Will Calbert's Big Ten Scoring Record Last Forever?

5fouls

Calbert scored 2,613 points in his college career.  Since he graduated in 1993, the only player that has truly approached that mark is Shawn Respert, who graduated in 1995 with 2,531. Since the turn of the century, Alondo Tucker, who graduated in 2007 with 2,217 has the most.  That's almost 400 points behind Calbert (the equivalent of scoring 20 points per game for 20 games).

With star players no longer staying 2 years, let alone 4, it seems less and less likely that anyone will ever touch Calbert's mark.  Recent 4 year stars like Yogi Ferrell (1,986) and Nigel Hayes n(1,857)  just don't put up huge enough numbers early in their career to even approach Calbert.  If they did, they would be gone.

What would it take for someone to even get close to Calbert, let alone break the record?   Here are some things I could come up with.

1) Some sort of extended NBA work stoppage (1-2 years in length) that keeps a star sophomore in school for his Junior and Senior years.

2) A gunner with little shot at the NBA that plays for a cellar-dwelling program such as Nebraska, Rutgers, or Penn State.  

3) The NCAA increases the number of regular season games a school can play.

So, what does HSN think.  Will anyone challenge Calbert in the future?  And, if so, what are the conditions that would allow a player to do that?

I think a Steve Alford like player playing on a low to mid level Big Ten team will eventually break the record.   Jimmer Fredette is another good example who came very close to Calbert with 2,599 college career points, albeit not in the Big Ten.  I hope someone gets close to bring attention to Calbert, who is one of my favorite players.

Curiosity got the best of me to see who the college career leaders are.   Most people would know Pete Maravich is the leader at 3,667.   I never would have guess the next three: Freeman Williams, Lionel Simmons, and Alphonso Ford.   Again, getting off track being outside the Big Ten, but interesting nonetheless.  Calbert is not in the top 25 nationally.

20 points a game.  And, say a team can average 35 games a year.  That's 700 points a year, which would equate to 2800 points in a 4 year career.  I could see a coaches kid (think someone like a Bryce Alford) at a place like  Rutgers or Nebraska pulling ti off.   But, that's a lot of things that have to come together perfectly to make that happen. 

Odds are some kid will slips below the NBA standard of athleticism and have a huge four year scoring career at some point. Records just don't last forever. Odds are an anomaly will come along at some point who slips between the cracks of college talent and NBA talent who will do it. Lord knows when that will happen though. I hope not for a LONG time! 

9 hours ago, JerseyHoosier said:

Odds are some kid will slips below the NBA standard of athleticism and have a huge four year scoring career at some point. Records just don't last forever. Odds are an anomaly will come along at some point who slips between the cracks of college talent and NBA talent who will do it. Lord knows when that will happen though. I hope not for a LONG time! 

I would add to the above - likely playing for a low level D-1 school.

Archived