Sampson to Magic?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why do people feel the need to personally attack or take jabs at other posters.  We all have different personalities.  We all have different styles.  we all have different beliefs.  Does not mean that one approach is right and another is wrong.  If everyone on this board were the same, it would get pretty boring around here (unless everyone was like me, of course).  

Give it a rest.  Accept the fact we are all different.  And, enjoy the best board out there.

2 hours ago, hoosier10 said:

It was a rule at the time, he was more than well aware of the rule, and that’s why I don’t repect the guy.  Also, kids failing classes and drug tests constantly isn’t exactly a good look in hindsight😉.  Sounds like youre willing to overlook those things.  The bottom line is he was a horrible hire and screwed us over.  Was he as bad as Pitino, hell no, but I’m not going to avoid making a little joke at his expense.  Weird person to white knight for dont you think?

Those are all bad things, I guess, but far from the worst things done by an IU coach. 

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

Those are all bad things, I guess, but far from the worst things done by an IU coach. 

Yep.  I heard Phelps Darby was quite the renegade back in 1902.  Involved in Illegal horse trade and looking up the hoop skirts of women.  

2 hours ago, hoosier10 said:

They were college kids that liked to smoke pot.  Let’s not call them “drug users”. C’mon Colorado man you should know better.  I’ll bet you Archie is bringing in kids that like to smoke- it’s just the way it is.  I’d rather have my kid using weed over drinking alcohol any day of the week- so many less dangers.  

As athletes though they need to be smarter and can’t act like a normal college student that can light/vape/dab/eat up whenever they want.  Hopefully the guys Archie is bringing in are smart about it.  

I think the new rules say you take this to the Off Topic thread since the old illegal drugs vs alcohol debate is brewing. Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

I have no idea, what Eric considered a drug.  And though you were in the dorm next to them. I would have to think that Eric spent even more closer time with them.... and talked to them as well.  And he did not use any other term than drug user.

Now. I have never used marijuana. However, I will say to you and others.... I did vote for it's legalization in Colorado.  Strictly based on a legal consideration in terms of punishments, and use of police resources.... rather than the use itself. 

Knowing what I've heard about Eric....red bull should be illegal. Very well could be wrong but Eric is pretty focused and straight. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Before I say anything...are 10 and Mile old buddies? This comment to me seems like something a wise a-- would make. Unless of course they are old friends. 

I love all HSN members.  10 included.  Does not mean we always agree all the time.  That is what makes our site so great. Not every body marches to the same drum.  But I truly love all our members.  Admins as well. 

42 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I love all HSN members.  10 included.  Does not mean we always agree all the time.  That is what makes our site so great. Not every body marches to the same drum.  But I truly love all our members.  Admins as well. 

I love you too Mile . I love you all😘. In the end we’re all Hoosiers so that makes us one big dysfunctional family.  I just like to ruffle some feathers every once in a while- it’s nothing any of you should take too seriously. I respect the passion everyone here has for our university.  That’s something I know we all have in common despite our differences and makes me a daily visitor here.

Sampson would have raised a banner I think. Great coach, good recruiter, shady person in a shady businesss. I don’t regret the hire or hold any ill will towards him. We  danced with the devil and it didn’t work out and I respect that. That’s just me. Not a popular opinion but it’s mine.

11 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Honestly, the texting is not what annoys me about Sampson.  It's the quality of kids he brought to Bloomington and the lack of classroom discipline he enforced on them.  Agree...in retrospect...the texting seems like small potatoes even though, yes...a rule is a rule.

To add to this....I'm from Valpo and know for fact that both Scott Martin and Rob Hummel were very turned off by Sampson when he called them during a dead period.  While being heavily recruited by a lot of programs, they both said no other coaches broke this rule.  It was an immediate red flag to them that IU was not the place to go.  It may seem trivial now, but when recruits know you are breaking a rule that most other coaches follow, you are sending a message that your program cheats.  And judging by some of the characters Sampson brought in the few years that followed....I don't think his recruiting methods and player discipline issues were a coincidence.  

4 hours ago, ADegenerate said:

Sampson would have raised a banner I think. Great coach, good recruiter, shady person in a shady businesss. I don’t regret the hire or hold any ill will towards him. We  danced with the devil and it didn’t work out and I respect that. That’s just me. Not a popular opinion but it’s mine.

You don't regret the hire?  No offense but that's probably the most idiotic statement ever uttered on this board and considering some of the stuff I've said over the years that's quite an accomplishment. 

56 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

You don't regret the hire?  No offense but that's probably the most idiotic statement ever uttered on this board and considering some of the stuff I've said over the years that's quite an accomplishment. 

The hire and his actions are two different things. I didn't mind the actual hire either. Proven head coach, great track record of recruiting/results and because of his past actions you would think he would be the cleanest guy in the country.

Now his actions after the hire while being on probation and a target.....just mind boggling and for that I will always wince a tad when I see him on tv. Dirtier guys than him in our league and across NCAA hoops that haven't received a 1 year show cause let alone a 5 year show cause. He's paid his time.

Sampson was hired by an IU President with an agenda.  The agenda was to replace one minority HC with another. Nothing wrong with that, in and of itself. Sampson, and the President who hired him were members of NCAA committees. As a result, despite the stuff in Sampson's closet, IU went ahead and hired him.  Sampson promised that what was in his closet at Oklahoma would stay there.  He lied. He brought it to IU, and even more.  Had we had a different President.... Sampson would not have ever been hired by IU, because of what was in his closet. 

14 hours ago, Hoosier987 said:

Ohhh mann, cause in hindsight - what Sampson did was so bad?

In comparison to a Pitino, UNCheat and so many other shady characters out there, what he did was nothing (also and ironically, it's legal to make phone calls now). 

...like the next yr or 2 it became legal...

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Sampson was hired by an IU President with an agenda.  The agenda was to replace one minority HC with another. Nothing wrong with that, in and of itself. Sampson, and the President who hired him were members of NCAA committees. As a result, despite the stuff in Sampson's closet, IU went ahead and hired him.  Sampson promised that what was in his closet at Oklahoma would stay there.  He lied. He brought it to IU, and even more.  Had we had a different President.... Sampson would not have ever been hired by IU, because of what was in his closet. 

What is worse is that if the rumors were true that our coach could have been Beilein.

Archived