The Best Decade for Rock n Roll ?

milehiiu

Mile.  Having trouble with this one based on the definition of 'Rock'.  For example, Buddy Holly was considered 'Rock' in the 50's, but if he had came on the scene in the 90's. his style of music would likely not have been considered Rock.  Same thing with someone like Billy Joel.  Rock in the 70's.  That type of music would be Adult Contemporary today.

I will say this.  I have satellite radio in my car.  One of the stations I listen to the most is Classic Rewind, which roughly covers the period between 1975 and 1985.  My teenage years fall right in that time-frame.  So, my decade probably runs from the mid-70's to the mid-80's.  

That said, I do love a lot of early to mid 60's stuff as well (Beatles, Motown, Beach Boys, etc.).  I don't care as much for the late 60's Woodstock type music.  

I hated the 90's grunge crap.  But, there is a lot of stuff since the turn of the century that I like as well.  

^^ I'm pretty similar to you Fouls -- teenage years 1980s.

I'd go with the 70's (Led Zep etc.), but unlike you I loved 90's Nirvana grunge rock, and still listen to Nirvana. There were some good bands in the 80s, and the 60's gave birth to the Beatles (1967-70 was some great stuff) and Stones, but for me the 70s were killer.  

Listened to Buddy Holly and Beatles exclusively at work, mid to late week.  Have listened mostly to Dylan, Everly Brothers and some progressive type country at home this weekend.

50s and 60s to mid 70s remains my go to catalog, but I listen to everything over a period of time.  I was just on a Hendrix, Cream and Blues jag with some Steve Earle thrown in.

Go Hoosiers!

21 hours ago, Naturalhoosier said:

I'm going with the 80s.  The hair metal era.  Metallica, GnR, AC/DC (though they started in the late-70s I believe?) etc.  Even Poison, Def Leppard, etc.  Big fan of Dream Theatre.  

I enjoy Rolling Stones and some 90s grunge too, but not too much.  Prog Rock seems to be my go to right now.

Every time I get in my car after my wife drives it, the first thing I have to do is take the satellite radio off the 'Hair Nation' channel.  I do that before I even adjust the seat and the mirrors.  I can't stand hair band music.

P.S.  I don't consider GnR to be a hair band.  I don't care for most of their music, but Sweet Child O' Mine might be the greatest rock song of all time. 

6 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Every time I get in my car after my wife drives it, the first thing I have to do is take the satellite radio off the 'Hair Nation' channel.  I do that before I even adjust the seat and the mirrors.  I can't stand hair band music.

P.S.  I don't consider GnR to be a hair band.  I don't care for most of their music, but Sweet Child O' Mine might be the greatest rock song of all time. 

Any woman who marries you clearly needs to be a head banger. O.o

Archived