The Off-Topic Thread

One very large caveat to the 'going undrafted and returning to school' thing is that it only applies to players that were invited to the Combine.  That was only 7 players from this last draft class  Guys that declare, don't get invited to the combine, cannot return,

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Another caveat -- The brilliant NCAA didn't bother to check with the NBA when it decided on and then announced these proposed changes. The NBA, per current reports, is not happy and not on board.

Query: What other institutions are run as poorly as the NCAA?

The United States government.

14 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Another caveat -- The brilliant NCAA didn't bother to check with the NBA when it decided on and then announced these proposed changes. The NBA, per current reports, is not happy and not on board.

Query: What other institutions are run as poorly as the NCAA?

As a fan of both the NCAA and NBA, I really don't have a problem with them not checking, only because it is not like the NBA checked with the NCAA when they did the one and done rule or any other rule that affects college basketball.  While the NCAA caused some of their current issues, it really stems from the one and done rule and even the NFL's can't draft someone unless they are a Junior in college (or whatever it is).  This caused more people who had no business going to college to go.  If they wanted more control, they should invest more into or start their own minor league system, instead of freeloading off the college basketball and football, which is what they do.

Regarding yesterday announcement I guess the one thing I'll be very interested to follow is which schools elect to certify agents and which agents get certified. To me that could be very telling on where some of the past corruption has been. 

For example if our man South of the Ohio immediately certifies 3 agents for his kids.....if I'm the NCAA I start sniffing around a bit in the agents past. 

17 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Regarding yesterday announcement I guess the one thing I'll be very interested to follow is which schools elect to certify agents and which agents get certified. To me that could be very telling on where some of the past corruption has been. 

For example if our man South of the Ohio immediately certifies 3 agents for his kids.....if I'm the NCAA I start sniffing around a bit in the agents past. 

This how the agent rule goes......

Another ballyhooed rule change from the NCAA: Collegiate players will be permitted to hire an agent after the completion of each collegiate season. The NCAA also extended that rule change for agent representation to "elite" high school prospects (as identified by USA Basketball); those elite high school players will be allowed to hire an agent starting on July 1 before their senior year of high school.

Sorry if I missed it already posted but former East Chicago star Junior Bridgeman, who is reportedly worth some $600 million, is in talks to buy Sports Illustrated, amongst other bidders.  Junior had a tremendous athletic career, playing with Pete Trgovich (UCLA) and Tim Stoddard ( mlb star) on one of the great high school teams in Indiana history.  He went on to a nice college career at Louisville and was picked eighth overall in the NBA draft.  He had a notable NBA career.   But, he’s been even better as a truly brilliant businessman.  

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/louisville/2018/08/05/junior-bridgeman-sports-illustrated-bid-louisville-basketball/910134002/

This book link references Junior and how he had already committed to Louisville when Coach Knight arrived.  

https://books.google.com/books?id=Wk_rW5ls5ZMC&pg=PA87&lpg=PA87&dq=did+iu+recruit+junior+bridgeman&source=bl&ots=EY3Etpf1T8&sig=xjcFPRqWSbZIWtBuAFf_eEpAg6A&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj5pOri8d3cAhURSq0KHe9gAkkQ6AEwBXoECAQQAQ#v=onepage&q=did iu recruit junior bridgeman&f=false

5 hours ago, IUALUM03 said:

As a fan of both the NCAA and NBA, I really don't have a problem with them not checking, only because it is not like the NBA checked with the NCAA when they did the one and done rule or any other rule that affects college basketball.  While the NCAA caused some of their current issues, it really stems from the one and done rule and even the NFL's can't draft someone unless they are a Junior in college (or whatever it is).  This caused more people who had no business going to college to go.  If they wanted more control, they should invest more into or start their own minor league system, instead of freeloading off the college basketball and football, which is what they do.

This article tells the story of how the NCAA blindsided both the NBA and USA basketball. http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24324859/ncaa-new-proposed-rules-blindside-nba-usa-basketball-officials

It was a dumb move.

14 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

K State knows what their football program was like both before he got there and after he retired the first time.

10 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Good news.  If you want more 'likes', you can now apparently like your own posts.  I can now get rid of the other 5 screen names I created for that purpose.  

How in the world did you stumble onto that?  Never mind, I see the icon on my posts.

Archived