The Off-Topic Thread

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I noticed several of those were made by Illini fans. Do they think they are a rival or something?

Urban Dictionary...LOL...always good for a laugh. Even though I think it's a ridiculous term, there was some funny stuff there.

I'll give the Illini fans credit for one thing. They have some of the most active message boards going for team/school/university that has sucked for so long and never won a title of any kind in the major sports. With that said...Illinois could probably bring back Bill Self and I still wouldn't be worries. There's a cloud of stench/misfortune/bad karma around that whole university. 

Underwood will be gone from there in 2 more seasons and they'll be in same mode again.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I'll give the Illini fans credit for one thing. They have some of the most active message boards going for team/school/university that has sucked for so long and never won a title of any kind in the major sports. With that said...Illinois could probably bring back Bill Self and I still wouldn't be worries. There's a cloud of stench/misfortune/bad karma around that whole university. 

Underwood will be gone from there in 2 more seasons and they'll be in same mode again.

Cubs?

37 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Maybe Illinois is just jealous because they had an arena named assembly hall before we did but when one hears assembly hall all you think of is IU because of all the success.  

Truth of the matter is that IU's original Assembly Hall predates Illinois's space ship by decades.  Men's basketball started playing in the building known as the Men's Gym, but also people referred to it as Assembly Hall as early as 1896.  It was the first basketball facility in the nation to use a glass backboard.

Ken Bikof did a great history of Assembly Hall a number of years ago.  He talks about a sign in the current Assembly Hall from the original Assembly Hall that goes back to the late 1800's.

The Saga of the Sign, and the history of Assembly Hall

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

The message board activity is a true point.  Not only do they have a number of active threads and poster, it's almost all about their team, recruits or school.  In what little passes for a purdue message board, half of the posts are about IU and delusional accusations.  Funny thing is, they had a multi-page thread titled "Does Okoro commit tomorrow?" (or similar) and when he chose Oregon, it seemed that thread magically disappeared.

9 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

The message board activity is a true point.  Not only do they have a number of active threads and poster, it's almost all about their team, recruits or school.  In what little passes for a purdue message board, half of the posts are about IU and delusional accusations.  Funny thing is, they had a multi-page thread titled "Does Okoro commit tomorrow?" (or similar) and when he chose Oregon, it seemed that thread magically disappeared.

It was their in house nutjob, Teamwork Orange, back when Nova was their dictatorial mod on the Scout platform..... who first put the term, "Creaning" in the Urban Dictionary.  They had an entire thread lasting for months over it. 

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

It was their in house nutjob, Teamwork Orange, back when Nova was their dictatorial mod on the Scout platform..... who first put the term, "Creaning" in the Urban Dictionary.  They had an entire thread lasting for months over it. 

Oh, they seem to still have some nuts on there and they seem to have a lot of bickering, but it seems they've mostly moved on and focus on the here and now instead of fixating on their contempt for us.  Then again, the fact that the never-beens from West Laff. have to use their clever "IU sucks" chant at any game they play, shows that their obsession with IU is eternal.

19 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Oh, they seem to still have some nuts on there and they seem to have a lot of bickering, but it seems they've mostly moved on and focus on the here and now instead of fixating on their contempt for us.  Then again, the fact that the never-beens from West Laff. have to use their clever "IU sucks" chant at any game they play, shows that their obsession with IU is eternal.

And that's not to say that all who have and still frequent that Illini board are wacko's.  Remember, a guy who went by the name of Ponies ? I got him to join our site.  Long ago. Very standup guy... who did a lot for our U.S. veterans.  In fact when one of my hero's, a member of our board ..... Huskybomb.... was having a tough time after serving three tours in Afaganistan, reached out to Huskybomb with some very real help.  More than any VA personnel could do at the time.

And one of their mods is another standup guy IMHO..... JMS.... who I consider a friend to this day.  Been weeks since he and I have talked.  Which reminds me, I owe him a shout out. 

On 5/22/2018 at 1:58 PM, Jerry Lundergaard said:

This may be too old as I have not been able to find any video. But I would say, after Smart's shot to win the championship, this is the second most important shot ever made by an IU basketball player.

http://www.dailyjournal.net/2016/02/06/benson_recalls_play_that_saved_ius_unbeaten_season/

Great stuff. Hoosier fans of all ages should take pride in that magnificent team.

20 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

They wish they were our rival.  Underwoods contract gives him extras if he beats IU.

I had to look this up. Strange. 

Um, where is Illinois again? Do we play them very often?

5 hours ago, milehiiu said:

And that's not to say that all who have and still frequent that Illini board are wacko's.  Remember, a guy who went by the name of Ponies ? I got him to join our site.  Long ago. Very standup guy... who did a lot for our U.S. veterans.  In fact when one of my hero's, a member of our board ..... Huskybomb.... was having a tough time after serving three tours in Afaganistan, reached out to Huskybomb with some very real help.  More than any VA personnel could do at the time.

And one of their mods is another standup guy IMHO..... JMS.... who I consider a friend to this day.  Been weeks since he and I have talked.  Which reminds me, I owe him a shout out. 

And don't forget that NC guy that used to be on one of the IU boards (I can't even remember which one as it was around the Cody recruitment time frame).  He became obnoxious and pulled up his stakes and moved to the Illinois board.  I think he was there for a while and then wore out his welcome.

16 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

And don't forget that NC guy that used to be on one of the IU boards (I can't even remember which one as it was around the Cody recruitment time frame).  He became obnoxious and pulled up his stakes and moved to the Illinois board.  I think he was there for a while and then wore out his welcome.

TIR (Trust in Roy) ?  I have could spend an entire night with stories about him.  He posted on the Illinois board, too, til they ran him out.   True, really wore it out.  Not with us, but there as well

On 5/23/2018 at 12:04 PM, FKIM01 said:

Sounds like something an ignoramus Turdue fan would say. No offense, DBM...I know it wasn't your term.  I just get annoyed at some of the ignorant and petty terms I read on GBI (but of course, I'm happy to reciprocate calling them Smellermakers.)

They seem to have settled on “Little Archie” as their current favorite.  Has a very Trumpian feel to it, which is fitting.

Archived