The Off-Topic Thread

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

A coach getting the best players available every recruiting class? Shocking. News at 11. Sorry Carter family. Head to Hofstra if you don't want competition. Otherwise...please just shut up. 

Its obvious coach K is made out to be a liar in the minds of 2 players and their families. Its ok to have competition but you do not recruit 2 players to be the focal point of the team.  For some, its lying, others - disingenuous, I want all of these players that are calling coach K a liar or worse to come forward, so long as they are not the ones lying.

At first, when Duke had that Lance Thomas debacle, I though, meh, its Duke and coach K and they are clean....

Then there was (you have to pay $3.95 for it now or I can look at it for free on my phone) the article written by Mark Murphy and published May 1st in the Boston Herald regarding the Ojeleye's being lied to by coach K.

Now we have the Carter family coming forward with a very similar story.

Reading the article, it was not about the competition, it was about being lied to.

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Follow up to this. Vitale tweeted some things and Wendell Carter jumped in and they went back and forth. Respectful and polite discourse but Carter basically saying reporter didn't report all the story. Haha...

Not really that he didn't report all the story...he flat out said the reporter reported things that his mom didn't say.

Former Purdue player Basil Smotherman is currently in the Hamilton County jail on a probation violation. Did some research on him and he has been arrested three times since 2016. The most recent one this month for resisting and possession. Has had charges of possession, resisting, domestic battery, criminal mischief, and speeding. Was supposed to have been a grad transfer at Georgia St. for coach Ron Hunter last season but never made it to practice. Hopefully he gets his life turned around.

Tomorrow is a very, very big day for former IU football player Nick Stoner (and 2 others) and quite honestly anyone who uses Fanduel or Draftkings. Supreme Court in Indiana hearing arguments that will impact legal sports betting nationwide, using players likeness,etc...

As much as I am not a soccer fan, the WC has been entertaining and I would love to take a month off 8 years from now and just have an extended party. Fans look like they are having a blast.

Not the next cycle. Four years from now, Qatar holds no attraction for me. 

W-O-W...Arkansas just gave away the game in the CWS...had a pop-up in foul territory that would have ended the CWS fall in the middle of three fielders who flat-out were not communicating.

You guessed it...three runs scored after that missed opportunity and now they bat in the bottom of the 9th down 5-3.

EDIT:  ...and...they lost the game.  They were literally a catch away from winning the CWS.  Now they play a rubber game for all the marbles...stay tuned...

9 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

W-O-W...Arkansas just gave away the game in the CWS...had a pop-up in foul territory that would have ended the CWS fall in the middle of three fielders who flat-out were not communicating.

You guessed it...three runs scored after that missed opportunity and now they bat in the bottom of the 9th down 5-3.

EDIT:  ...and...they lost the game.  They were literally a catch away from winning the CWS.  Now they play a rubber game for all the marbles...stay tuned...

Saw that missed pop up. That was the 2B ball to get and he over ran it.

12 hours ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

As much as I am not a soccer fan, the WC has been entertaining and I would love to take a month off 8 years from now and just have an extended party. Fans look like they are having a blast.

Not the next cycle. Four years from now, Qatar holds no attraction for me. 

Funny story out of the World Cup from yesterday. Mexico should have been eliminated. They got crushed. But amazingly Korea downs defending champ Germany, which absolutely never loses out in the opening round, but did (they're gone), 0-2. Korea's win allowed Mexico to advance. Per the guys on NBA radio, the Mexican Embassy sent the Korean Embassy something like 50 cases of beer. And after the Mexico game, Mexican fans were carrying Korean fans around on their shoulders. 

3 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Funny story out of the World Cup from yesterday. Mexico should have been eliminated. They got crushed. But amazingly Korea downs defending champ Germany, which absolutely never loses out in the opening round, but did (they're gone), 0-2. Korea's win allowed Mexico to advance. Per the guys on NBA radio, the Mexican Embassy sent the Korean Embassy something like 50 cases of beer. And after the Mexico game, Mexican fans were carrying Korean fans around on their shoulders. 

Admittedly, I am learning the intricacies of soccer and how the World Cup works. Just read that Japan advances from their group over Senegal due to the "Fair Play Rule." Japan had two less yellow cards assessed to them than did Senegal. That is crazy!  From what I have watched of this tournament, the reffing is not consistent, with some refs giving a lot of leeway to the physicality of the game and others none whatsoever. 

Could you imagine if IU's tournament eligibility was dependent on how many fouls TV Ted called on us in a given game?

17 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Admittedly, I am learning the intricacies of soccer and how the World Cup works. Just read that Japan advances from their group over Senegal due to the "Fair Play Rule." Japan had two less yellow cards assessed to them than did Senegal. That is crazy!  From what I have watched of this tournament, the reffing is not consistent, with some refs giving a lot of leeway to the physicality of the game and others none whatsoever. 

Could you imagine if IU's tournament eligibility was dependent on how many fouls TV Ted called on us in a given game?

It's amazing that it came to that. Apparently in the past they would flip a coin, or have a 'drawing of lots'.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/soccer/worldcup/2018/06/28/senegal-japan-tiebreaker-fair-play-world-cup/742176002/

5 hours ago, IUaic said:

Saw that missed pop up. That was the 2B ball to get and he over ran it.

He was there but his angle was not as good. Right fielder should have called for it. If they lose the rubber game, they can point to that play as costing them the championship. Crazy.

11 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

He was there but his angle was not as good. Right fielder should have called for it. If they lose the rubber game, they can point to that play as costing them the championship. Crazy.

Damn right(no pun intended).  The outfielder should always call off the infielder.  Hope Arky wins the rubber game.  

Archived