The Off-Topic Thread

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Wow, I can't believe there is anyone who can try to justify Meyers involvement in this case.  To me there is no way he did not know what was going on and he should have took action right when he found out about the abuse.  I don't care if the guy was never convicted of a crime because what he did was inexcusable.  A person could get off from a murder charge but that does not mean I would hire the guy to work for me.

You think there is no way he didn't know about it, and the lady that was abused said in her interview yesterday she doesn't even know for sure if Urban knew.

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My question is this.  Husbands and Wives cannot be forced to testify against each other, its very similar to Dr Patient Lawyer Client privilege.  IF she did tell him, could he be covered by this with the expectation of spousal confidentiality.  I do see them firing her for not reporting it as a mandatory reporter.  But is he required being told by her?  If in fact she did tell him.  Can't assume he know with actually knowing the facts

5 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

My question is this.  Husbands and Wives cannot be forced to testify against each other, its very similar to Dr Patient Lawyer Client privilege.  IF she did tell him, could he be covered by this with the expectation of spousal confidentiality.  I do see them firing her for not reporting it as a mandatory reporter.  But is he required being told by her?  If in fact she did tell him.  Can't assume he know with actually knowing the facts

https://sports.yahoo.com/urban-meyers-loyalty-may-prove-downfall-222900080.html

In 2009, at the age of 24, he was charged with felony assault for abusing his then-pregnant wife, Courtney. She later dropped the charges, in part, she said, because Earle Bruce told her it would cost Zach his career. Meyer decided to keep Smith on staff and even eventually promote him.

It’s almost unfathomable that any coach, or boss in any line of work, would be so forgiving of what is essentially an intern.

“It was a very young couple, and I saw a very talented coach and we moved forward,” Meyer said.

What also appears real is that Smith never changed his ways. His marriage with Courtney produced two children and repeated interactions with law enforcement. That included the night in 2015 that Courtney alleged Zach strangled her and threw her against a wall as their then-5-year-old son and 3-year-old daughter clung to her legs.

She reported that, including photos of her injuries to authorities as well as Urban Meyer’s wife Shelley, among others. Shelley Meyer expressed concern, continually reached out in support and declared of Zach, “he scares me.”

There are no assumptions here. People can bend over backwards to try to frame it as Urban didn't know. But it is plainly obvious that he did.

2 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

In 2009, at the age of 24, he was charged with felony assault for abusing his then-pregnant wife, Courtney. She later dropped the charges, in part, she said, because Earle Bruce told her it would cost Zach his career. Meyer decided to keep Smith on staff and even eventually promote him.

It’s almost unfathomable that any coach, or boss in any line of work, would be so forgiving of what is essentially an intern.

“It was a very young couple, and I saw a very talented coach and we moved forward,” Meyer said.

What also appears real is that Smith never changed his ways. His marriage with Courtney produced two children and repeated interactions with law enforcement. That included the night in 2015 that Courtney alleged Zach strangled her and threw her against a wall as their then-5-year-old son and 3-year-old daughter clung to her legs.

She reported that, including photos of her injuries to authorities as well as Urban Meyer’s wife Shelley, among others. Shelley Meyer expressed concern, continually reached out in support and declared of Zach, “he scares me.”

There are no assumptions here. People can bend over backwards to try to frame it as Urban didn't know. But it is plainly obvious that he did.

No on is bending over backwards and util proven guilty i assume he is innocent.  I also assume he knew.

That wasn't the gist of my post.  My post was asking about the husband wife confidentiality that is used in Dr. Patient, Lawyer Client, etc.  So if she told him, is he expected to keep the confidence or report it.  I don't know the law.  And obviously he should have reported anyone who hits a woman.  But i am asking about legality things

3 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

No on is bending over backwards and util proven guilty i assume he is innocent.  I also assume he knew.

That wasn't the gist of my post.  My post was asking about the husband wife confidentiality that is used in Dr. Patient, Lawyer Client, etc.  So if she told him, is he expected to keep the confidence or report it.  I don't know the law.  And obviously he should have reported anyone who hits a woman.  But i am asking about legality things

Spousal privilege matters when you are asked to incriminate your spouse. Not a third party. Also, that has nothing to do with an investigation outside the court of law by Ohio State.

30 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

I mean, I agree that I am fairly certain Urban knew. But you've got to have some evidence that he did or should have to fire him. I think we'll get it. 

1 hour ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Regardless of him getting fired, the 2009 incident is enough to know the content of Urban's character.

Yes. But I do not know of anyone who knows much about Urban who thinks much of him. He's repeatedly demonstrated himself to be a piece of human waste. 

I don't care about him lying to the media. The issue to me is only this. He has continued to employ a guy (until recently)   who has 2 domestic violence issues that we know of. I don't care if Zach Smith is Earl Bruce's grandson. Guess what./....he's gone.

By Urban continuing to allow him stay employed says all I need about Urban. 

3 hours ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Urban's wife works for the university. If she did not divulge what Courtney Smith told her, then she is in violation of Title IX.

That's a fact, Jack.  Err. I mean Jerry.

Truly great to see a post from you again.  I mean that.  We are all entitled to our opinions.  And I respect yours as much as others.  Glad, again to see you posting. 

4 hours ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Urban's wife works for the university. If she did not divulge what Courtney Smith told her, then she is in violation of Title IX.

And the plot thickens.

Tune in tomorrow for another exciting episode of "A worthless nut".

To me, it sounds like Meyer may have reported this as he says. Why else would this assistant be called off the recruiting trail to discuss the allegations? The AD may end up looking every bit as bad. No question that Meyer's changing story doesn't look good but if he actually reported this to Gene Smith three years ago...

Report or didn't report....to me the focus should be on this. Urban Meyer has made the decision to employ someone he knows not once, but twice been in trouble for domestic violence. And those are the only ones we know about it. All the other stuff is just spin, deflection, and assigning blame. 

Urban Meyer has made the decision to employ this guy. For that alone he should be fired. Now if he did report and Gene Smith says we'll handle...well Gene you can start finding a new job too. There is no gray area for me on a couple issues...pedophilia and domestic violence. 

Archived