ACC wants to expand the tournament

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/23531225/acc-propose-expanding-ncaa-tournament-four-teams-72

Looks like the ACC coaches want to expand the tournament to 72 teams and have another group of play in games.  Just another terrible because all these coaches are worried about is themselves and not the game.  All this does is give mediocre major conference teams a better chance to get into the tournament.  Just put it back to 64 teams and eliminate the play in games.

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

I would not mind it if it brought in 4-6 more mid-majors.  But, no.  I am not intetsted in seeing 9th or 10th place teams from power 5 leagues.

I concur with that thinking.  Lots of good teams from lessor conferences get left out every year.

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I would not mind it if it brought in 4-6 more mid-majors.  But, no.  I am not intetsted in seeing 9th or 10th place teams from power 5 leagues.

I would like to see that now with 68 teams but I don't think the ACC coaches are worried about the mid major programs.  I think if a team can't get over .500 in the conference they should not be eligible for the tournament.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I would like to see that now with 68 teams but I don't think the ACC coaches are worried about the mid major programs.  I think if a team can't get over .500 in the conference they should not be eligible for the tournament.

I agree but keep in mind the "unbalanced" schedules.  They can skew it.

ACC angling to be the first conference on record to get all its members in the tournament.

I am more in favor of reducing back to 64 versus adding any more teams 

Keep it at 68 and have the last 8 at-large teams play each other on Tuesday/Wednesday of tourney week. The winners get the last 4 at-large spots in the NCAA, the losers are the #1 seeds in the NIT with a first-round bye. I'd watch those "play-in" games. I think all automatic qualifiers should have the opportunity to play the first weekend of the NCAAs and their fans should get to experience it. As conference champions, they've earned it. 

1 hour ago, SconsinHoosier said:

Keep it at 68 and have the last 8 at-large teams play each other on Tuesday/Wednesday of tourney week. The winners get the last 4 at-large spots in the NCAA, the losers are the #1 seeds in the NIT with a first-round bye. I'd watch those "play-in" games. I think all automatic qualifiers should have the opportunity to play the first weekend of the NCAAs and their fans should get to experience it. As conference champions, they've earned it. 

Welcome to the wonderful world of posting on Hoosier Sports Nation.

1 hour ago, SconsinHoosier said:

I actually like that idea a lot. Good post

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, jimmygoiu said:

I wouldn't mind expansion to 80 teams, with the rule that at least 6 of those 12 spots go to mid majors.   why not?

Just go back to 64 teams and take away the play in games.  Having the 16 seeds play in the play in games really eliminates to 16 seeds so really two of the 16 seeds would have use to be a 15 seed.   To me this is why 16 seeds have been playing the one seeds a little better.

Wish I could find the thread I broke down the math.

The % of teams making the field today is nearing the level it was before the tournament expanded to 64.  There are so many more D1 schools today than there were 30 some years ago.  Quality schools are left out.  If the field were expanded for both men and women's last year, does the women's team make the field?  Either way, not the point I am trying to make.  I do not like seeing that RPI mid-major team with a few losses lose their tournament championship game not get the tourney invite.

On 5/17/2018 at 5:18 PM, SconsinHoosier said:

I think is a pretty great idea and your reasoning is spot on about the conference champions.

Archived