Phinisee

Fundamentals

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/6/2017 at 8:13 PM, CSprings Hoosier said:

If Phinisee can lead, he can definitely be as good as Yogi. Key words: if he can lead.

IMO, I'll take Phinisee for 4 years over Langford for 1-2 years, because Langford is even more quiet on the (high school) court than RoJo the Silent. If last year taught us anything, it's that Indiana doesn't need superstars right now. 3x NBA draftees got us nothing last year.  Moving forward, this Indiana team will need leaders who drive passion for winning.

So you're expecting a low ranked recruit who hasn't stepped foot on campus to be as good as the all time assist leader in IU history who was also the #6 leading scorer in IU history?

Rob certainly putting up great numbers, my question is how is the competition that he is facing.  I am not familiar with the basketball scene in the northern part of the state.   The numbers he is putting up say that either he is very underrated or the competition he is facing is not that good.  Thanks for any information.

8 minutes ago, Bigred3588 said:

A new highlight video was uploaded within the last day or so. Link is below. From what I've seen and read, I think we got a steal on this kid...

Thanks for the link.  Great to see one Hoosier legend.  And perhaps we are seeing another future legend. 

On 12/24/2017 at 3:30 PM, Leathernecks said:

So you're expecting a low ranked recruit who hasn't stepped foot on campus to be as good as the all time assist leader in IU history who was also the #6 leading scorer in IU history?

He's better than his ranking...and not by a little.

On 12/29/2017 at 7:45 AM, bstall76 said:

Rob certainly putting up great numbers, my question is how is the competition that he is facing.  I am not familiar with the basketball scene in the northern part of the state.   The numbers he is putting up say that either he is very underrated or the competition he is facing is not that good.  Thanks for any information.

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/mccutcheon-mavericks-(lafayette,in)/basketball/schedule.htm

1 hour ago, Leathernecks said:

I don't disagree with that, but somebody said they expected him to be as good as Yogi (or something along those lines). I have a hard time projecting anybody outside the top 10-15 each year to be like that

...and I don't necessarily thing he's the next Anunoby or Oladipo, but every time I read about him or see game highlights, all I can think about is how under-ranked he is. Seems like he's more penalized for being short than I remember Yogi being, but yeah...I also understand that Yogi was special.  I just keep wondering how good this kid could be.  I hope he exceeds my wildest expectations.

37 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

...and I don't necessarily thing he's the next Anunoby or Oladipo, but every time I read about him or see game highlights, all I can think about is how under-ranked he is. Seems like he's more penalized for being short than I remember Yogi being, but yeah...I also understand that Yogi was special.  I just keep wondering how good this kid could be.  I hope he exceeds my wildest expectations.

Looks like he’s bigger than Yogi at least.  He dunked a couple times in that highlight video.  

16 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I don't disagree with that, but somebody said they expected him to be as good as Yogi (or something along those lines). I have a hard time projecting anybody outside the top 10-15 each year to be like that

I would be really surprised if Phinisee finishes his IU career with better numbers (points, assists, etc.) than Yogi. With that said, it doesn’t mean he won’t impact winning more. Yogi was great, don’t get me wrong, and I’m still enjoying following him in the NBA, but the middle two and a half years of his career we’re pretty underwhelming in terms of winning. 

I have no idea how good Phinisee will be, but with how he’s performing and everything you read about him (leadership, point guard skills, intangibles, etc.), and IU’s need for what he brings, he could be a great 4-year point guard that really impacts the W/L column. 

16 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Looks like he’s bigger than Yogi at least.  He dunked a couple times in that highlight video.  

He does look a little bigger and is definitely more athletic going strong to the basket and being able to flush it. Probably wont see much of that at the college level though. I'm encouraged as to where he's developed his body already as a HS Sr., as much/if not more so than Yogi did coming into Bloomington. If he can muster the same work ethic in the weight room Yogi had it wont matter how tall he is. He'll be a stud and a four year starter.

5 hours ago, BGleas said:

I would be really surprised if Phinisee finishes his IU career with better numbers (points, assists, etc.) than Yogi. With that said, it doesn’t mean he won’t impact winning more. Yogi was great, don’t get me wrong, and I’m still enjoying following him in the NBA, but the middle two and a half years of his career we’re pretty underwhelming in terms of winning. 

I have no idea how good Phinisee will be, but with how he’s performing and everything you read about him (leadership, point guard skills, intangibles, etc.), and IU’s need for what he brings, he could be a great 4-year point guard that really impacts the W/L column. 

Frankly, the middle part of Yogi's career, he wasn't all that. IIRC, he tended to look for his own shot way too often, and was frequently caught up in the air without anywhere to pass. He really wasn't a true pg during that time. He became the all-time leader in IU statistics because of his longevity--starting or playing so much as a freshman, and because as a senior, the light finally turned on and he became more of a facilitator. 

I have not seen Phinisee play live yet, however the reports on this season have sounded promising. Someone questioned as to the quality of competition in NW Indiana that he is facing--I don't have that answer, but I do know that that part of the state is known for hard-nosed, tough kids. Whether the skill level is as good as the greater Marion County kids is debatable. But I feel confident in saying that Phinisee will have played in and through many "wars" by the time this season ends.

Archived