The Off-Topic Thread

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think deer are some of the dumbest damned animals on the planet.  Just had one kamikazi out of the woods and right into the side of my car in broad daylight.  I did everything but run completely off the road trying to avoid it.

Of course it managed to destroy both driver side doors...😕

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

I think deer are some of the dumbest damned animals on the planet.  Just had one kamikazi out of the woods and right into the side of my car in broad daylight.  I did everything but run completely off the road trying to avoid it.

Of course it managed to destroy both driver side doors...😕

Have had several interactions with deer over the years. Could not agree with you more.

The one that stands out the most..... After spending a day in the mountains fishing with my brother-in-law, several years ago.... we headed back to Denver in his four wheel truck. It was just getting dusk.  And he asked me to watch out for deer as we headed over Vail pass on I-70.  Just as I bent over to get him a cup of coffee, a deer jumped out in front of the truck. I never saw the deer.   We were going 80, which was probably a good thing.   The deer was there, and then gone in a flash.  We felt nothing but wondered what happened to the deer. It was there, and gone in a flash. We continued on for perhaps a half mile or so, until the truck started to over steam.  Stopped.  Got out. And there was nothing left of the front end of the truck.  Had to leave it on the side of the road.

After about an hour trying to get someone to stop and give us a ride to a phone (before cell phones).. a trucker stopped and drove us into Dillon, Colorado. We spent an hour trying to get in touch with the local State Patrol office. To no avail.  So the trucker drove us back to Denver.

Next day.... the State Patrol calls my brother-in-law, telling him they are going to arrest him for leaving the scene of an accident ! He told them the story, but they were not convinced.

Then they called my wife... and she gave them hell.... telling them what really went on.... and they stopped the warrant for arrest, after talking to her. 

God bless a good woman...there's nothing more effective for getting a man in AND out of a jam than an angry woman.  If you don't believe it, google and watch Chris Rock's salty video "How not to get your @** kicked by the police".  It's too salty to link here, but if your ears are calloused enough, it's absolutely hilarious with a pretty good PSA in it.  I can still here the angry woman in it yelling "He got weed! He got weed!"

Meanwhile, the body shop pulled the driver door out far enough so I can raise and lower my window.  Estimating $5-6 grand in damages.  Body shop guy grinned and said deer are his favorite animals.

12 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

God bless a good woman...there's nothing more effective for getting a man in AND out of a jam than an angry woman.  If you don't believe it, google and watch Chris Rock's salty video "How not to get your @** kicked by the police".  It's too salty to link here, but if your ears are calloused enough, it's absolutely hilarious with a pretty good PSA in it.  I can still here the angry woman in it yelling "He got weed! He got weed!"

Meanwhile, the body shop pulled the driver door out far enough so I can raise and lower my window.  Estimating $5-6 grand in damages.  Body shop guy grinned and said deer are his favorite animals.

Getting back to the driver who drove us back to Denver.... and in relationship to your comment about the body shop man's favorite animals.  This driver had been a long haul driver for 27 years.  And he recounted story after story of hitting animals on the highway over that span of years.  Told us we were lucky that we were in a high profile truck, as he has seen many deer hit by cars that have gone into the windshield.  Driving a semi, he said there was only one animal that he feared hitting the most..... a pig !  Because, they are smaller, and compact.  And can roll a car or semi when hit head on. 

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Getting back to the driver who drove us back to Denver.... and in relationship to your comment about the body shop man's favorite animals.  This driver had been a long haul driver for 27 years.  And he recounted story after story of hitting animals on the highway over that span of years.  Told us we were lucky that we were in a high profile truck, as he has seen many deer hit by cars that have gone into the windshield.  Driving a semi, he said there was only one animal that he feared hitting the most..... a pig !  Because, they are smaller, and compact.  And can roll a car or semi when hit head on. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty6JPyr2XZ0

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

The Bambulance call...classic stuff!

Hilarious.  Thanks to MM for the contri.    One last thing from the Semi-driver. After a pig.... don't hit a horse head on, if you can avoid it.   Longer legs than a deer.  And the body is sure to come over the hood, and perhaps into the windshield depending on the speed you are going. 

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

Hilarious.  Thanks to MM for the contri.    One last thing from the Semi-driver. After a pig.... don't hit a horse head on, if you can avoid it.   Longer legs than a deer.  And the body is sure to come over the hood, and perhaps into the windshield depending on the speed you are going. 

Reminds me of this local accident in 2007.  They hit a horse and Mr. Clements died in the accident.  Big shock locally.

http://www.washtimesherald.com/news/local_news/clements-death-is-shock-to-business-community/article_0a959f82-2fdd-57b5-a6a4-1da2f4e8a301.html

Sad news. Nashville House is shutting down and closes 10/28. Fried biscuits and apple butter. As a kid born in Chicago but with Hoosier roots...it was always fun camping in Southern Indiana growing up. Our one normal meal that week was a trip to Nashville House. Sorry to hear the news.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Sad news. Nashville House is shutting down and closes 10/28. Fried biscuits and apple butter. As a kid born in Chicago but with Hoosier roots...it was always fun camping in Southern Indiana growing up. Our one normal meal that week was a trip to Nashville House. Sorry to hear the news.

Truly sad for me to hear. Like you. once drove from Colorado to the Midwest, and made a special side trip with two things on my agenda.  Show the family Brown County State Park, and have dinner at the Nashville House. 

17 minutes ago, Tiz10 said:

Looks like I missed part of the story...why isn't Bazley playing in the G league this year?  I've got ideas...just curious if anyone knows the actual reason.

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Looks like I missed part of the story...why isn't Bazley playing in the G league this year?  I've got ideas...just curious if anyone knows the actual reason.

Here’s what Boeheim had to say about it... as much as I dislike the guy, I’m sure he’s right about Bazley getting killed in the G League.  Hell, he got outplayed by our very own Jerome Hunter just last season.

But then again, hard to call his decision that much of a mistake now that he has a million dollar endorsement guaranteed.  Who knows how it’ll play out in the long run though.

B8BA29BF-2375-469D-9801-C460278E9A83.jpeg

3 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Here’s what Boeheim had to say about it... as much as I dislike the guy, I’m sure he’s right about Bazley getting killed in the G League.  Hell, he got outplayed by our very own Jerome Hunter just last season.

But then again, hard to call his decision that much of a mistake now that he has a million dollar endorsement guaranteed.  Who knows how it’ll play out in the long run though.

B8BA29BF-2375-469D-9801-C460278E9A83.jpeg

Yea a million dollars in the bank? If he's good enough he'll find a way to play in the league in the long run...if he's not? Well he's got a million dollar head start to figure out what he wants to do with his life.

Boeheim's comments look bad on him, granted I have limited knowledge on the situation. 

Archived