Sampson to Magic?

4 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Sampson was hired by an IU President with an agenda.  The agenda was to replace one minority HC with another. Nothing wrong with that, in and of itself. Sampson, and the President who hired him were members of NCAA committees. As a result, despite the stuff in Sampson's closet, IU went ahead and hired him.  Sampson promised that what was in his closet at Oklahoma would stay there.  He lied. He brought it to IU, and even more.  Had we had a different President.... Sampson would not have ever been hired by IU, because of what was in his closet. 

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

What is worse is that if the rumors were true that our coach could have been Beilein.

Or Matta.  Greenspan should've walked over that fiasco and immediately let everyone know what was really happening.   Herbert wouldn't have lasted a week.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

You don't regret the hire?  No offense but that's probably the most idiotic statement ever uttered on this board and considering some of the stuff I've said over the years that's quite an accomplishment. 

Nah, I don’t really believe in regrets. We knew exactly who we were getting into bed with. That 08 season was one of the very few that I went into thinking that we’ve actually got a shot at winning this year. Crean gave me that once. 92-93, the Gordon season, and Cody’s second year was the only three seasons where we really had a shot (obviously the 02 run puts a dent in that argument but you get the point).

2 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Or Matta.  Greenspan should've walked over that fiasco and immediately let everyone know what was really happening.   Herbert wouldn't have lasted a week.

I was lead to believe that we had Beilein all but signed. When Greenspan took the deal to Herbert he was told that he had to hire a minority coach. I was told Sampson was never on the original list of candidates.

1 hour ago, SteveS said:

I was lead to believe that we had Beilein all but signed. When Greenspan took the deal to Herbert he was told that he had to hire a minority coach. I was told Sampson was never on the original list of candidates.

Beilein is who Greenspan wanted.

6 hours ago, SteveS said:

Not sure if it's my rose-colored glasses, but my initial thought was phew...I think Beilein would have been a rock solid hire and better than Crean, but we would have never gotten Archie. Might be a bold claim, but I just love everything about the Archie hire so much. My bold claim....Archie > Beilein when the dust settles. 

Beilein has a real solid resume right now though, get to work Archie! 

Edit: I should note reading that was the first time I had heard Beilein could have been in our back pocket if we wanted him at the time.

35 minutes ago, ArchieBall13 said:

Not sure if it's my rose-colored glasses, but my initial thought was phew...I think Beilein would have been a rock solid hire and better than Crean, but we would have never gotten Archie. Might be a bold claim, but I just love everything about the Archie hire so much. My bold claim....Archie > Beilein when the dust settles. 

Beilein has a real solid resume right now though, get to work Archie! 

Edit: I should note reading that was the first time I had heard Beilein could have been in our back pocket if we wanted him at the time.

I like Archie as well but Beilein has been to two national championship games.

Archived