Sampson to Magic?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting.  One step ahead of the posse.

I believe Orlando’s GM or President is John Hammond who used to be Milwaukee’s GM when they drafted Giannis and traded for Khris Middleton.  Sampson was an assistant there if I recall correctly.  Maybe that was under Scottie Skiles?  

Thats a long way of saying that I think there may be a connection. 

30 minutes ago, hoosier10 said:

Orlando is a pathetic organization.  Perfect spot for our old buddy.

Ohhh mann, cause in hindsight - what Sampson did was so bad?

In comparison to a Pitino, UNCheat and so many other shady characters out there, what he did was nothing (also and ironically, it's legal to make phone calls now). 

20 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Interesting.  One step ahead of the posse.

I believe Orlando’s GM or President is John Hammond who used to be Milwaukee’s GM when they drafted Giannis and traded for Khris Middleton.  Sampson was an assistant there if I recall correctly.  Maybe that was under Scottie Skiles?  

Thats a long way of saying that I think there may be a connection. 

Popovich gave him the first 3rd chance and they other opportunities fell in line from there. Correct on Skiles.

6 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

Ohhh mann, cause in hindsight - what Sampson did was so bad?

In comparison to a Pitino, UNCheat and so many other shady characters out there, what he did was nothing (also and ironically, it's legal to make phone calls now). 

It was a rule at the time, he was more than well aware of the rule, and that’s why I don’t repect the guy.  Also, kids failing classes and drug tests constantly isn’t exactly a good look in hindsight😉.  Sounds like youre willing to overlook those things.  The bottom line is he was a horrible hire and screwed us over.  Was he as bad as Pitino, hell no, but I’m not going to avoid making a little joke at his expense.  Weird person to white knight for dont you think?

12 minutes ago, hoosier10 said:

It was a rule at the time, he was more than well aware of the rule, and that’s why I don’t repect the guy.  Also, kids failing classes and drug tests constantly isn’t exactly a good look in hindsight😉.  Sounds like youre willing to overlook those things.  The bottom line is he was a horrible hire and screwed us over.  Was he as bad as Pitino, hell no, but I’m not going to avoid making a little joke at his expense.  Weird person to white knight for dont you think?

Honestly, the texting is not what annoys me about Sampson.  It's the quality of kids he brought to Bloomington and the lack of classroom discipline he enforced on them.  Agree...in retrospect...the texting seems like small potatoes even though, yes...a rule is a rule.

Though I believe Sampson is a good coach.  I have no use for him.  First basketball coach to bring sanctions to IU.  And only the second time since football in the 1950's. 

Sampson brought drug users to campus. And attempted to look the other way, while many of those drug users failed to go to class, while racking up 19 F's in one semester.  Which resulted in IU giving up scholarships, to avoid further punishment.

And all this. After promising to IU fans at his first Hoosier Hysteria, that what he did at Oklahoma would not happen again at IU.  Not only did he break his promise to us. But Sampson went beyond, allowing miscreants into the proud program and history, that Coach Knight so strongly defended against.  I have no use for the way Knight has conducted himself in terms of IU, since his firing..... however I will stand proud of what Coach Knight did to establish IU as a winner that did it the right way.  No, in just one season.... Sampson tore down, all that Bobby spent years to build up.  No use for Sampson, regardless of where he winds up.... other than in.... 

33 minutes ago, hoosier10 said:

I get it - it’s was a rule and failing drug tests is a bad look....I agree. However, does failing drug tests mean that crean is somewhat “pathetic” for having multiple players fail drug tests as well as get arrested under his watch? 

1 minute ago, Hoosier987 said:

I get it - it’s was a rule and failing drug tests is a bad look. However, does failing drug tests mean that crean is somewhat “pathetic” for having multiple players fail drug tests as well as get arrested under his watch? - in hindsight that’s got to be a bad look probably even moreso considering the arrests 😉

When did I say anything about Crean?  Why are you directing this away from Sampson?  I said the Magic are pathetic therefore I highly doubt Sampson wins there.  Spin it however you want it, and again what a strange person to white knight for.

1 minute ago, hoosier10 said:

When did I say anything about Crean?  Why are you directing this away from Sampson?  I said the Magic are pathetic therefore I highly doubt Sampson wins there.  Spin it however you want it, and again what a strange person to white knight for.

10-4. Maybe I misunderstood in your first comment. 

No white knight, just conversing 

12 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

I get it - it’s was a rule and failing drug tests is a bad look....I agree. However, does failing drug tests mean that crean is somewhat “pathetic” for having multiple players fail drug tests as well as get arrested under his watch? 

BIg difference, in my opinion.  Sampson tried to hide the failed tests.  Until Dakich forced him into a series of sitting out of games, due to the failed drug tests.  Would never have happened, if not for Dak.  Not a fan of Dak right now. But at the time, he did the right thing. Otherwise, Sampson would have never done anything. As he said when the players failed to show after Chicago... and told Dak, after Dak asked him what he intended to do......" I'm just glad they showed up."

Crean, on the other hand never attempted to hide the issues.  In fact, visited one of his players in the hospital. 

19 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Sampson brought drug users to campus. 

They were college kids that liked to smoke pot.  Let’s not call them “drug users”. C’mon Colorado man you should know better.  I’ll bet you Archie is bringing in kids that like to smoke- it’s just the way it is.  I’d rather have my kid using weed over drinking alcohol any day of the week- so many less dangers.  

As athletes though they need to be smarter and can’t act like a normal college student that can light/vape/dab/eat up whenever they want.  Hopefully the guys Archie is bringing in are smart about it.  

3 minutes ago, hoosier10 said:

They were college kids that liked to smoke pot.  Let’s not call them “drug users”. C’mon Colorado man you should know better.  I’ll bet you Archie is bringing in kids that like to smoke- it’s just the way it is.  I’d rather have my kid using weed over drinking alcohol any day of the week- so many less dangers.  

As athletes though they need to be smarter and can’t act like a normal college student that can light/vape/dab/eat up whenever they want.  Hopefully the guys Archie is bringing in are smart about it.  

All I know is - I really like Archie, and I think he’s gonna do great things 👍

1 hour ago, hoosier10 said:

Yep.  Armon Bassett was a fine young man.  Just misunderstood.  :coffee:

24 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

10-4. Maybe I misunderstood in your first comment. 

No white knight, just conversing 

No worries- I was at IU during the Sampson to Crean transition, and I still hold a grudge against Sampson for ruining my college basketball experience.  Those first two Crean years weren’t exactly fun to witness firsthand

9 minutes ago, hoosier10 said:

Yeah, some got arrested for pot use.  However.... none other than Gordan said "drug use".  And that is what I based my comments on. 

Ex-Hoosier Eric Gordon: Drug use formed rift at Indiana

4 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Yeah, some got arrested for pot use.  However.... none other than Gordan said "drug use".  And that is what I based my comments on. 

Ex-Hoosier Eric Gordon: Drug use formed rift at Indiana

I was in the dorm next to them and never saw anything other than pot.  If they were blowing the white lady or some other drugs feel free to call them drug users.  Weed should be legalized ASAP everywhere.  Btw-  I’m not defending them, I’m defending pot- lol.

Just now, hoosier10 said:

I was in the dorm next to them and never saw anything other than pot.  If they were blowing the white lady or some other drugs feel free to call them drug users.  It should be legalized ASAP everywhere.  Btw-  I’m not defending them, I’m defending pot- lol.

I have no idea, what Eric considered a drug.  And though you were in the dorm next to them. I would have to think that Eric spent even more closer time with them.... and talked to them as well.  And he did not use any other term than drug user.

Now. I have never used marijuana. However, I will say to you and others.... I did vote for it's legalization in Colorado.  Strictly based on a legal consideration in terms of punishments, and use of police resources.... rather than the use itself. 

37 minutes ago, hoosier10 said:

It was illegal in Indiana and it cost them games due to failed drug test.  Also those same guys ended the season with 19 F's in the spring semester.

Archived