Phinisee

Fundamentals

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting an in-state player like RP is worth the risk when the alternative is him being a thorn in our side for 4 years at OSU or PU. He has played against the best competition in the best state for basketball and came out on top. Very excited about Hoosier basketball in the very near future.

On 8/22/2017 at 6:35 PM, Crimson324 said:

Phinisee isn't a poor man's Yogi. He's an elite floor general. There's a reason CAM made him a priority over Garland and David Duke. Not an elite scorer, but this kid can LEAD! Every analysis I've heard of the kid's game is that he is a coach on the floor and he's really good at seeing the court and controlling the offense. Heard a lot of comparisons to Michael Lewis.

PS first post on the new site. Use to go by Akaramazov. Decided to change to something a little more Hoosier. 

Agree with this 100%. This is the guy I most wanted in the class. I think he'll be pretty special. Of course, Michael Lewis is one of my favorite Hoosiers of all time.

22 minutes ago, tmoneynow said:

I think Phinisee will be Yogi-like in his driving ability and shooting, but I think he may be a better overall passer.  We shall see but I like the future.

No on all three fronts. They are not comparable nor are they in the same league.

1 hour ago, goonaha said:

No on all three fronts. They are not comparable nor are they in the same league.

While I agree that Yogi is a much different category as a player than Phinisee, that does not mean that all three points are wrong.  Rob has tremendous court vision and may surpass Yogi in that regard.  While we will have to see it to believe it, I am not ruling it out by any stretch.

I'm glad to get an actual point guard in the sense he seems like the kind to want to set the team up for success more than score all the time. Not a lot of true point guards out there these days lots of kids want to be more of a combo type guard. Ive always admired true floor generals and hopefully this kid can take that role and run with it. Maybe not in his first year but as an upperclassman would be great.

16 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

While I agree that Yogi is a much different category as a player than Phinisee, that does not mean that all three points are wrong.  Rob has tremendous court vision and may surpass Yogi in that regard.  While we will have to see it to believe it, I am not ruling it out by any stretch.

Perhaps Phinisee could break the all time career assist record. I doubt it because I don't think he'll play as much as Yogi did his freshman and sophomore years . I suppose he could average more per game at some point. So I'll give you the floor vision possibility. The other two I will maintain are flat wrong. Phinisee will never be as good of a shooter, ball handler, or slasher as Yogi. Don't construe that as me not liking Phinisee but Yogi was a special player.

do you guys think if we get another guard or two who can play point that durham will end up transferring? It seems to me he is going to end up constantly behind everyone else and will end up not liking his playing time. I will say that I talked to Jordan Goodwin (SLU Freshman and former IU target) when I coached at the high school he went to feeder's tournament and he was quoted as saying  "that Al Durham dude can ball"

1 hour ago, goonaha said:

Perhaps Phinisee could break the all time career assist record. I doubt it because I don't think he'll play as much as Yogi did his freshman and sophomore years . I suppose he could average more per game at some point. So I'll give you the floor vision possibility. The other two I will maintain are flat wrong. Phinisee will never be as good of a shooter, ball handler, or slasher as Yogi. Don't construe that as me not liking Phinisee but Yogi was a special player.

The assist record wont be broken for a good long time. Yogi had some special players around him....several 1000+ scorers.....

49 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

do you guys think if we get another guard or two who can play point that durham will end up transferring? It seems to me he is going to end up constantly behind everyone else and will end up not liking his playing time. I will say that I talked to Jordan Goodwin (SLU Freshman and former IU target) when I coached at the high school he went to feeder's tournament and he was quoted as saying  "that Al Durham dude can ball"

I think it will come down to what kind of coach CAM is. Im sure he will recruit as high of talent that he can get to fill his team needs. Now when it comes to how much floor time said talent gets is another thing. I would hope the player that is the most bennefit to the team would play and not the highest rated recruit. 

As far as Al goes, i would hope that has the mindset that he is going to make it hard for the coaches not to play him....but i know thats not always the case. 

3 hours ago, goonaha said:

What a ridiculous assertion to say a highly touted recruit will "never be as good as [X]."

I'm not saying it's definitely going to happen -- just like nobody should say it definitely isn't going to.

16 hours ago, HoosierFaithful said:

What a ridiculous assertion to say a highly touted recruit will "never be as good as [X]."

I'm not saying it's definitely going to happen -- just like nobody should say it definitely isn't going to.

Yogi was a highly touted recruit. Phinisee is not. It's not a ridiculous assertion to think that Robert Phinisee isn't going to be a top 5 all time IU scorer and #1 in assists. That's not exactly a hot take.

No, what's ridiculous is saying he has no chance to be.

Look, nobody is arguing that he absolutely will be.  I'm merely arguing that you can't argue that he absolutely won't be.  Do you think these recruiting services have the ability to see into the future?  Boy, they sure do seem to miss the mark on quite a few recruits on purpose then.  Lots of highly ranked duds and lowly ranked studs.

34 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

No, what's ridiculous is saying he has no chance to be.

Look, nobody is arguing that he absolutely will be.  I'm merely arguing that you can't argue that he absolutely won't be.  Do you think these recruiting services have the ability to see into the future?  Boy, they sure do seem to miss the mark on quite a few recruits on purpose then.  Lots of highly ranked duds and lowly ranked studs.

Independent of rankings, from what I've seen, I'm not sure Phinisee has the athleticism to become an all-time great like Yogi.

This is one of the types of discussion that I enjoy most, for the simple reason that trying to assess a player who has never played at the college level is rarely a science (outside the legitimately top HS players). There are always guys like Vic and OG who come in and play at an elite or close to elite level but who were never viewed by the scouts as elite. No one said Vic or OG were future pros. But they had all the tools, and heart, with solid skill sets. 

I tend to like guys like Vic and OG who come in as 2-way players and thrive on competitive D. 

Which of our recruits do you guys see as playing well above what the scouts saw?

Archived