The Off-Topic Thread

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

People would be less likely to quit jobs if the pay and benefits made it worth staying. We can go in circles on this all day, but ultimately the company has an undue amount of power in business dealings with employees and deserves the bulk of responsibility. 

As far as retirement, companies saved a ton moving away from pensions. They did it under the guide of personal freedom because that sells but between the fees, lack of education about how to manage money and the less responsibility for employers it is clear who came out on top of that. 

You must not have any experience working with the type of people that will work for $12/hr.  I have worked with people who made from $13 - $16 an hour with average benefits. It wasn't the pay or benefits that drove them away.

I agree with the lack of education. But investing in a target date fund or an index fund is not that difficult and is what the average person should do.  I just dont think companies should be responsible for funding a persons non productive years. If a person is not responsible enough to save its on them.  Saving for retirement would be less daunting if people weren't shown these blown up numbers they are told they need and instead guided on the principle that saving for retirement is about maintaining their income.

Goldman Sachs is behind a new methodology of ranking companies- https://justcapital.com/

They survey people and find out whats important to them. #1 was how companies take care of their employees followed by how they take care of their customers and then the value of their products. Put in a favorite company to see where they rank. You can see the details in each category which will show the factors looked at for how a company takes care of its employees (pays a living wage?). 

They have a seal which they hope will become widely adopted so if you are looking to book a hotel or buy cereal or whatever you will choose one with their seal. The ETF with the the ticker JUST  invests in the top rated companies using this methodology. 

Interesting that public demand and the private sector are likely to be more influential here than a govt mandated minimum wage. Costco (JUST ranking of 4 in their industry) has already announced a $14 starting wage for their employees. 

I hear all over that it in increasingly hard to find employees that can pass a drug test and just show up. Let alone have skills. Wages are and will continue to increase at the bottom end. Middle class will be lucky if their raises keep up with rising costs. My dentist can't find an assistant and did my cleaning himself as a result.

18 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Not just electricians but most if not all the skilled trades are struggling finding qualified people. According to Mike Rowe anyway.

I work in maintenance.  I see no one in my department coming in new to the field under 40.

Tooling and many other trades seem to be in much the same state.

I tell my kids (ages 21 and 19) and their friends that showing up on time and working your entire shift is all it takes to get noticed (and put the damn phone away while you are working). Don’t worry about how much you get when you start, managers will notice that you are a good worker and give more money and responsibility.  

It amazes me how many electricians I have worked with that cannot ignore their text messages and phone calls while they are up on a ladder working. If I could get away with a no phone policy I would do it in a New York minute, but nobody seems to be able to live anymore without their phone in their pocket (or hand).

12 hours ago, SteveS said:

I tell my kids (ages 21 and 19) and their friends that showing up on time and working your entire shift is all it takes to get noticed (and put the damn phone away while you are working). Don’t worry about how much you get when you start, managers will notice that you are a good worker and give more money and responsibility.  

It amazes me how many electricians I have worked with that cannot ignore their text messages and phone calls while they are up on a ladder working. If I could get away with a no phone policy I would do it in a New York minute, but nobody seems to be able to live anymore without their phone in their pocket (or hand).

Regarding the phone in hand stuff. One of my fastest growing clients started a hand therapy clinic (treatment) with specific treatments/exercises if you will for hands to avoid carpal tunnel.

I admit my phone is my office and in my hand or next to me all day long. I started making myself put my phone down for extended periods of the day to avoid what will certainly be one of the fastest growing problems over the coming decades. 

Calhoun's health aside.  I will never forget when he brought his team to B-town.  And after the game,  had nothing but good to say about IU, our fans, and Assembly Hall.... calling AH...."Basketball Heaven".  IU was to face some of our hardest times.   And while fanbases such as Illinois who had a running thread of "Laughing at IU", and a coach who said "Indiana is gonna suck, but don't put that on the internet.... Jim Calhoun paid ultimate respect to our history, and our program.  

Jim Calhoun after beating the Indiana Hoosiers.

I wish prices for tickets weren’t so high. Trying to take the wife to a good game this year and flying from MT isn’t cheap and when the tickets are over $250 a pop it makes it almost impossible. Having said that I get it, having been to AH for games. The issue is she hasn’t and doesn’t get why it’s so expensive. It’s one of those things, if you know what I mean.

Waiting for a call back from an aggressive insurance adjuster claiming their client's vehicle was damaged over the weekend and they are blaming the condition of my lot.  Of course my office was closed over the weekend and I have no witnesses...

...except the 1080p surveillance cameras covering my entire lot (and they tell a considerably different story).  Oops.

17 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Waiting for a call back from an aggressive insurance adjuster claiming their client's vehicle was damaged over the weekend and they are blaming the condition of my lot.  Of course my office was closed over the weekend and I have no witnesses...

...except the 1080p surveillance cameras covering my entire lot (and they tell a considerably different story).  Oops.

Maybe you could advise the Walmart corporation on the upkeep of their surveillance camers. Theirs always seems to be broken every time some clown hits my parked car or truck.  

17 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Maybe you could advise the Walmart corporation on the upkeep of their surveillance camers. Theirs always seems to be broken every time some clown hits my parked car or truck.  

The problem is that the cameras would just record the clown. Then you'd have to go to the circus, or wherever clowns congregate now, and try to figure out which clown it was.

On 9/24/2018 at 11:00 PM, FKIM01 said:

image.jpeg.a2a919e27660f3f0cf9840909af2582b.jpeg Maybe you need this guy providing surveillance in your lot

Speaking of off topic. Southwest started their cheap flight specials. Pro tip...check buying 2 one way tickets instead of 1 round trip. For example. I just bought 1 way ticket on Monday of Thanksgiving week to Ft Meyers (Naples is destination) down there for $102 and return on Thanksgiving night for $94.....$196 for 4 days of warm before IU vs Purdue. Not bad at all. Happy shopping!

53 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Speaking of off topic. Southwest started their cheap flight specials. Pro tip...check buying 2 one way tickets instead of 1 round trip. For example. I just bought 1 way ticket on Monday of Thanksgiving week to Ft Meyers (Naples is destination) down there for $102 and return on Thanksgiving night for $94.....$196 for 4 days of warm before IU vs Purdue. Not bad at all. Happy shopping!

I / my firm fly Southwest all the time (it's based in Dallas), as in often at least once a week. All in all, it's a great airline, they treat you well, and they're usually very reasonably priced by comparison.

19 minutes ago, rico said:

Sooooooo.......what is the "Animal House" for?  I guess I am confused.

This is only a Fun thread, in the basketball forum, where we are ALWAYS on topic.

This thread was to be a dump of sorts to help prevent other threads from being derailed.

Not everyone ventures to the animal house.  First time I did, I wasn't seen for months.

8 minutes ago, PoHoosier said:

This is only a Fun thread, in the basketball forum, where we are ALWAYS on topic.

This thread was to be a dump of sorts to help prevent other threads from being derailed.

Not everyone ventures to the animal house.  First time I did, I wasn't seen for months.

Hmmmmmm.........okaaaaaaaaaaaay?  Whatever.  

3 hours ago, rico said:

Hmmmmmm.........okaaaaaaaaaaaay?  Whatever.  

You seem grumpy lately. The bottom line is it is the offseason and folks are just having fun. Not sure why it is a big deal, or why in other threads you rip a guy for being a penny fan, when he was an 8 year old kid?

Sometimes just going with the flow makes life easy.  :)

Archived