Dakich - Did anyone comment on this?

6 hours ago, rico said:

Gary Andrean?  It is just Andrean and it is located in Merrillville.  And it is a Catholic school.

Yep.  It originally was known as Gary Andrean.  Opened in 1959 by Bishop Grutka, who headed the Archdiocese of Gary. I was there, a few days after  it opened.   Location is 5959 Broadway... and at the time was on the South border of Gary, in an unincorporated area. only later to be annexed by Merrillville.  Just a stone's throw from Merrillville High School, which in 1959 was actually in Merrillville, and of course, still is.  Andrean is still to this day a part of the Archdiocese of Gary, though today as you say.... it is now known as Andrean, and no longer known as Gary Andrean. 

There was a time, people and places wanted to be associated with the name..... Gary, Indiana.  That changed after the 1960's.  For instance,  East Gary, Indiana.  A small community that is just outside of Gary, changed it's name from East Gary to Lake Station, Indiana, it's original name, before Gary, Indiana was founded in 1906. Lake Station changed it's name to East Gary, and then back to it's original name, which is what most people today know it by.  No different than Andrean dropping the Gary from it's original name.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, rico said:

Gary Andrean?  It is just Andrean and it is located in Merrillville.  And it is a Catholic school.

It's not far from Gary.  Just south of it in fact.  Also, Merrillville wasn't officially a town until 1971.

I've never heard of it being called Gary Andrean, either, but I wasn't around until the late 80's.

18 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

It's not far from Gary.  Just south of it in fact.  Also, Merrillville wasn't officially a town until 1971.

I've never heard of it being called Gary Andrean, either, but I wasn't around until the late 80's.

You are correct. Merrillville in 1959 was not even a town.  There was an airport at the junction of Broadway and U.S. 30 at the time. 

When Andrean, then known as Gary Andrean started playing football, they played their home games at Gary's Gilroy Stadium, and not at Merrillville. 

In fact, scroll all the way to the bottom of this link... and you will see that they list Gary Andrean as the winner of the Gary Football conference in 1968

AlmanacSports.com - Football -

In 1959, Gary had 8 public high schools, and Andrean.

Even Calumet back then.... who Dan Dakich's dad was principle at, associated itself with Gary.... and played most of their sports with Gary teams.

34 minutes ago, rico said:

Thanks mile, for the history lesson.  And teaching me something I never knew.

My pleasure.

Another famous BB player who attended Andrean, in addition to Dakich, was Luke Harangody.  Luke's dad played football at IU.  And practically everyone in his family attended IU.  But, as we know, Luke chose Notre Dame. 

Just now, milehiiu said:

My pleasure.

Another famous BB player who attended Andrean, in addition to Dakich, was Luke Harangody.  Luke's dad played football at IU.  And practically everyone in his family attended IU.  But, as we know, Luke chose Notre Dame. 

This time, I knew that!  LOL

4 minutes ago, rico said:

This time, I knew that!  LOL

I figured you would.

Did you know that Luke did not live in Gary, or Merrilville.  He grew up in Schereville.

Hey... thanks for starting this thread.  It's been fun. And with over 2,000 views.... a popular thread as well.

4 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I figured you would.

Did you know that Luke did not live in Gary, or Merrilville.  He grew up in Schereville.

Hey... thanks for starting this thread.  It's been fun. And with over 2,000 views.... a popular thread as well.

To me I can't tell when town starts and another one begins up there!  I will just stay in Warsaw!  And Dakich is getting free pub!!!!!!!

6 minutes ago, rico said:

To me I can't tell when town starts and another one begins up there!  I will just stay in Warsaw!  And Dakich is getting free pub!!!!!!!

It's all "Da Region" to me.

For me, I always had a hard time figuring out where Warsaw ended and Goshen began...... Just kidding.  You live in a nice part of Indiana. 

3 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

It's all "Da Region" to me.

For me, I always had a hard time figuring out where Warsaw ended and Goshen began...... Just kidding.  You live in a nice part of Indiana. 

I hope you were kidding.  There is a lot of open ground between here and Goshen!  LOL  However, there is a town connected to Warsaw and that would be Winona Lake.  And I don't which one I am in sometimes!

Archived