutes ago, hoosier10 said:

Tim Langford so classy and full of character.  Hahaha.  Guy is a total fraud riding on his son’s coattails

God forbid, someone other than IHSAA, schools, coaches, etc. cash in on his family.  He raised a high character kid, so he can't be that bad.  I have mixed opinions on paying college players, but I definitely think they should be able to cash in on their likeness through other avenues, including shoes, autographs, etc.  There is nothing illegal here, so there is nothing to put anyone's character in question. 

3 minutes ago, ephul said:

He didn't make a questionable decision. He took advantage of an opportunity.

When you file you taxes with your accountant, do you tell him or her to get you as little back as possible? Or do you tell them to get every legal dollar back that they can?

Everything Tim did was legal. You can argue morality all you want, but you have no idea how much the Langfords got, profited, donated, etc. All we know is Romeo is a fantastic, grounded kid, and Tim let Romeo make his decision. We said before he chose, that IU made the most sense.

So taking enough money from Adidas that a national article gets written about you and could potentially damage your son’s reputation isn’t questionable.  Gotcha. He knew the repercussions from his actions, but Tim saw dollar signs and took advantage of the opportunity.  It’s totally legal, but again don’t preach to me about character when you’re doing these kinds of dealings.

13 minutes ago, hoosier10 said:

A. Romeo signed autographs for hours upon hours of his own time.. idc if the announcement was still going on, he earned it. It was 35 mins who cares?

B. I wouldn't give a crap about UK or PU recruits. 

C. This is high character family that played by the rules. Sorry an aau team needs funding to operate? Lol there was nothing questionable about his decision. 

C. You're off base here 

3 minutes ago, hoosier10 said:

So taking enough money from Adidas that a national article gets written about you and could potentially damage your son’s reputation isn’t questionable.  Gotcha. He knew the repercussions from his actions, but Tim saw dollar signs and took advantage of the opportunity.  It’s totally legal, but again don’t preach to me about character when you’re doing these kinds of dealings.

This dollar sign stuff is laughable at best lol Tim didn't get rich off this. It funded an aau team. He didnt pocket this money. In fact, he used that money to help Romeo and teammates. Wow what a "fraud" lol 

7 minutes ago, hoosier10 said:

It's an article because a high profile coach in the middle of an FBI investigation is bitching and trying to cover his ass by saying he never did anything wrong and using this as an example. That's why it's an article.

What about the kids that play on Tim's AAU team? Is it fair for those kids to get exposure based on Romeo's attention/public status? They are taking advantage of Romeo's fame, and damnit, it's just not fair.

Archived