The Off-Topic Thread

30 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

History channel is running the "America the story of us" right now.  They are up to WWII.  Wish I'd recorded the whole thing...just fascinating.

Happy Independence day, everyone!

Watched it this year with my graders... so good. 

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Thought this would get more views here instead of on football page. Fred Glass was on Kent Sterling show. Hinted at alcohol coming to Memorial Stadium soon.

I saw/heard that.  I tried linking it to the football forum, as it was a reference to Memorial Stadium.  But my feeble computer skills prevented me from being able to link the podcast.  Personally, I took it as more than just a hint.  Mr. Glass pretty much saying it is only a matter of time.  One reason, is that he feels by able to sell beer at an IU football game, would help with what he said were untenable abuses on game day.  Kent and Fred talked about the revenue aspect as well.... with one beer costing $9.50. Mr. Glass talked about enhancing the overall experience as to why he would not stand in the way of beer sales.

Just to say.  I have no issue with this.  Colorado State (which has a beer made just for them) and Wyoming have been selling beer in the stands for years.  In fact, I went to a Wyoming football game last year.  Every member in our party passed the line to get  a wrist band to allow them to buy beer, except for me. I just did not feel the desire having already had my fill tailgating before the game.  There is a limit placed on the armband. And I never saw anyone out of control . 

One other thing.  The University of Colorado will no longer be playing basketball in the "Coors" event center.  Sponsorship has run out.  Just will be known for now, as the Colorado Events Center. And I suspect beer sales will continue.

Thanks so much for bringing our attention to this topic, Seeking 6.

Perhaps, someone more skilled than me, can link the podcast for all to hear.

4 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I saw/heard that.  I tried linking it to the football forum, as it was a reference to Memorial Stadium.  But my feeble computer skills prevented me from being able to link the podcast.  Personally, I took it as more than just a hint.  Mr. Glass pretty much saying it is only a matter of time.  One reason, is that he feels by able to sell beer at an IU football game, would help with what he said were untenable abuses on game day.  Kent and Fred talked about the revenue aspect as well.... with one beer costing $9.50. Mr. Glass talked about enhancing the overall experience as to why he would not stand in the way of beer sales.

Just to say.  I have no issue with this.  Colorado State (which has a beer made just for them) and Wyoming have been selling beer in the stands for years.  In fact, I went to a Wyoming football game last year.  Every member in our party passed the line to get  a wrist band to allow them to buy beer, except for me. I just did not feel the desire having already had my fill tailgating before the game.  There is a limit placed on the armband. And I never saw anyone out of control . 

One other thing.  The University of Colorado will no longer be playing basketball in the "Coors" event center.  Sponsorship has run out.  Just will be known for now, as the Colorado Events Center. And I suspect beer sales will continue.

Thanks so much for bringing our attention to this topic, Seeking 6.

Perhaps, someone more skilled than me, can link the podcast for all to hear.

http://kentsterling.com/2018/07/05/every-time-i-talk-to-iuhoosiers-ad-fred-glass-i-ask-about-beer-sales-today-i-got-a-different-answer-iufb-iubb/

Road construction.  Why does the state see the need to work on the same highway multiple times over roughly a 100 mile stretch.  Just throw all the labor to the same sttetch of road and get it done faster instead of putting drivers through 5 different sttetches of stop and go.

6 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Road construction.  Why does the state see the need to work on the same highway multiple times over roughly a 100 mile stretch.  Just throw all the labor to the same sttetch of road and get it done faster instead of putting drivers through 5 different sttetches of stop and go.

I think completing the I69 project has taken precedence over  everything.  The I69 route was supposed to go through my grandpa's farm 12 years ago. Thankfully they shifted the route. 

It is still not completed. 

I drive hwy 50 to work everyday.  3 years ago the sumbitches chip and sealed hwy 50. It was pretty risky driving for awhile until they fixed it.

20 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I think completing the I69 project has taken precedence over  everything.  The I69 route was supposed to go through my grandpa's farm 12 years ago. Thankfully they shifted the route. 

It is still not completed. 

I drive hwy 50 to work everyday.  3 years ago the sumbitches chip and sealed hwy 50. It was pretty risky driving for awhile until they fixed it.

Where do you drive on 50? I live on Hwy 50

I wasn't sure where to post this. Guess someone can start a new thread. Anyone hear about the brawl over the weekend with Chicago AAU team (Raw). Attacked official. Fight broke out next to a couple of teams from Indiana. Coach for RAW says he has proof officials were to blame....still waiting on that proof 3-4 hours later. 

I've never spent much time in the AAU world. Not my cup of tea from the few instances I was there in person. With that said. Some of these teams are just going to be shut down.  

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I wasn't sure where to post this. Guess someone can start a new thread. Anyone hear about the brawl over the weekend with Chicago AAU team (Raw). Attacked official. Fight broke out next to a couple of teams from Indiana. Coach for RAW says he has proof officials were to blame....still waiting on that proof 3-4 hours later. 

I've never spent much time in the AAU world. Not my cup of tea from the few instances I was there in person. With that said. Some of these teams are just going to be shut down.  

I was not aware.  However, I did find a Video.   Honestly can say, I have never seen anything like it. 

Madness: AAU Basketball Game Turns Into An All-Out Brawl Between Players And Referees! 

12 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I was not aware.  However, I did find a Video.   Honestly can say, I have never seen anything like it. 

Madness: AAU Basketball Game Turns Into An All-Out Brawl Between Players And Referees! 

Crazy scary stuff.  Perhaps Btown or another official can way in, I am of the opinion that a ref should (almost) never throw a punch.  As an official, its the duty to maintain control of the game, breaking up fights and more.  Throwing a punch means that you have lost all control.
I likely need more context than this video to find my above opinion relative to this crazy event.

1 hour ago, PoHoosier said:

Crazy scary stuff.  Perhaps Btown or another official can way in, I am of the opinion that a ref should (almost) never throw a punch.  As an official, its the duty to maintain control of the game, breaking up fights and more.  Throwing a punch means that you have lost all control.
I likely need more context than this video to find my above opinion relative to this crazy event.

Can't defend the actions of the players, but yeah...it's pretty apparent that the officials lost all control of the game when one started participating in the melee.

That's a pretty fair illustration of why a coach would wade into the Chicago recruiting scene veeeeery carefully.

7 hours ago, PoHoosier said:

With coaching AAU and officiating as well, I'll be honest..  I'm not going to watch the video. It will just p*** me off. In general, I would think an adult should go to extreme measures to insure they don't hit a minor. 

Also.. there are true, true idiots in aau. Coached a game about 3 weeks ago on a Sunday morning and every time I would say something like, "force your man left" or "we have to get a block out" or basically anything... the other coach fired back with a rebuttal, talking and looking directly at me saying things like "oh yeah.. force him left he'll burn you if he goes left" or "you cant block us out, coach"....  just all kinds of stupid crap like that. Took a lot of will power not to fire right back at him. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

With coaching AAU and officiating as well, I'll be honest..  I'm not going to watch the video. It will just p*** me off. In general, I would think an adult should go to extreme measures to insure they don't hit a minor. 

Also.. there are true, true idiots in aau. Coached a game about 3 weeks ago on a Sunday morning and every time I would say something like, "force your man left" or "we have to get a block out" or basically anything... the other coach fired back with a rebuttal, talking and looking directly at me saying things like "oh yeah.. force him left he'll burn you if he goes left" or "you cant block us out, coach"....  just all kinds of stupid crap like that. Took a lot of will power not to fire right back at him. 

Never rise to the bait...but easier said than done. Didn't realize it was still so petty. 

My middle son played several years of AAU, Texas. For those who don't know AAU, there are several levels / brackets. The lower levels are often a collection of loosely put together and collected players with no actual organization, and even those with an organization behind them can be just bad all around. The higher levels tend to be better run, better coached, and with players who play at an elite level.

I've never seen a ref throw or take a punch in a game. I've seen a lot of refs who talk to the stands -- which is just stupid , and low class -- but no fights.

In soccer though, at the select level (high level club), I've seen a parent hit a player -- a minor -- on another team, leading to an all out melee of parents leading to multiple arrests (fully warranted). I've seen coaches swearing at players. I've seen refs practically suit up for the other team. 

A ref throwing punches is absurd, but it's really not representative of AAU.

Archived