Phinisee

Fundamentals

27 minutes ago, CSprings Hoosier said:

If Phinisee can lead, he can definitely be as good as Yogi. Key words: if he can lead.

IMO, I'll take Phinisee for 4 years over Langford for 1-2 years, because Langford is even more quiet on the (high school) court than RoJo the Silent. If last year taught us anything, it's that Indiana doesn't need superstars right now. 3x NBA draftees got us nothing last year.  Moving forward, this Indiana team will need leaders who drive passion for winning.

o.O

Yes, we need Romeo.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, CSprings Hoosier said:

If Phinisee can lead, he can definitely be as good as Yogi. Key words: if he can lead.

IMO, I'll take Phinisee for 4 years over Langford for 1-2 years, because Langford is even more quiet on the (high school) court than RoJo the Silent. If last year taught us anything, it's that Indiana doesn't need superstars right now. 3x NBA draftees got us nothing last year.  Moving forward, this Indiana team will need leaders who drive passion for winning.

We kind of need both. 

10 hours ago, CSprings Hoosier said:

A bad coach got us nothing last year. Add OG, TB  and JBJ to this team under CAM, You think things would be just a little different right now? Who's to say Phinisee will be here 4 years? He could come in and set the world on fire, as some here thinks he will do. You take Romeo for a semester if thats all he wants to come for, you don't ever pass on the best if you want to win titles. ( well unless they want something ).  :)

17 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Yogi was the starting point guard on one of the best teams in the country and beat out two key cogs from the prior years Sweet 16 team. I think he was good his freshman year, he just wasn't asked to score that year like the rest of his career. 

I also think you're discounting who coached Yogi and who will cosch Rob. 

I get the coach thing. What i'm saying is Yogi was a 5 star recruit for a reason. Phinesse is a 3/4 star for a reason. Rob won't be as good as Yogi. while some on here are trying to make him out to be something he is not by saying We don't need Romeo because we have Phinesse. I would give up Phinesse in a second for a year of Romeo. Thats my point.

25 minutes ago, Indykev said:

I get the coach thing. What i'm saying is Yogi was a 5 star recruit for a reason. Phinesse is a 3/4 star for a reason. Rob won't be as good as Yogi. while some on here are trying to make him out to be something he is not by saying We don't need Romeo because we have Phinesse. I would give up Phinesse in a second for a year of Romeo. Thats my point.

I think they provide different things. We need 3-4 year top 100 recruits to build the foundation. Romeo speeds up your rebuild but likely isn't sticking around yo be s part of your solid foundation. 

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I think they provide different things. We need 3-4 year top 100 recruits to build the foundation. Romeo speeds up your rebuild but likely isn't sticking around yo be s part of your solid foundation. 

I agree totally. Thats why we need both. Thats the point of my first post on this. People saying we dont need Romeo because of this or that are just plan crazy.

I don't understand the "I'd take 4 years of Phinisee over 1-2 of Langford" take. It doesn't make any sense. They're completely different players, and IU needs both. The program is sorely lacking a true point guard who is a real leader, as well as an athletic wing that can straight-up get buckets on demand. Phinisee hopefully covers the first, and Langford definitely covers the second. 

I get it if you're comparing Phinisee to Garland, yes in that case the 4-year player is probably best, but in terms of Langford we need both. 

On 12/6/2017 at 10:07 AM, Indykev said:

Don't think this kid will come in and be Isaiah Thomas, hell he won't even be Yogi. Remember how we all thought about Yogi as a freshman and the mistakes he made? Lets back off a little here. To say it wont hurt missing on Romeo because we have Phinisee, is just you trying to make yourself feel better if we do miss on Romeo. We are in trouble at the guard spot next year unless the light goes off in Green's head and Al gets a whole lot better.

Phinisee is ranked a lot higher than Al Durham and Al is playing a lot better than a lot of Freshmen guards. While Yogi was overall a better player, Al looks a lot better with valuing the ball as a freshman than I remember Yogi being.  Phinisee may surprise us all and I think it's premature to say IU will be in trouble next year at the guard spot.  Who knows what jumps we'll see under this coach.

I'm a central Indiana HS coach...will say this...Phinisee is absolutely solid. My personal opinion, will contribute right away, both in practice and on the floor. Chris Reynolds type player, more scoring ability, even at 5'11. Can dunk it however you want...may not be superstar immediately, but will flourish with those already here and coming in.

4 hours ago, Coach Robby said:

I'm a central Indiana HS coach...will say this...Phinisee is absolutely solid. My personal opinion, will contribute right away, both in practice and on the floor. Chris Reynolds type player, more scoring ability, even at 5'11. Can dunk it however you want...may not be superstar immediately, but will flourish with those already here and coming in.

Appreciate the first-hand insight, thanks for posting.

On 12/7/2017 at 8:05 AM, Indykev said:

I just can't get behind this line of thinking at all, man. Don't put a cap on what a hard working individual can do. Yogi is one of the best we've ever had, but that has nothing to do with RP... and especially those stupid stars they put next to their names. So, yeah.. he MIGHT not be as good as Yogi, but it won't be because Yogi was a 5 star and RP was a 3 or 4 star. 

On 12/6/2017 at 9:13 PM, CSprings Hoosier said:

Langford is about 10 times the basketball player, offensively, that those 3 were, in college. They arent comparable. 

23 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

Honestly - rankings don't really matter unless you're a top 25 player.  See Al Durham ranked in the 200s, and Curtis Jones ranked in the top 40. 

Exactly. Hanner Perea 43. Juwan Morgan 117. The list goes on and on and on. 

It comes down to work ethic. Think of a Victor Oladipo with a Jeremy Hollowell (who was also a 4-star) work ethic. VO would have been a transfer after his sophomore year. 

Work ethic, being coachable, being a good teammate, buying in to the program. Wisconsin literally sat in the Top 4 of the league from 2002-2016 with rosters of 3 and 4 star players with those attributes.

Archived