Indiana Movies

I have been following the movie "Columbus" lately since I am from Columbus Indiana but I didn't know that another movie with strong Indiana roots is coming out callet "The Good Catholic."  https://news.iu.edu/stories/2017/09/iub/inside/12-good-catholic.html

So that got me thinking...what is your favorite movie with Indiana roots.  What obscure facts do you know that tie Indiana to a movie?

"A Christmas Story".  First time I saw it, I sat there and kept saying..... that's what I remember about growing up in NWI.  It was almost surreal for me.  Then... I later discovered it was written by Jean Shepherd, who lived a short time in East Chicago, and then moved to Hammond.... before graduating from Hammond High School. Shepard wrote the movie as a semi-autobiographical. 

Favorite movie is Breaking Away...great story and I was a student when it was being filmed on campus.

"Refund" is a line I have repeated numerous times in my life.

And, of course Fawn Lebowitz was from my hometown--Ft. Wayne, IN. There is, or at least was, a local band that went by that name.

23 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Favorite movie is Breaking Away...great story and I was a student when it was being filmed on campus.

And, of course Fawn Lebowitz was from my hometown--Ft. Wayne, IN. There is, or at least was, a local band that went by that name.

Refund!  Refund!  I say that at the weirdest times and it drives my kids crazy.   I was between my junior and senior year of high school and went over to Bloomington to get in the movie. We had a cooler and they wouldn't let us in the old stadium so I didn't get filmed.  A buddy is in the final scene when they lift the trophy.  

I was an extra in Hoosiers and didn't make the cut.  :-(  I helped with a film called Viper that was a grade Z movie filmed outside Bloomington but it was fun to work on.  

1 hour ago, Tiz10 said:

Blue chips referenced Indiana the state, an Indiana born recruit and IU itself. 

I loved that movie. And the IU connections.  Little known fact and personal connection..... Matt Nover ("Rickey" in the movie) from Chesterton, tried out for the Denver Nuggets.  Came close to making the team, but eventually was cut. Blue Chips (8/9) Movie CLIP - Western Vs. Indiana (1994) HD - YouTube

I always get a kick out of movies about John Dillinger.  One of my Grandpa's favorite stories was how he walked into a bar in Pierceton, Indiana and three guys were buying drinks for everyone.  Those three were John Dillinger, Baby Faced Nelson, and Pretty Boy Floyd.  God I wish Grandpa was still alive to tell me that story again.  The way I remember it they had a hang out at the Barbee Chain.

On 9/14/2017 at 12:54 PM, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Fantastic movie.  

2 hours ago, Colonialcrester said:

Was Gary the pat of the movie where all the building were destroyed and it looked like a hell hole?

Transformer 3 scene was filmed on Cline avenue.  One side is Gary.  The other Hammond.

Here it is :

Filming of Transformers 3 (Transformers: Dark of the Moon) in Hammond, Indiana - YouTube

Depends on what side of the street you are, either Gary, or Hammond.

As far as all the buildings looking like a hell hole.... that is true.   And other movies have depicted that..

Gary, Indiana..... my home town :

Exploring America's Ghost Town -- Gary, Indiana - YouTube

And my old high school.  Where Branden Dawson graduated from, not that long ago :

Exploring the Abandoned Lew Wallace High School (HUGE POOL!) - YouTube

13 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

In fact, here is a list of 47 movies that were at least partially filmed in Gary.

http://www.imdb.com/search/title?locations=Gary, Indiana, USA&ref_=ttloc_loc_16

"Original gangstas" had Fred 'The Hammer' Williamson as one of it's stars.  Williamson played football for Gary Froebel High School in the 1950's.  In fact I saw him play. Fred went on to Northwestern University.  And later played 8 seasons of professional football for the Steelers, Raiders, and Chiefs.... before winding up in Los Angeles, where he either directed, produced or starred in at least 30 movies. 

Great list by the way.

Archived