The Off-Topic Thread

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Reacher said:

Second Quarter GDP Growth revised up to 4.2%. Economy is roaring.

Yes it is.  Part of that was accelerated buying in front of proposed tariffs, but it is a good number nonetheless.  Bad part is, I can't find anyone to hire.  Unemployment being so low is going to really start pressuring wages, but to a degree, it will still be tough to hire.  I'm having trouble finding qualified people at any price.

29 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Yes it is.  Part of that was accelerated buying in front of proposed tariffs, but it is a good number nonetheless.  Bad part is, I can't find anyone to hire.  Unemployment being so low is going to really start pressuring wages, but to a degree, it will still be tough to hire.  I'm having trouble finding qualified people at any price.

Zach Smith, Mychal Kendricks, John Schnatter, and countless former members of the Trump administration are all looking for work.  :coffee:

7 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Zach Smith, Mychal Kendricks, John Schnatter, and countless former members of the Trump administration are all looking for work.  :coffee:

Funny thing. The guy who owns the Browns (Haslam) had massive fraud charges and others around him convicted and not a word. Kendricks has a very small insider trading charge and he's gone.

Having been in or near that industry for 20+ years if everyone was put in jail for making $ off of a insider information.....it would make the stupidity of jailing people for minor amounts of weed look silly too. 

13 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

It’s always hard when the economy is booming.  All of the good candidates already have jobs.

• 3 weeks later...

Kind of news for us Indy folks. Bob Kravitz being laid off by WTHR. You could certainly tell over the last several months he's been reaching on some opinions to gain notoriety or clicks (the hatchet piece on Romeo, Archie and Adidas come to mind). Another example of the sports tv business model just not working. We get our highlights instantly. No one tunes in to 11pm news for highlights. 

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Kind of news for us Indy folks. Bob Kravitz being laid off by WTHR. You could certainly tell over the last several months he's been reaching on some opinions to gain notoriety or clicks (the hatchet piece on Romeo, Archie and Adidas come to mind). Another example of the sports tv business model just not working. We get our highlights instantly. No one tunes in to 11pm news for highlights. 

Not willing to kick a man when he is down.  We knew Mr. Kravitz  (an IU grad ) well in Colorado, before he moved back to Indiana to take a job with the Indy Star.

He was certainly a controversial character when he worked his trade for Colorado's first and at that time, oldest newspaper... The Rocky Mountain News.

He and Woody Paige who then worked for the Denver Post certainly made the newspaper sports sections,  must reads every day.... the likes of which we have never seen since Bob left for the Indy Star.

And I will leave it at that. 

20 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Theoretically that should lead to wage growth for employees...  doesn't usually work that way though. 

I think it works for the best/most skilled candidates.  Most people in the workforce can't do the jobs I need done, but for the ones that can, I am willing to pay up to pry them away from their current employer.  Unfortunately, I am having limited success even doing that right now.

23 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Out of curiosity, what do the entry level jobs entail and what is the pay?

Sales and debt collection primarily. Used to be would could hire quality folks about 10 per hour in our ruralarkets. Now we compete with McDonalds paying 12.

And the quality of folks we get at 12 per hour is typically subpar. We find a few diamonds, but few and far between.

14 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Sales and debt collection primarily. Used to be would could hire quality folks about 10 per hour in our ruralarkets. Now we compete with McDonalds paying 12.

And the quality of folks we get at 12 per hour is typically subpar. We find a few diamonds, but few and far between.

$12/hour is less than $25k/year. What type of quality do you expect for being less than 50% of median incomes in the USA? If average work costs $55k-60k, then you should get shitty work for $25k. 

5 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I'm starting inside clerical at $15/hr plus bonuses and retirement with a 3% dollar for dollar match and while I can find a few candidates, none of them are qualified.

$31k/year. What type of work do you expect them to do? The 401(k) is great, but how do you expect them to even have anything left over to save in the first place? 

8 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

$12/hour is less than $25k/year. What type of quality do you expect for being less than 50% of median incomes in the USA? If average work costs $55k-60k, then you should get shitty work for $25k. 

$31k/year. What type of work do you expect them to do? The 401(k) is great, but how do you expect them to even have anything left over to save in the first place? 

$12-$15 an hour in rural small town southern indiana at least, and im assuming entry level/no degree, is about as good as it gets. The cost of living is pretty low so $15 is doable, $12 not so much.  If one wants a family then 2 earners or make more money. The high paying jobs around here are coal mines and degreed professional work.  Or truck driving.

11 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

It's mostly customer service/clerical work at a desk in front of a computer.  I'm not trying to hire breadwinners here.

The bonus has been running more than a grand a month.  I like incentivizing employees to be productive, so the bonus is a meaningful part of compensation.  Last year, my lead assistant with a high school education earned just over $51K and had four weeks of paid vacation.  That's withing a thousand dollars of the Indiana median HOUSEHOLD income for 2016.  It's not that I haven't had interest.  I just haven't had qualified interest.  I knew where you were going with this but I'm not the slightest bit ashamed of my comp plan.

Oh...and my lead assistant put just over six grand in her retirement account last year. Just verified all the numbers in Quickbooks so I would have a clean conscience about what I was quoting.

14 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

$12-$15 an hour in rural small town southern indiana at least, and im assuming entry level/no degree, is about as good as it gets. The cost of living is pretty low so $15 is doable, $12 not so much.  If one wants a family then 2 earners or make more money. The high paying jobs around here are coal mines and degreed professional work.  Or truck driving.

I'm not saying it gets better than that, what I'm saying is if you're an employer expecting great work for those type of wages the problem is the expectations of the employer. 

Want people to do good work? Pay good wages. 

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

It's mostly customer service/clerical work at a desk in front of a computer.  I'm not trying to hire breadwinners here.

The bonus has been running more than a grand a month.  I like incentivizing employees to be productive, so the bonus is a meaningful part of compensation.  Last year, my lead assistant with a high school education earned just over $51K and had four weeks of paid vacation.  That's withing a thousand dollars of the Indiana median HOUSEHOLD income for 2016.  It's not that I haven't had interest.  I just haven't had qualified interest.  I knew where you were going with this but I'm not the slightest bit ashamed of my comp plan.

Oh...and my lead assistant put just over six grand in her retirement account last year. Just verified all the numbers in Quickbooks so I would have a clean conscience about what I was quoting.

Got it. Well this situation is a lot different than what Blue is describing. I think your pay is good for what you are looking for. 

17 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Retirees in SW Indiana can easily live on three grand a month if they have no debt and no dependents.  Cost of living here is way different than Chicago or even Indy.

Archived