Phinisee

Fundamentals

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Not saying he will turn out like Frank Mason but Mason was a 3 star player who had committed to Towson.  Just because a player in HS is ranked lower does not mean in a couple of years they can't turn out to be a 5 star player in college.

This is pretty much my argument.  5 years ago, or whenever Oladipo committed, I bet people were saying that he couldn't become a better version of Bracey Wright, or whoever you want to compare him to, that excelled on IU teams years prior.  And then he did.

Anyone speaking with certainty is begging to look like a fool in the future.

You give him a chance to see what he can do before you make any major moves to recruit over him.  He should probably back-up Green as a freshman, and after that first season, Archie should have a good idea of what he can provide down the road.   Being that he is an in-state recruit, and potentially the type of 4 year player you build a program around, I would hate to not give him every opportunity to leave a Yogi type legacy.

7 hours ago, HoosierFaithful said:

No, what's ridiculous is saying he has no chance to be.

Look, nobody is arguing that he absolutely will be.  I'm merely arguing that you can't argue that he absolutely won't be.  Do you think these recruiting services have the ability to see into the future?  Boy, they sure do seem to miss the mark on quite a few recruits on purpose then.  Lots of highly ranked duds and lowly ranked studs.

Lol so I can't say I don't think a player will end up being better than an IU great. Got it.

Purdue fans: "He wasn't a priority recruit"

RP: "They had four coaches texting me."

I have a feeling that Purdue coaches were reading between the lines based on RP's response level to their frenetic texting and moved on.  There's no question they really wanted him. I think they figured out he was going elsewhere and backed off to focus their efforts elsewhere.  No shame in that...why waste a bunch of time on a recruit that's going to leave you at the altar?  It's just comical to see some of the message board fans pretend that Purdue really didn't want a 4* point guard in their back yard.

11 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I have a feeling that Purdue coaches were reading between the lines based on RP's response level to their frenetic texting and moved on.  There's no question they really wanted him. I think they figured out he was going elsewhere and backed off to focus their efforts elsewhere.  No shame in that...why waste a bunch of time on a recruit that's going to leave you at the altar?  It's just comical to see some of the message board fans pretend that Purdue really didn't want a 4* point guard in their back yard.

Lol, that's one of the best things about landing him.  The rationalizations are hilarious.

11 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Solid generalization there. I know we wanted him and know the coaches did too. He's a solid player and I wish we would've landed him but I think the biggest bummer is that he's from Lafayette. I don't think I'd be as bummed if he was from Indy for example. He's a solid player and I think he'll do well at IU. I think we can still land some solid talent though. 

4 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Definitely embarrassing for the Boilers.  This would be like Jordan Hulls going to Purdue.

Not really. Painter misses out on solid recruits all the time so I'm used to it lol. I wasn't surprised at all to see RP go elsewhere. Even if it wasn't IU, it wouldn't be Purdue. Probably would've been OSU. 

8 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Not really. Painter misses out on solid recruits all the time so I'm used to it lol. I wasn't surprised at all to see RP go elsewhere. Even if it wasn't IU, it wouldn't be Purdue. Probably would've been OSU. 

Was playing time a factor for not considering the Boilers?

20 hours ago, HoosierFaithful said:

No, you can say whatever you want.

I said I think it's foolish to speak with certainty as to what a player will/won't be, which you did a couple of times.  Don't strawman me.

If one can't speak with authority that Robert Phinisee will not be a better player than Yogi Ferrell, then literally no take is acceptable. 

There seems to be this aura about Yogi that he was always "the man". Remembering back, until his Senior year, Yogi was criticized on the boards for a lot of bad decision making-- poor shot selection and the dreaded caught in the air with nowhere to pass. Interesting how selective memories only recall Yogi the hero and don't recollect the struggles he had. Rob will go through some of the same things that Yogi did. Let him progress at his own pace rather than trying to ascribe a level of play to him that may/ may not be realistic 

9 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Solid generalization there. I know we wanted him and know the coaches did too. He's a solid player and I wish we would've landed him but I think the biggest bummer is that he's from Lafayette. I don't think I'd be as bummed if he was from Indy for example. He's a solid player and I think he'll do well at IU. I think we can still land some solid talent though. 

That's why I said some of the message board fans. I know we've got homers here too, but you gotta admit, it's entertaining to read rival fans say stuff that is...well, outlandish.

Even Painter wanted to be a Hoosier once. ;)

5 hours ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

There seems to be this aura about Yogi that he was always "the man". Remembering back, until his Senior year, Yogi was criticized on the boards for a lot of bad decision making-- poor shot selection and the dreaded caught in the air with nowhere to pass. Interesting how selective memories only recall Yogi the hero and don't recollect the struggles he had. Rob will go through some of the same things that Yogi did. Let him progress at his own pace rather than trying to ascribe a level of play to him that may/ may not be realistic 

I liked Yogi.  He was once the starting PG on a  Sweet 16 team.  That is what he'll be remembered for.

On 8/25/2017 at 7:00 PM, HoosierFaithful said:

No, you can say whatever you want.

I said I think it's foolish to speak with certainty as to what a player will/won't be, which you did a couple of times.  Don't strawman me.

I think you're strawmanning him more than he is you. There's always generalizations on message board but one side is saying (with equal authority as @goonahawas) a guy who probably won't start until he is a junior will be better than an All-Time Great and was prioritized over the top PG in this class, the other side is simply saying no.

8 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I liked Yogi.  He was once the starting PG on a  Sweet 16 team.  That is what he'll be remembered for.

And two conference titles, the assists record and the way he competed. 

If you can't remember Yogi for more than the Sweet 16 losses I'd assume any list of our greats for you doesn't include guys who didn't win titles. 

Archived