The Off-Topic Thread

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I have tried several varieties at different times but I've come to the conclusion that craft beer is not for me.  Just give me the cheap watered down stuff.

I’ll drink them here and there when I’m out, but the only craft beers I really enjoy are Upland Wheat, Three Floyd’s Gumballhead, and Spotted Cow.  Other than that, it’s Miller Lite only.

11 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I’ll drink them here and there when I’m out, but the only craft beers I really enjoy are Upland Wheat, Three Floyd’s Gumballhead, and Spotted Cow.  Other than that, it’s Miller Lite only.

Upland + Miller lite ftw. Oberon if I want something stronger and yuengling if I want to remember by drunken escapade in the Florida Keys.

6 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

Upland + Miller lite ftw. Oberon if I want something stronger and yuengling if I want to remember by drunken escapade in the Florida Keys.

I actually really like Bell’s Oberon as well.  Best bang for your buck at a crowded bar.  Yuengling is good too, just haven’t had the opportunity to drink it much.  I also don’t mind Coors Light, but Bud Light... nah

6 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I have tried several varieties at different times but I've come to the conclusion that craft beer is not for me.  Just give me the cheap watered down stuff.

Pretty much same here.

4-5 summers ago before they got wise Kilroy's in Broad Ripple sold Upland and Summer Shandy for $2/$3 per pint. I can drink those for awhile but need to switch at some point to CL. Craft beer is great and all but it cuts my out time by half. 

51 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

It appears our Recruiting board has been spammed.  Either that or Blue fell on his keyboard while making out with his cousin.

Which brings up the question which is better?  "Spam" or "Treat"?

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

It appears our Recruiting board has been spammed.  Either that or Blue fell on his keyboard while making out with his cousin.

Looking at all the university names in those posts, I just figured HTD got his hands on Rosetta Stone.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Pretty much same here.

4-5 summers ago before they got wise Kilroy's in Broad Ripple sold Upland and Summer Shandy for $2/$3 per pint. I can drink those for awhile but need to switch at some point to CL. Craft beer is great and all but it cuts my out time by half. 

I'll be up in BR this weekend. Love the Brothers there. 

8 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I'm about half and half. I don't really necessarily know what constitutes a "craft beer" exactly though lol 

At the end of the day... give me Busch Light and we're good to go. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I'll be up in BR this weekend. Love the Brothers there. 

Used to go there years ago. Last time there was actually my last time there (after saying that for years). Wife and I were riding on Monon stopped in for a late afternoon beer and food before ride back. Saturday afternoon. I'd say about 10 people in there and I was turned away because I had basketball shorts on and my hat on backwards. I couldn't stop laughing at the dude saying I couldn't come in.

Usually pretty good drink specials, service is hit or miss...but plenty of other places along Monon and elsewhere to go. With that said. Have fun! BR is always fun until about 9 or 10...vibe changes fast. 

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Used to go there years ago. Last time there was actually my last time there (after saying that for years). Wife and I were riding on Monon stopped in for a late afternoon beer and food before ride back. Saturday afternoon. I'd say about 10 people in there and I was turned away because I had basketball shorts on and my hat on backwards. I couldn't stop laughing at the dude saying I couldn't come in.

Usually pretty good drink specials, service is hit or miss...but plenty of other places along Monon and elsewhere to go. With that said. Have fun! BR is always fun until about 9 or 10...vibe changes fast. 

Seriously? This is Indy not New York; I didn't realize our bars turned people away for their clothes. Especially in the scenario, you described. That's insane. 

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

Seriously? This is Indy not New York; I didn't realize our bars turned people away for their clothes. Especially in the scenario, you described. That's insane. 

Several places in Broad Ripple have been that way for at least a decade. Few shootings and multiple people who get robbed each weekend for years will make the bar owners try anything to keep certain crowds away. 

Just the other night 3 guys were leaving 61st and Monon...car pulls up...guys got pistol whipped when they wouldn't give their code to unlock phone. Most of the time that news stays out of the paper. 

That's why Downtown, Fountain Square, Mass Ave...other areas in Broad Ripple, Downtown Carmel, Keystone have more people. Broad Ripple is great during the day. After dark it goes sideways...or at least it can. Especially in warmer weather. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Several places in Broad Ripple have been that way for at least a decade. Few shootings and multiple people who get robbed each weekend for years will make the bar owners try anything to keep certain crowds away. 

Just the other night 3 guys were leaving 61st and Monon...car pulls up...guys got pistol whipped when they wouldn't give their code to unlock phone. Most of the time that news stays out of the paper. 

That's why Downtown, Fountain Square, Mass Ave...other areas in Broad Ripple, Downtown Carmel, Keystone have more people. Broad Ripple is great during the day. After dark it goes sideways...or at least it can. Especially in warmer weather. 

I understand the crime in certain areas, I just didn't realize our bars were so stuffy as to turn away people for dress code. Especially bars located near the Monon that would get a lot of traffic from people on bike rides and/or runs. 

45 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I understand the crime in certain areas, I just didn't realize our bars were so stuffy as to turn away people for dress code. Especially bars located near the Monon that would get a lot of traffic from people on bike rides and/or runs. 

I don't like saying it but changes needed to be made. Still do. I don't think dress code was anything more than lip service....but Broad Ripple during the day is awesome still. At night walking around? It's on the individual if they choose to walk down side streets or that bridge by fire station. ...or head South by the old BW3 and Kroger. 

It's been a problem for years. Like I said...still a great place, food, drinks, for the most part the people up until 10 or so.....but the criminals do come out and why not? If I was a criminal I'd target the area. Drunk kids with phones/money/atm cards that work...

10 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I don't like saying it but changes needed to be made. Still do. I don't think dress code was anything more than lip service....but Broad Ripple during the day is awesome still. At night walking around? It's on the individual if they choose to walk down side streets or that bridge by fire station. ...or head South by the old BW3 and Kroger. 

It's been a problem for years. Like I said...still a great place, food, drinks, for the most part the people up until 10 or so.....but the criminals do come out and why not? If I was a criminal I'd target the area. Drunk kids with phones/money/atm cards that work...

The bridge people remind me of something out of A Clockwork Orange.

image.png.17bf63f6bb75787edc54d1932452caa7.png

Young man working at Meijers asked me if I needed help finding what I needed in the light bulb aisle. When I said that I needed a 3-way, he looked at me a little strangely.

Archived